• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A warning and a call to Baha’is from Baha’u’llah’s Universal House of Justice

Jim

Nets of Wonder
(edited for clarification)
“One Common Faith” is the name of a message from the Baha’i Universal House of Justice in 2005, addressed to the Baha’is of the world.
(end edit)

The message “One Common Faith” was not addressed to the people of the world. It was addressed to Baha’is, to discuss our responsibility in response to the harrowing, unthinkable, worldwide consequences ahead, if the disease of sectarian hatreds was not decisively checked. It is a response of the House of Justice to its own call to the world’s religious leaders in 2002. It is commended to Baha’is for thoughtful study, as a way for us to deepen our own understanding of the oneness of G_d and the oneness of religion, in response to a desperate need “for the religious spirit to be freed from the shackles that have so far prevented it from bringing to bear the healing influence of which it is capable.”

Along with what it says to help us deepen our own understanding of the oneness of G_d and the oneness of religion, it tells us some specific ways that we can respond, offline, to the challenge we’re facing. It does not specifically address what we can do online. I’ll be discussing what I’ve been trying and hoping to do. I’m hoping that some other Baha’is will read or re-read that message, and discuss with me its possible implications for what we do in Internet discussions.

Last edited:

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
The message “One Common Faith” was not addressed to the people of the world. It was addressed to Baha’is, to discuss our responsibility in response to the harrowing, unthinkable, worldwide consequences ahead, if the disease of sectarian hatreds was not decisively checked. It is a response of the House of Justice to its own call to the world’s religious leaders. It is commended to Baha’is for thoughtful study, as a way for us to deepen our own understanding of the oneness of G_d and the oneness of religion, in response to a desperate need “for the religious spirit to be freed from the shackles that have so far prevented it from bringing to bear the healing influence of which it is capable.”

Along with what it says to help us deepen our own understanding of the oneness of G_d and the oneness of religion, it tells us some specific ways that we can respond, offline, to the challenge we’re facing. It does not specifically address what we can do online. I’ll be discussing what I’ve been trying and hoping to do. I’m hoping that some other Baha’is will read or re-read that message, and discuss with me its possible implications for what we do in Internet discussions.

For me, one common faith reframes the message of Bahá’u’lláh using the language and context of the 21st century. We are asked to cultivate both within ourselves and in the social spaces around us a much more profound sense of the interconnectedness of humanities religious experience.

In regards what we do, our main focus should be on community building at a grassroots levels. Forums such as these are merely a vehicle to develop our understanding of our ‘One Common Faith’ with anyone interested in sharing that journey with us. In that sense RF is much more about ‘what can I learn’ and relationships with others than ‘what can I teach’.

Jim

Nets of Wonder
@adrian009 The reason I wanted to discuss “One Common Faith” is because I’ve seen Baha’is all over the Internet doing things that seem to me to help perpetuate and even reinforce religious and anti-religious prejudices and delusions. I see “One Common Faith” as possibly one way of helping to remedy that. I’m not sure that discussing that in this forum can make any difference, but I’m not sure it can’t. I’m sure that it would do me some good at the very least.

Jim

Nets of Wonder
Most likely should be in Baha'i DIR

That would exclude some people from the discussion that I wouldn’t want to exclude, including me, and would be an example of the perpetuation and reinforcement of sectarian attitudes and behavior that I’m objecting to.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
That would exclude some people from the discussion that I wouldn’t want to exclude, including me, and would be an example of the perpetuation and reinforcement of sectarian attitudes and behavior that I’m objecting to.

Discussion is fine, but then Vinayaka has a question that needs to be answered, what is the debate?

Regards Tony

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
@adrian009 The reason I wanted to discuss “One Common Faith” is because I’ve seen Baha’is all over the Internet doing things that seem to me to help perpetuate and even reinforce religious and anti-religious prejudices and delusions. I see “One Common Faith” as possibly one way of helping to remedy that. I’m not sure that discussing that in this forum can make any difference, but I’m not sure it can’t. I’m sure that it would do me some good at the very least.

One common faith has been a document that I’ve read many times and often think about. Although it was written for a Baha’i audience there’s no reason we can’t share many of the passages and insights with everyone.

