• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A sign of the End Times?

A4B4

I came across the following verse the other day, prophesizing about the End Times:
"But you, Daniel, close up and seal the words of the scroll until the time of the end. Many will go here and there to increase knowledge." (Daniel 12:4, NIV)

The second clause caught my attention, especially since other translations say "...and knowledge shall be increased" (see New King James Version, American Standard Version, etc.) The New Life Version reads: "...and knowledge will be more and more."

Then I thought about how more and more non-Canonical texts were being discovered, at various locations. Anyone else think these new texts could be the medium by which we'll increase our knowledge?

BruceDLimber

Greetings!

I seriously doubt we'll learn a lot from non-canonical sources, though there are always a few possibilities, of course. Whether or not they'll be feasible to investigate seriously is another matter.

I'm a Baha'i, and IOV the sealing of the books spoken of in Daniel did indeed happen, but the seals were broken in the mid-Nineteenth Century by our Founder, Baha'u'llah. He wrote approximately half of what are now the 200 volumes of Baha'i scripture, and one of these in particular, The Book of Certitude (aka Kitab-i-Iqan), itself was the unsealing! (It's our primary theological work, and expounds on the history of religions and the process of Divine Revelation, among other things....)

If you'd like to see it, you can find it at either:
So I wish you good hunting! :)

My regards,

Bruce

A

angellous_evangellous

A4B4 said:
Then I thought about how more and more non-Canonical texts were being discovered, at various locations. Anyone else think these new texts could be the medium by which we'll increase our knowledge?

Absolutely!

Non-canonical texts increase our knowledge, but not because of your proof-text. The non-canonical texts help us understand the language, social context, philosophical context, and everything else imaginable to help us interpret biblical texts.

FFH

Veteran Member
AfourBfour said:
Anyone else think these new texts could be the medium by which we'll increase our knowledge?
No, the knowledge Daniel was talking about is all inclusive. Computers have given the average person access to knowledge without limits.

These new translations, of the King James, simply cause confusion and serve no purpose but to convolute the original translation.

The King James version is the closest to the original text, next to the Joseph Smith Inspired version of the Bible's original text, it being true and correct.

The most correct English translation of the Bible is the Joseph Smith Inspired version, next is the King James, then all other versions fall into place after that, and become more and more convoluted.

FFH

Veteran Member
angellous_evangellous said:
Absolutely!

Non-canonical texts increase our knowledge, but not because of your proof-text. The non-canonical texts help us understand the language, social context, philosophical context, and everything else imaginable to help us interpret biblical texts.
I respectfully disagree. There is a danger in re-writing God's holy inspired words. This only serves the person who has changed the words, when he or she sells his or her own version or interpretations of the Bible, for his or her own personal financial gain.

Versions of the Bible, other than the Joseph Smith Inspired, serve only one purpose, to cause confusion among the saints of God.

Deut 13:1

FFH said:
The most correct English translation of the Bible is the Joseph Smith Inspired version, next is the King James, then all other versions fall into place after that, and become more and more convoluted.
And you base this on your extensive knowledge of Hebrew/Greek? No??? Then you base this upon your faith.

Deut 13:1

FFH said:
Versions of the Bible, other than the Joseph Smith Inspired, serve only one purpose, to cause confusion among the saints of God.
What about the MT? Is that worse then Joseph Smith's 'inspired' version?

FFH

Veteran Member
Deut 13:1 said:
What about the MT? Is that worse then Joseph Smith's 'inspired' version?
The King James Old Testament was translated from the Masorah or Masoretic text, which is an altered text, courtesy of the Masoretes, and we can assume it should match up to the King James, but when compared side by side, it's apparent that further alterations have taken place, since the King James was translated.

Super Universe

Defender of God
FFH said:
I respectfully disagree. There is a danger in rewriting God's holy inspired words. This only serves the person who has changed the words, when he or she sells his or her own version or interpretations of the Bible, for his or her own personal financial gain.

Danger in re-writing God's worlds? But weren't they rewritten by Joseph Smith? Is everything in the Book of Mormon the same as the King James Version?

If you can believe that revelation has come to humans at least three times, the Old Testament, New Testament, the Book of Mormon, then why not another?

FFH

Veteran Member
SU said:
Danger in re-writing God's words? But weren't they rewritten by Joseph Smith?
Man has re-written or altered the Bible, Joseph Smith has restored it back to it's original form.
Is everything in the Book of Mormon the same as the King James Version?
The restored Old and New Testament scriptures found in the Book of Mormon, match up to the Joseph Smith Inspired version of the Bible, not the King James, unless that particular scripture in the King James has been unaltered, in which case they will all match up.

to even read or talk about the Book of Revelation or anything regarding it is heresy if you have not had a good read of the Necronomicon. Simon's version, translated from greek, is reliable. John may have tried to get caught up in starting/ending aeons of human existance with it, but he must have not even read it, because it is an exorcist's sourcebook for the seven ancient ones, the devil gods. THEY are not angels we are waiting for to dump out seven synthetic plagues. They are evil: pure evil in its most absolute form. And we are not waiting for them to get stronger either. The human race is going downhill in some ways, and much of it is because of them. How far will we let it go is the question!

Signs of their existance are something that we should watch for, but they are blatant and obviously upon the Earth. One of the seven Annunkai was known for cowering in fear etc. ...I have good reason to believe that this is how bUsh came to power as a leader and king, irrational idiocy against the opium devil, which only makes it stronger in many ways because he does not know how to operate in human society or know what to do!

