• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Abortion and Parental Notification?

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
nutshell said:
Then you get a waiver from the court.
How long does it take to get a waiver from the court nutshell?

If it takes a long time I would think that one concern is that first trimester abortions are vastly preferable to later term abortions. Given that it would probably take a month or so for the teen to figure out that she is pregnant we're looking at a two-month window at most.

s2a

Heretic and part-time (skinny) Santa impersonator
Nutshell said:

You're thinking is exactly what's wrong with many of those who voted "No" on the CA prop. You're thinking would have been accurate a year ago, but this time, the prop. was changed to include language that allowed for pregnant minors to get quick court permission to waive the parent notification requirement. Therefore, under this statute, the "good" parents will be notified and the "bad" parents you describe will not because the pregnant minor can get a waiver.

I present the previously put question again:
"What prevailing or compelling overriding interest does the State possess in determining (legislating/mandating) the reproductive health or available [health/medical] options of any fertile female, regadless of their age?"

As far as the State is concerned, in either custodial support, financial assistance, or child placement issues--these are only borne and incumbent upon the State once a birth (either intended or unplanned/undesired) of a child has taken place. Undelivered fetus' have no civil rights, no constitutional protections/guarantees, nor legal standing as individualistic persons. The State does however bear responsibility to equal enforcement of civil/criminal laws, and insuring protections of civil rights and liberties of all individual citizens, regardless of their age, gender, marital status, or qualitative assessments of familial attachments.
You said:
Now, those who oppose the waiver idea say these "troubled" girls aren't savvy enough to negotiate the court system. Certianly that would be a concern, but if a girl is going to an organization such as Planned Parenthood, certainly that organization is savvy enough to assist the girl in getting the waiver.

This counterpoint strikes me as comparable to the State arguing that availability of free access to a legal medical procedure is borne solely by the patient alone. Does in fact, the State bear any responsibility in providing free access to 911 emergency services, fire department responses, or emergency care transportation (like ambulances)? Is access to these State funded services contingent upon previous court order, petition, or lent consent?
Should they be?
Should the State err in favor of emergency needs and concerns, or mandate elements of legal standards and procedures as qualifier for such access?
When a five-year-old dials 9-1-1, and reports that his mommy is suddenly "asleep" on the kitchen floor, does the State err in favor of prospective emergency, or does it mandate some element of adult confirmation and assesment /validation first?

Shessh. Just how much power and authority do we ultimately wish to cede to imposed government control and influence over our personal choices and lives, especially in times of emergency or dire personal consequence?

[Note: It seems utterly ironic to me that most self-proclaimed "conservatives" seek to reduce the role and influence of government in personal lives and liberties. Certainly, gun ownership advocates wish to limit or eradicate all governmental regulations of legal possession of rightfully protected firearms. No one like the idea of government reading their private written correspondence; monitoring their phone calls; tracking their activities of group affiliations; or dictating what they can buy, watch, drive, or legally consume (be it booze, cigarettes, or mutually consentual sexual relations). If elements of personal privacy are overridden by some ill-defined (or utterly absent compelling) argument of State concern or interest , then what is the measure of personal freedoms and liberty?

When state-imposed barriers to personal freedoms are erected, it makes them all that much more difficult to dissemble once they are established.

No one "favors" abortion as primary contraceptive.
No one favors (or advocates) unprotected sex amongst minors.
No one condones adults having sex with minors.
No one advocates abusive, absent, or single-parenting environments as ideal for homone-laden teens.
NO ONE.

Should parents of a teen bearing an unintented/unwanted pregnancy be involved (ideally) in the legally protected choice of medically-available remedies as alternative to full-term deliveries? Of course they should...ideally.

Ideally, all teens burdened with the prospects of a life-altering choice could/should call upon a trusting, loving, involved and engaged, two-parent familial foundation. But statistically, teens with two married parents living under the same roof constitute a minority today.
Idealism is an opportunistic goal.
Realism is reasonably and intelligently grappling with the "less than ideal" contemporarily presented scenario.

