• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Special Species

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
From the Howard Hughes Medical Center

Human Brain Evolution Was a 'Special Event'

Genes that control the size and complexity of the brain have undergone much more rapid evolution in humans than in non-human primates or other mammals, according to a new study by Howard Hughes Medical Institute researchers.

The accelerated evolution of these genes in the human lineage was apparently driven by strong selection. In the ancestors of humans, having bigger and more complex brains appears to have carried a particularly large advantage, much more so than for other mammals. These traits allowed individuals with “better brains” to leave behind more descendants. As a result, genetic mutations that produced bigger and more complex brains spread in the population very quickly. This led ultimately to a dramatic “speeding up” of evolution in genes controlling brain size and complexity.
“People in many fields, including evolutionary biology, anthropology and sociology, have long debated whether the evolution of the human brain was a special event,” said senior author Bruce Lahn of the Howard Hughes Medical Institute at the University of Chicago. “I believe that our study settles this question by showing that it was.”
Lahn and his colleagues reported their data in a research article published in the December 29, 2004, issue of the journal Cell.

< -- snip -- >​

One of the study's major surprises is the relatively large number of genes that have contributed to human brain evolution. “For a long time, people have debated about the genetic underpinning of human brain evolution,” said Lahn. “Is it a few mutations in a few genes, a lot of mutations in a few genes, or a lot of mutations in a lot of genes? The answer appears to be a lot of mutations in a lot of genes. We've done a rough calculation that the evolution of the human brain probably involves hundreds if not thousands of mutations in perhaps hundreds or thousands of genes — and even that is a conservative estimate.”

It is nothing short of spectacular that so many mutations in so many genes were acquired during the mere 20-25 million years of time in the evolutionary lineage leading to humans, according to Lahn. This means that selection has worked “extra-hard” during human evolution to create the powerful brain that exists in humans.

Varki points out that several major events in recent human evolution may reflect the action of strong selective forces, including the appearance of the genus Homo about 2 million years ago, a major expansion of the brain beginning about a half million years ago, and the appearance of anatomically modern humans about 150,000 years ago. "It's clear that human evolution did not occur in one fell swoop," he said, "which makes sense, given that the brain is such a complex organ."​
This, and some follow-up articles, constitute some interesting stuff. For one thing, I may well be forced to reconsider my views on SETI - something which actually pleases me greatly....

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
I'm not exactly sure what evidence was brought forth aside from some calculation which pins down where the mutations took place.

~Victor

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
It is an interesting ...part...of an ongoing story.
How does this compare to other large brained creatures?
Is it still ongoing in man?
Is it ongoing in other tool users?
What is the ultimate prognosis?

Terry____________________________
Amen! Truly I say to you: Gather in my name. I am with you.

Fatmop

Genes that control the size and complexity of the brain have undergone much more rapid evolution in humans than in non-human primates or other mammals, according to a new study by Howard Hughes Medical Institute researchers.
Of course, considering today's anti-intellectual atmosphere in political America, it may be that the trend toward higher brain capacity is finally thwarted. ;)

Victor- The findings of the study are explained in the link Deut provided. For example,

"
For each gene, Lahn and his colleagues counted the number of changes in the DNA sequence that altered the protein produced by the gene. They then obtained the rate of evolution for that gene by scaling the number of DNA changes to the amount of evolutionary time taken to make those changes.

By this measure, brain-related genes evolved much faster in humans and macaques than in mice and rats. In addition, the rate of evolution has been far greater in the lineage leading to humans than in the lineage leading to macaques."

Quiddity

Mr Spinkles said:
Victor- The findings of the study are explained in the link Deut provided. For example,

"
For each gene, Lahn and his colleagues counted the number of changes in the DNA sequence that altered the protein produced by the gene. They then obtained the rate of evolution for that gene by scaling the number of DNA changes to the amount of evolutionary time taken to make those changes.

By this measure, brain-related genes evolved much faster in humans and macaques than in mice and rats. In addition, the rate of evolution has been far greater in the lineage leading to humans than in the lineage leading to macaques."
What does "counted the number of changes in the DNA" mean? They saw evolution before their eyes?