I used to be bothered about some of the ‘Baha’i’ activities on line, especially after talisman and then a member of my Baha’i community had her membership removed by the Universal House of Justice. I ended up being appointed as an assistant to the ABM for protection and so had to become strong in the Covenant and assist my community to do the same. Having been on this forum for nearly two years I’ve learned so much from everyone here. It’s also a pleasure to see Baha’is and I just remember we’re all on a journey and to be patient and kind.

The internet isn’t representative of either my Baha’i community or wider community and attracts many people on the fringes. Sometimes I just cringe at what my fellow Baha’i writes and other times I may say something. But as soon as I imagine for one second that I’ve risen above it all, God reminds me I have a name to be wise yet inwardly I’m just as much a fool as the next guy lol.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
I really enjoyed your thread in regards the Qur’an and Jesus being the son of God. It was an excellent education for us all and a reminder that no matter what is said some people just aren’t quite ready to see both the Qur’an and the Gospels as authentic.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If the thread title and my previous posts haven’t answered that question for you, I don’t know what else to say.

ETA:

Are you a moderator, and if so, is your question to me for moderating purposes?

As you have noted, I see the document One Common Faith was a collection of thoughts for a Baha'i to consider. It was a follow up on the 2002 message to the worlds religious leaders. I am not sure how it is debatable outside of its purpose.

It contains much wisdom, but I wonder who else will read it and debate the content?

Unless of course you wish for Baha'i's to offer input on their thoughts as to what it says.

It has been a while since I have read it, I will read it again.

Regards Tony

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Are you a moderator, and if so, is that question for moderating purposes?

Currently there about 10 Baha’is who are actively involved on RF and quite a few others who are asking Baha’is the hard questions as would be expected. Vinayaka is one of them. He’s a Saivite Hindu, retired school teacher and critic of the Baha’i Faith.

Jim

Nets of Wonder
@Tony Bristow-Stagg I’m hoping to discuss, with some other followers of Baha’u’llah, what we’re doing and could be doing online about the issues discussed in “One Common Faith.” If anyone else is interested in that discussion, I would welcome them saying whatever they want to say about it.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Are you a moderator, and if so, is that question for moderating purposes?
I'm not a moderator. The OP wasn't clear to me, and you put it in debates, so I was truly wondering what you wanted to debate. Besides that, there has been a history of people using the debates, as a guise for presenting their views without any actual feedback. Anyone who does respond is just ignored or talked right past.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
@Tony Bristow-Stagg I’m hoping to discuss, with some other followers of Baha’u’llah, what we’re doing and could be doing online about the issues discussed in “One Common Faith.” If anyone else is interested in that discussion, I would welcome them saying whatever they want to say about it.

People can always start their own threads.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
If the thread title and my previous posts haven’t answered that question for you, I don’t know what else to say.

I'll bite, although with great trepidation for it being worthwhile.

Okay, since you won't clarify, I'll make a guess. Is it that you're saying all the Baha'i teachings apply only to Baha'i, and not to humanity? If that is the case, and I'm not sure if it is at all, then wouldn't it make a lot more sense, in Baha'ispeak, to replace the words mankind, humanity, the human race, etc. with the term 'Baha'i?

Jim

Nets of Wonder
@adrian009 @Tony Bristow-Stagg

Before I start discussing the message, I want to post some of my current thoughts and feelings about the issues involved. Part of the context is my vision of the the future, and part of it is the 2002 message from the House of Justice to the world’s religious leaders.

I think that as time goes by, more and more people will learn to value all people everywhere, and care what happens to them, more and more, without devaluing people across imaginary dividing lines. On that topic, recently from a discussion here I had a new insight into that. I think now that religious and anti-religious prejudices go hand in hand with national and race prejudices. Anything we do help free people from one will help free them from the others. Unfortunately that might mean that there’s still a lot more race prejudice than there might appear to be, considering how widely and shamelessly religious and anti-religious prejudices are still being promoted.

However that may be, as I was saying, I think that in the coming decades, more and more people will learn to value all people everywhere, and care what happens to them, more and more, without devaluing people across imaginary dividing lines. I think that eventually that will grow and spread enough that the oppression, vandalism and violence that we’re seeing now will stop increasing and start decreasing. I think that at the same time, governments and other institutions of society will evolve in ways that no one can foresee, to better serve the interests of people who value all people everywhere, and care what happens to them, without devaluing people across imaginary dividing lines.

That’s part of my vision of the future, and part of the context for some of my ideas about what followers of Baha’u’llah can do online about the issues discussed in “One Common Faith.”