Should the State (and society-at-large) err in favor of the present-day realities, or impose legal barriers to hopefully manifest or enforce an ever elusive and waning ideal?

What is the State's overriding concerns in this? A teenager's health and repoductive choices, or ensuring the protection of parental sensibilities and involvement in both free access and self-determination?

s2a

Heretic and part-time (skinny) Santa impersonator
BUDDY said:
It sounds like many people are confusing parental notification with parental permission. I think that in all cases, parents should be notified of what is happening to their child medically.
Red Herring.

Parents ARE legally accountable for their minor children's actions. "Parental notification" connotes an automatic legal responsibility of parental imposition and accountable aspects of ensured/exercised (as opposed to insured) health care supervision and treatment for their minor children.

Ideally, parental consent would be legally required before any teen might engage in a sexual act that may lead to a heighten prospect of an unintended pregnancy. Perhaps a sought court order of parental permission for their teenage children to sexually experiment with their peers would be appropriate? Of course, for any parent to responsibly seek such legal cover, they would need their teenage kids to inform them beforehand of their intent to engage in such sexual experimentations.
Ideally, that would always be the circumstance.
Realistically...well...
...I had my first sexual experience when I was 12. I know that I didn't ask for my parent's permission or countenance in so doing beforehand. I know even today that I never would have, whether or not they might have been called to legally/parentally consent to such an encounter.

Kids are funny that way...

Ozzie

s2a said:
Nutshell said:

"What prevailing or compelling overriding interest does the State possess in determining (legislating/mandating) the reproductive health or available [health/medical] options of any fertile female, regadless of their age?"

As far as the State is concerned, in either custodial support, financial assistance, or child placement issues--these are only borne and incumbent upon the State once a birth (either intended or unplanned/undesired) of a child has taken place. Undelivered fetus' have no civil rights, no constitutional protections/guarantees, nor legal standing as individualistic persons. The State does however bear responsibility to equal enforcement of civil/criminal laws, and insuring protections of civil rights and liberties of all individual citizens, regardless of their age, gender, marital status, or qualitative assessments of familial attachments.
You said:

This counterpoint strikes me as comparable to the State arguing that availability of free access to a legal medical procedure is borne solely by the patient alone. Does in fact, the State bear any responsibility in providing free access to 911 emergency services, fire department responses, or emergency care transportation (like ambulances)? Is access to these State funded services contingent upon previous court order, petition, or lent consent?
Should they be?
Should the State err in favor of emergency needs and concerns, or mandate elements of legal standards and procedures as qualifier for such access?
When a five-year-old dials 9-1-1, and reports that his mommy is suddenly "asleep" on the kitchen floor, does the State err in favor of prospective emergency, or does it mandate some element of adult confirmation and assesment /validation first?

Shessh. Just how much power and authority do we ultimately wish to cede to imposed government control and influence over our personal choices and lives, especially in times of emergency or dire personal consequence?

[Note: It seems utterly ironic to me that most self-proclaimed "conservatives" seek to reduce the role and influence of government in personal lives and liberties. Certainly, gun ownership advocates wish to limit or eradicate all governmental regulations of legal possession of rightfully protected firearms. No one like the idea of government reading their private written correspondence; monitoring their phone calls; tracking their activities of group affiliations; or dictating what they can buy, watch, drive, or legally consume (be it booze, cigarettes, or mutually consentual sexual relations). If elements of personal privacy are overridden by some ill-defined (or utterly absent compelling) argument of State concern or interest , then what is the measure of personal freedoms and liberty?

When state-imposed barriers to personal freedoms are erected, it makes them all that much more difficult to dissemble once they are established.

No one "favors" abortion as primary contraceptive.
No one favors (or advocates) unprotected sex amongst minors.
No one condones adults having sex with minors.
No one advocates abusive, absent, or single-parenting environments as ideal for homone-laden teens.
NO ONE.

Should parents of a teen bearing an unintented/unwanted pregnancy be involved (ideally) in the legally protected choice of medically-available remedies as alternative to full-term deliveries? Of course they should...ideally.

Ideally, all teens burdened with the prospects of a life-altering choice could/should call upon a trusting, loving, involved and engaged, two-parent familial foundation. But statistically, teens with two married parents living under the same roof constitute a minority today.
Idealism is an opportunistic goal.
Realism is reasonably and intelligently grappling with the "less than ideal" contemporarily presented scenario.

Should the State (and society-at-large) err in favor of the present-day realities, or impose legal barriers to hopefully manifest or enforce an ever elusive and waning ideal?

What is the State's overriding concerns in this? A teenager's health and repoductive choices, or ensuring the protection of parental sensibilities and involvement in both free access and self-determination?

Idealism has nothing to do with the context of this debate. Unless you are willing to accord minors moral conscience equivalent to their parents, discussing the pros and cons of allowing a choice for minors with respect to abortion is superfluous. The State is a bystander in the debate which is really about developmental equivalence. On these grounds the State must intervene if parental responsibility is abdicated.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Ozzie said:
Idealism has nothing to do with the context of this debate. Unless you are willing to accord minors moral conscience equivalent to their parents, discussing the pros and cons of allowing a choice for minors with respect to abortion is superfluous. The State is a bystander in the debate which is really about developmental equivalence. On these grounds the State must intervene if parental responsibility is abdicated.
I don't think that's necessarily the case. We do not have to accord minors moral conscience equivalent to their parents. All we have to do is believe that they have enough moral conscience to be able to make this decision for themselves.

Ryan2065

Hrm... this is a tough debate... In many cases, parental notification equals parental consent. You parents can make your life a living hell if they feel you just murdered their grandson/daughter... And while teenagers are all "rebellious" most are all talk and no action.

Over all I'd say no... teenagers shouldn't need to tell their parents if they are going to have an abortion or not... The one exception I could see is if the doctor or whoever is going to perform the abortion thinks the mothers life might be in danger from the procedure.

An interesting side note... I have a friend who got pregnant at 15 and her parents forced her to get an abortion... Yea, she really wanted the baby but they made her get the abortion.

nutshell

lilithu said:
How long does it take to get a waiver from the court nutshell?

If it takes a long time I would think that one concern is that first trimester abortions are vastly preferable to later term abortions. Given that it would probably take a month or so for the teen to figure out that she is pregnant we're looking at a two-month window at most.

Special proceedings would allow for it to happen very quickly, not a month.

nutshell

s2a said:
Nutshell said:

Your analysis is flawed because what you've quoted as the "previously put question" is not the question of the OP, which is what you responded to. It was your response to the OP, not the question you've created above, that I made my response to you.

nutshell

lilithu said:
I don't think that's necessarily the case. We do not have to accord minors moral conscience equivalent to their parents. All we have to do is believe that they have enough moral conscience to be able to make this decision for themselves.

Whether they can make this decision themselves or not is irrelevant. They are by definition a MINOR. This means parents have responsibility and should be notified. If notifing the parents creates an unreasonable risk to the overall health of the MINOR, then a court waiver is appropriate.

If we want to decide that "they have enough moral conscience to be able to make this decision for themselves" then lower the age of the majority to 16 or whatever is deemed appropriate and give them all the rights of an adult.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
nutshell said:
Whether they can make this decision themselves or not is irrelevant. They are by definition a MINOR. This means parents have responsibility and should be notified. If notifing the parents creates an unreasonable risk to the overall health of the MINOR, then a court waiver is appropriate.

If we want to decide that "they have enough moral conscience to be able to make this decision for themselves" then lower the age of the majority to 16 or whatever is deemed appropriate and give them all the rights of an adult.
It's not a simple black and white line set at 18.

