• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A temptation too far?

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
While this is disturbing, the title of the article is misleading. It was not a 20 year old having sex with a 13 year old boy. She was a 17 year old girl at the time, and twice shortly after she turned 18, when he would have been 14. To be accurate, the article should have been titled, "17 year old had sex with a 13 year old". But that doesn't grab viewers as much as making her 20 at the time, which she wasn't. Just saying, it's dishonest the way they worded that.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
While this is disturbing, the title of the article is misleading. It was not a 20 year old having sex with a 13 year old boy. She was a 17 year old girl at the time, and twice shortly after she turned 18, when he would have been 14. The article should be titled, "17 year old had sex with a 13 year old". But that doesn't grab viewers as much. Just saying, it's a little dishonest the way it's worded.

Agreed, very disturbing story and factually inaccurate.

It is after all the daily mail, one can expect dishonest, sensationalised, hyped up, attention grabbing headlines.

The daily mail is rated low for factual reporting in mediabiasfactchech.com.

Wikipedia bans its use as an unreliable source and has described it as a newspaper that has "mastered the art of running stories that aren’t true"

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I don’t think it would’ve been a problem when she was 17 but after she turned 18 that’s statutory rape. Stupid stupid stupid. What’s the saying? “Less than 18 gets you 20”.

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
Married nursery worker, 20, had sex with a 13-year-old boy 'twice a month' | Daily Mail Online

Attractive young woman, such that what 13-year-old boy could probably resist getting sexually involved with her, especially when she made all the moves apparently? I doubt I would have resisted - for more than a few seconds at that age - but genders reversed? Still very much abuse even when the child most likely rather enjoys the encounters.
Why do a lot of (older straight) guys make gross remarks like that about these cases? Males are not sex robots void of an emotional life. I know you wouldn't say that crap if the adult was a man, so don't say it when the adult is a woman. We don't need to know your sex fantasies. A child is a child and an adult has no business taking advantage of them. That mentality makes it harder for male victims to be taken seriously when other guys have these perverted ideas about it. "You're a guy, so you must've wanted it!" Disgusting.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Why do a lot of (older straight) guys make gross remarks like that about these cases? Males are not sex robots void of an emotional life. I know you wouldn't say that crap if the adult was a man, so don't say it when the adult is a woman. We don't need to know your sex fantasies. A child is a child and an adult has no business taking advantage of them. That mentality makes it harder for male victims to be taken seriously when other guys have these perverted ideas about it. "You're a guy, so you must've wanted it!" Disgusting.

Get lost! I know what I might have fantasised as a 13-year-old, such that he was an easy target for her.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
As remarked, the Daily Mail is exactly the type of news media to make the most of the age differences.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
You got lost with your perverted notions. I must've touched a nerve.

Stop trying to be clever. I was positioning myself back at school and I quite distinctly remember having fantasies concerning some of the more attractive female teachers, and I hardly think I would have been unique. Nothing to do with what I might think now so just STOP IT!

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
Stop trying to be clever. I was positioning myself back at school and I quite distinctly remember having fantasies concerning some of the more attractive female teachers, and I hardly think I would have been unique. Nothing to do with what I might think now so just STOP IT!
You need to stop being so damn hysterical. I just get sick of guys making gross comments like yours. Stop projecting your desires or fantasies onto others. You have no idea how that boy felt about it or how any other boy would feel about it. Stop making assumptions. Because it's similar to saying that a rape victim must've really wanted it if the rapist was attractive. There's so much wrong with that that I don't know where to begin.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
You need to stop being so damn hysterical. I just get sick of guys making gross comments like yours. Stop projecting your desires or fantasies onto others. You have no idea how that boy felt about it or how any other boy would feel about it. Stop making assumptions. Because it's similar to saying that a rape victim must've really wanted it if the rapist was attractive. There's so much wrong with that that I don't know where to begin.

Oh yeah. You might like to look at your response before accusing me of anything - hostile much? You can disagree all you like with what I proposed but don't go around misconstruing what I said because of that. I am suggesting that it is often easier to seduce a boy of that age, if it was such, because boys and girls do differ, and especially since girls are generally more mature at that age too. I was thinking back to when I was that age and recognising the behaviours so common then, and I don't think boys have changed a great deal since - because such things just don't change that readily, even if attitudes have. So nothing to do with fantasising. Keep that in your sordid little head!

HonestJoe

I don’t think it would’ve been a problem when she was 17 but after she turned 18 that’s statutory rape. Stupid stupid stupid. What’s the saying? “Less than 18 gets you 20”.
It’s in the UK where the age of consent is 16 so she was legally an adult throughout. Even if both parties are underage, a large enough age difference can still get the older in trouble, though such cases are usually handled more lightly where it was a nominally consensual relationship. This case seems much more of a one-sided pursuit by the woman anyway. If the genders had been reversed (or a man and a boy), I’ve no doubt the Daily Mail would have made that aspect much clearer. If they hadn’t gotten hold of a batch of pictures of an attractive young woman to splash through the article, I doubt they would have published at all.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
It’s in the UK where the age of consent is 16 so she was legally an adult throughout. Even if both parties are underage, a large enough age difference can still get the older in trouble, though such cases are usually handled more lightly where it was a nominally consensual relationship. This case seems much more of a one-sided pursuit by the woman anyway. If the genders had been reversed (or a man and a boy), I’ve no doubt the Daily Mail would have made that aspect much clearer. If they hadn’t gotten hold of a batch of pictures of an attractive young woman to splash through the article, I doubt they would have published at all.

I think an age difference of four years (presumably here) is often seen as a problem, although no doubt there are exceptions. And this has been published much the same by at least two other news outlets.

HonestJoe

I think an age difference of four years (presumably here) is often seen as a problem, although no doubt there are exceptions.
True, and I think the somewhat predatory element is probably as significant too. It could be being misrepresented but it feels fairly clear cut on the basis of what has been reported.

And this has been published much the same by at least two other news outlets.
As I can see, The Metro, which is owned by the Daily Mail and commonly has replicated context and the Mirror, which is little better than the Mail and appears to have done the all-too-common copy-paste from the Mail with a handful of minor stylistic adjustments. The British tabloid industry is not in the business of news.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
True, and I think the somewhat predatory element is probably as significant too. It could be being misrepresented but it feels fairly clear cut on the basis of what has been reported.

As I can see, The Metro, which is owned by the Daily Mail and commonly has replicated context and the Mirror, which is little better than the Mail and appears to have done the all-too-common copy-paste from the Mail with a handful of minor stylistic adjustments. The British tabloid industry is not in the business of news.

I wish many more would recognise this. I feel I have to view many even though I sometimes just don't bother.

Audie

Veteran Member
Oh yeah. You might like to look at your response before accusing me of anything - hostile much? You can disagree all you like with what I proposed but don't go around misconstruing what I said because of that. I am suggesting that it is often easier to seduce a boy of that age, if it was such, because boys and girls do differ, and especially since girls are generally more mature at that age too. I was thinking back to when I was that age and recognising the behaviours so common then, and I don't think boys have changed a great deal since - because such things just don't change that readily, even if attitudes have. So nothing to do with fantasising. Keep that in your sordid little head!

I am a bit touchy myself on "blame the victim" as a thing,
but I did not see you doing that. fyi and all.

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
Well, who's the hostile one here?

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Well, who's the hostile one here?

Don't affect the innocent. You could have asked whether I might have had something else in mind when I posted the OP but instead you assumed something else and attacked me when it wasn't justified. I'll respond as I see fit.