• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Abortion: Mom dies or baby dies. Whose life do you choose?

Whose life do you choose?

• Mom

Votes: 16 80.0%
  • Baby

Votes: 4 20.0%

• Total voters

Heyo

Veteran Member
Mom's in labor. A complication has arisen. You have to choose between your SO's life or your baby's. Who do you choose and why?
Is there already an heir? Then save the mother, otherwise: Is it a girl? Then save the mother, otherwise save the boy.
That was the practise for a long time throughout cultures and classes.
Fortunately we are past that.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Even though I voted for the mother surviving, as pointed out, probably the mother should have the last vote. And the circumstances of the mother should obviously be considered. A mother dying, whilst having several children to look after already, makes no sense at all. And overall, the mother's life has to take precedence over an unborn child because, even if we might propose an equal value to all human life, this just isn't so. We might not know what kind of human any child will turn out to be - as always - but what right have we to terminate a life that is ongoing, if it can be saved? There are no winners in these scenarios but some losses are just not worth considering.

Last edited:

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Sorry @SalixIncendium , but your question is poorly phrased. I chose “Mom”.
However, given the title of the thread as well as your questions and your OP, I’m not sure if I’m choosing mom to die or mom to live. Can you please rewrite the OP to make it clear?

Thank you for pointing this out. I’ve edited the question for clarity.

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/they/it/neopronouns
I almost didn't vote...the reason being is that I cannot have biological children unless by surrogacy(which I never plan to do for the reason being Id be forcing someone to go through something painful Id be able to do and its expensive)nor do I plan on entering the medical field.So I figured the question to be irrelevant. But I thought about this and figured well what if I changed my mind about surrogacy? In which case that is a possible situation that could arise. I think Id rather have the mother live as in that case. She did not sign up to die in childbirth. But I can imagine itd be a hard choice. I also would like to point to those of you who say you could always have another child thats not always the case. This situation becomes more complex if you consider the fact that some people go through virtro-fertilization in order to have a child that this might be their last chance.

Edit I voted before you added the SO part...so my answer is now irrelevant...
Edit: my answer might not be irrelevant after all...I am ok with polyamory and Ive been known to be romantically attracted to both males and females...as a result there is the possiblity of me having a significant other who I am married to who could end up in such a situation...in the event I was unable to know what she'd want Id choose her life after all the baby is much less likely to be able to be saved and I have a history with the mother.

Last edited:

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Edit I voted before you added the SO part...so my answer is now irrelevant...

The SO part was not added. It was in the original OP. The only part I added was "to live" to clarify what one was choosing.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Mom's in labor. A complication has arisen.

You have to choose between your SO's life or your baby's

IMO:

Note: This is purely hypothetical for me, because at age 10 I already decided "I never marry, and I don't want children"
Note: My POV is from a man who does not break a promise, and who likes to be married and have sex and children (in this order)

Before the complication happens, I would discuss this with my wife. It's her body, so the woman decides
My personal choice, being a man, would be that the baby is killed and that the mother is not killed

I rather avoid last minute rash decisions I might later regret, so..
Preferably I would have this simple but essential talk way before having sex the first time
I would have the talk before the first date. Why? This issue could be a deal breaker
It's smart to tackle such important deal breakers before starting the deal

Who do you choose and why?
I choose to marry a woman, who chooses to have the baby killed and not to have herself killed

Why I choose such a wife?
1) I don't break my promise. I promised "Till death us depart". To kill her is not what is meant with this
2) I am vegetarian, so I avoid killing sentient beings, hence wife is not killed if it can be avoided

Note: I assume that the complication is such, that "the wife is killed (indirectly or directly) to safe the baby"

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
In such a scenario it is very rarely a choice.
I was a stuck breach baby in the 1930's.
Had nothing been done we would both have died.
A late stage caesarean was performed . we both survived.
Though at that time, that was more luck than judgement.
The only option was to go ahead and try.

The doctors always attempt to save both. it is the circumstances and complications that decide the issue.
The Idea that there is ever a choice is largely Fictional.

It is very difficult to even think of a situation where there could be a choice.

Suave

Simulated character
Mom's in labor. A complication has arisen. You have to choose between your SO's life or your baby's. Who do you choose to live and why?

This would be an awful predicament I'd wish nobody to be in. This is why I'd like there to be a government research program into the development of ectogenesis. Meanwhile, my significant other's life is well insured with me being the beneficiary, so that our child would be well taken care of if we found ourselves in such a terrible dilemma.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
If was choosing for myself i would vote baby lives. As a mom i know that is based on pure emotion. However i did vote mom to live if i was making that decision for someone else. Although it would depend on several factors. Age of mother, likelihood of another conception, any existing children, fathers feelings.