Iraq is in the land once called Babylon, a reception place for travellers going to Egypt. this place had become corrupted as we know. Saddam seemed to be a front mocking the way Bush goes about >THE WORLD< and now saying we are going after Saddam because of an 80's massacre when we could have taken him down in the early ninties, just so we could make babylon fall with an ancient one elected in 2000 (the time of this supposed revelation) is heresy beyond letting bUsh rise to power of any kind in the first place.

The necronomicon is a holy book...you don't need to say aloud the spells if you aren't being attacked by one of them, but we all are in this time, by possibly the worst one of them all, so stupid in his actions, that they almost seem to work side by side.
As a matter of fact, bin Laden is the Scorpion Man who comes out when the ancient ones come out with something that should affect their actions. bush is heedless in this regard as to that he even had a corporate backing in his 2000 presidential campaign, and I don't think Osama is still fighting the Russians, because building infrastructure is very central to a good society and thats what the world trade center was all about. He obviously had other motives besides economic ones (that would look *** backwards anyway) and a 30,000 year old book about the bad forces that exist in theis world (primitive bad biologist/sex witch as tiamat included) and how to get rid of them is a good call for starters if we have to sit here waiting for the 'end times'.

...there was an old arabic legend that once the devil threw a tree upside down.

any better than the later Christian fantasies.

"I'm a Baha'i, and IOV the sealing of the books spoken of in Daniel did indeed happen, but the seals were broken in the mid-Nineteenth Century by our Founder, Baha'u'llah."

Neither Baha'u'llah or Joe Smith knew ancient Middle Eastern symbolism that John used in Revelation so neither Baha'i or Mormons have a clue to the how Revelation continues the Johannine writers attack on the Pharisee religion, e.g. not knowing the icon for Yamm/Yahweh as the seven-headed sea monster beast from the sea in Revelation or the famous Mark of the Beast being actually John slamming Judaism again, in this instance attacking the Shema, Judaism's most holy prayer that requires the wearing of God's name placed in frontlets worn on the forehead and in signet rings of Jewish rulers.

"Then many false prophets will rise up and deceive many." Mt 24:11

Bishka

Veteran Member
arielmessenger said:
any better than the later Christian fantasies.

"I'm a Baha'i, and IOV the sealing of the books spoken of in Daniel did indeed happen, but the seals were broken in the mid-Nineteenth Century by our Founder, Baha'u'llah."

Neither Baha'u'llah or Joe Smith knew ancient Middle Eastern symbolism that John used in Revelation so neither Baha'i or Mormons have a clue to the how Revelation continues the Johannine writers attack on the Pharisee religion, e.g. not knowing the icon for Yamm/Yahweh as the seven-headed sea monster beast from the sea in Revelation or the famous Mark of the Beast being actually John slamming Judaism again, in this instance attacking the Shema, Judaism's most holy prayer that requires the wearing of God's name placed in frontlets worn on the forehead and in signet rings of Jewish rulers.

"Then many false prophets will rise up and deceive many." Mt 24:11

Glad you are so up on the Bahai's and Mormons. Great to know we are respected. :areyoucra

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
Ramacharaka said:
The necronomicon is a holy book...

I don't mean to go off the OP or to insult your beliefs or anything, but isn't the necronomicon a fictional book that H.P. Lovecraft wrote about? I'm a rather avid reader of Lovecraft, and in researching the history behind his creation of the necronomicon, I have been led to believe that it is simply fictional - as are the copies you can get at the bookstore.

Just curious. Again, I sincerely mean no harm in this...

"Great to know we are respected"

You are respected. Mormons as people I respect--have had several good Mormon friends. But Joe Smith's Mormonism? No, I can't go that far but then again I am only doing my job in being so heavily critical of established religious belief systems.

I been given better spiritual information and unlike Joe, I'm alive and here to answer questions on how a prophesy bearer goes about putting together a new religious belief system. And I don't have to tell a bunch of hooey about the process either unlike Joseph Smith and just about every founder of a new religion has done in order to win converts.

Becky, I tread a fine line between being a mild-mannered egomaniac, a wishy-washy religious fanatic, a madman who should be locked up, and a new genuine prophet of God. Sometimes it get confusing which hat fits best. But all the hats fit someone who regularly esposes views guaranteed to offend just about everyone at some point. ;)

DeepShadow

White Crow
My problem with your earlier post isn't that it's rude, but that's it's simply baseless. How do you know that Joseph Smith didn't know the meaning of the Yamm serpent image?

the NIV was translated from the original texts through more advanced translation practices and an enormous amount of people collaborating. It is in fact probably the most accurate because of the experience of the translators in expressing the ideas more correctly.

If so, it's true, I don't know about it. But I've never heard of Mormons attacking the religion of the Jews or debunking biblical myths so I am assuming my view of Mormonism is the correct one.

Please advise me if Mormonism does debunk biblical myths and is hostile to Pharaisic or modern Judaism.

Please note. While I do claim the old prophets did have a marked tendency for fudging the truth and not admitting to plagerisms, I do believe they were under divine inspiration while they wrote their words of God. It's just that the foundational prophets seemed to value territorial conquering and control as being more important than spiritual truth.

I do think Joe Smith was picking up spiritual information but that because he had a personal big shot agenda, starting a new type of Christian belief system where his ideas ruled all his followers, his spiritual vision necessarily was clouded.

As my own spiritual reception has included strong Native American religious icons, I do note that Joe Smith also was so affected. And his picking up of EL and the Elohim is another spiritual indicator to me that he was a prophet, just not the true one needed to really change the Christian belief system into its new universal form that only a modern Gnostic Christian base can provide.

SB Habakuk

Everyone who has been handed the title phrphet has taken on the entirety of human life-

Daniel's Seal is expressed that Truth ( of the end times) is to be VEILEd for a period-
Who is to break the seal
Revelation speaks as Daniel did- THe Son of Man (Christ) broke the "seal"