~Victor

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Victor said:
What does "counted the number of changes in the DNA" mean? They saw evolution before their eyes?
MODS: is it possible to set up a naturalism forum where we can have serious discussion about relevent scientific developments? I really do not want to waste my time with creationist nonsense in this thread.

Quiddity

Deut. 10:19 said:
MODS: is it possible to set up a naturalism forum where we can have serious discussion about relevent scientific developments? I really do not want to waste my time with creationist nonsense in this thread.
Oh boy....I can't even ask questions. Just ask me to leave...much easier. :)

~Victor

Deut said:
As I noted, Mr. Spinkles, we may need to resurrect our SETI debate ...
I noticed that, but I don't quite understand. If anything, I would think that this "special species" business lends support to the uniqueness hypothesis.

Victor said:
Of course not, silly--at least, no more so than an archeologist sees history before her eyes when she examines ancient artifacts. I think it means exactly what it says: they counted the number of changes in the DNA. Presumably, changes in DNA result in certain distinct anomalies, just as lava flows leave features in a layer of rock, or comets and asteroids leave impact craters on the Moon, or a year of growth leaves rings inside a tree. You don't need to see all the lava flows or asteroids or years of growth firsthand to figure out how many times it happened in the past.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
very interesting thing indeed... The brain is a marvelously complex thing.

Its too bad we can't compair our DNA with any great detail against other hominids... I would love to know how the mutation rate in Modern Humans would comapair to say Neandertal or Erectus.

It seems possible this was our evolutionary edge over the other members of our Genus. However this certenly was the edge that all the line Homo had over say the Australopithicines.

*sigh* oh for a time machine...

Victor- our DNA has within it a measure of all the changes that have happined to it over time. For instance we can count back shared mutations in individuals tracing our ancestors within our species. This in a way is looking at "evolution in action" as you put it. :D

some exerpts that may help you:
The researchers focused their study on 214 brain-related genes, that is, genes involved in controlling brain development and function. They examined how the DNA sequences of these genes changed over evolutionary time in four species: humans, macaque monkeys, rats, and mice. Humans and macaques shared a common ancestor 20-25 million years ago, whereas rats and mice are separated by 16-23 million years of evolution. All four species shared a common ancestor about 80 million years ago.
For each gene, Lahn and his colleagues counted the number of changes in the DNA sequence that altered the protein produced by the gene. They then obtained the rate of evolution for that gene by scaling the number of DNA changes to the amount of evolutionary time taken to make those changes. By this measure, brain-related genes evolved much faster in humans and macaques than in mice and rats. In addition, the rate of evolution has been far greater in the lineage leading to humans than in the lineage leading to macaques.

The key is that we can now look at DNA and see just has changed over the millions of years. Modern Genetics can lay the evolutionary history of life out for amazingly easy reading, you can litterally look at the changes that happined between us and any other living thing. :cool:

wa:do

Steve

Deut. 10:19 said:
It is nothing short of spectacular that so many mutations in so many genes were acquired during the mere 20-25 million years of time in the evolutionary lineage leading to humans, according to Lahn. This means that selection has worked “extra-hard” during human evolution to create the powerful brain that exists in humans.
:biglaugh: "nothing short of spectacular", not wrong there. Almost unbelivable! - of course no faith involved though.

Steve is right, scientists can prove almost anything with their "research" and "knowledge of biochemistry", but the rest of us know that human evolution was caused by magic, not natural selection. Sheesh.

Quiddity

Mr Spinkles said:
Steve is right, scientists can prove almost anything with their "research" and "knowledge of biochemistry", but the rest of us know that human evolution was caused by magic, not natural selection. Sheesh.
I guess both is far-fetched...:rolleyes:

~Victor

Quiddity

Mr Spinkles said:
Of course not, silly--at least, no more so than an archeologist sees history before her eyes when she examines ancient artifacts. I think it means exactly what it says: they counted the number of changes in the DNA. Presumably, changes in DNA result in certain distinct anomalies, just as lava flows leave features in a layer of rock, or comets and asteroids leave impact craters on the Moon, or a year of growth leaves rings inside a tree. You don't need to see all the lava flows or asteroids or years of growth firsthand to figure out how many times it happened in the past.
Darn....:jam:

~Victor

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Mr Spinkles said:
Well, of course, everyone Knows that........:biglaugh: