• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Word About the Nephilim

SethZaddik

A Word About the Nephilim

I have an either-or response to the text about the Nephilim. First, when Ezra, the most famous Scribe in the History of Israel organized the Tanach into the Canon when still in Babylon, he found, for some reason useful to add the text about the Nephilim in Genesis 6, just prior to the Flood to illustrate the condition of Mankind by then. The text existed already as a folkloric legend in Babylon literature.

On the other hand, the text could be looked at as mix-marriages between the children of God with the daughters of man, expressions very common when Ezra was dealing with the struggle to solve the problem with the fact that thousands of Jews had married non-Jewish women in Babylon and that was making extremely difficult for Ezra to establish the second Jewish Commonwealth in the post-exilic era after the 70 years in Babylon. IMHO, I go for the second interpretation because
it makes much more sense.

The most interesting aspect of the Enochian legend is the abandoned but actually valid interpretation that the Sons of Seth were the Watchers of Mt. Hermon.

If you compare Jubilees with Enoch you will discover the sons of Seth have the same names as Enochs Watchers.

While this is an abandoned interpretation I believe it is the correct one, the sons of Seth were not angels but Irim/Grigori/Watchers, the sons of God.

The sons of Cain are serpentine descending from either Lilith or Samael, this is in line with modern Zoharic thought, the Zohar itself.

Jubilees and Enoch are not canonical in the Orthodox world, but contain a wealth of information regarding this exact issue.

Rephaim existed in Gilgamesh lore, so I see your point about Ezra's adding Babylonian lore, Nimrod was possibly Gilgamesh, although it is not exact they are similar, it is also the oldest written story extant and contains the Deluge.

SethZaddik

I am sure you are not being serious about the materialization of angels into men. That's possible only in a dream or vision. Actually, angels are only spiritual emanations. Being so, they have nothing to do with corporeality.

I have read in Rabbinical literature that angels eat. I believe in the Talmud. Regarding the sons of Elohim it is the children of Seth that did not know sorrow until Adam explained it to them. They were not subject to the sin of Adam and Eve and didn't lose their divine status until they mated with the people they were to watch over, becoming corrupted.

This is the source of the "Gnostic" affinity for Seth, they knew this tradition and claimed Seth as their Patriarch and eventually as Christ.