The legal age for drinking is 21.
The legal age for driving in most states is 16.
The legal age for consent to sex varies from state to state with most being under 18.
In every state minors can be tried as an adult for a violent crime, in at least one case as young as 11.

To me it does not make sense that we recognize the ability of persons under 18 to consent to sex but do not recognize their ability to make decisions related to the consequences of sex. It does not make sense that we deem persons under 18 cognizantly fit and morally responsible enough to stand trial as an adult yet we do not recognize them as able to make moral decisions regarding their own bodies.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
lilithu said:
It does not make sense that we deem persons under 18 cognizantly fit and morally responsible enough to stand trial as an adult yet we do not recognize them as able to make moral decisions regarding their own bodies.

No one has yet to answer my question. Why can't a 16 have a tubal ligation?

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Buttercup said:
No one has yet to answer my question. Why can't a 16 have a tubal ligation?
I fail to understand the significance of your question. There are a lot of things that 16 can do and a lot a 16 year old can't do. I don't know the answer "why" to any of them.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
lilithu said:
I fail to understand the significance of your question. There are a lot of things that 16 can do and a lot a 16 year old can't do. I don't know the answer "why" to any of them.
I ask the question because a 16 year old isn't completely capable of making solid choices concerning every sexual decision regarding their bodies. I find it ironic that some think a girl of 16 is old enough to spend the night in the hospital and undergo a very painful, surgical procedure without a parent involved yet they are not old enough to decide they never want children. A girl of 16 would never be allowed to have a tubal ligation. It's ironic I think.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Buttercup said:
I find it ironic that some think a girl of 16 is old enough to spend the night in the hospital and undergo a very painful, surgical procedure without a parent involved yet they are not old enough to decide they never want children. A girl of 16 would never be allowed to have a tubal ligation. It's ironic I think.
I don't. If all we're talking about is surgical procedures one is much more invasive than the other.

nutshell

lilithu said:
It's not a simple black and white line set at 18.

The legal age for drinking is 21.
The legal age for driving in most states is 16.
The legal age for consent to sex varies from state to state with most being under 18.
In every state minors can be tried as an adult for a violent crime, in at least one case as young as 11.

And the law is set up to handle each of the situations you described and yet it is not set up to handle the issue here. What's the difference? You've just pointed out a discrepancy. Thank you.

lilithu said:
To me it does not make sense that we recognize the ability of persons under 18 to consent to sex but do not recognize their ability to make decisions related to the consequences of sex. It does not make sense that we deem persons under 18 cognizantly fit and morally responsible enough to stand trial as an adult yet we do not recognize them as able to make moral decisions regarding their own bodies.

Boys and girls (not men and women) are starting puberty earlier and earlier. If 12 year olds consent to sex an get pregnant then they can make decisions as to the consequences? Is that really what you believe? What if they're 11 or 10? Where do you draw the line?

nutshell

lilithu said:

Nice avoidance.

I think Buttercup's point is that we're willing to control one aspect of a minor's reproductive capability so why not another? Some reasoning would be nice.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
lilithu said:
I don't. If all we're talking about is surgical procedures one is much more invasive than the other.
Hmmm. I don't know about that. I had a tubal ligation and it's done through the belly button. A later term abortion can be very invasive....or even an earlier term abortion uses several instruments to dilate the cervix. I don't want to go into more detail and get off topic.

I simply abhor the law that a child of 15 or 16 can have a medical operation done without a parent's consent. It's heartbreaking all around to me. :(

nutshell

lilithu said:

You don't think an abortion is invasive? There are potentially lifetime physical and psychological issues that will result from the abortion.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
At some age, whether 13, 16, 18, or some other age, a child should be able to get an abortion without notifying their parents. What age do you think that should be?

nutshell

Sunstone said:
At some age, whether 13, 16, 18, or some other age, a child should be able to get an abortion without notifying their parents. What age do you think that should be?

Right now, my interpretation of the law of the land is 18, but I'm willing for that to be changed.