• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A serious question for the religious types about gay and trans people

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Psychological distress is a difficult thing to measure, for sure. Much more than say, physical distress.
I am certain those comments were in reference to the entire spectrum of "adult-child relations," which would include the hormone-driven high school jock who has sex with his teacher (and sometimes later get married). While psychological distress is difficult to measure, I do think in many instances we may make things worse by suggest it must be the worst. Yes, many are horribly abused, but I think when it comes to "children," we like to pretend they have this "thin-glass fragile" innocence, and we think it will ruin them if they see an exposed female breast.
Thanks for your OPINION.
None of that was opinion or fiction.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I feel it would be foolish and ignorant to presume to have some grand understanding of these individuals and their Weltanschauung based solely on their ability to find some measure of strength, power, wisdom, or beauty from one particular book.
It doesn't have to be one book, and even Mein Kampf isn't just "one book," as Hitler's appeals to the Christian god are obvious, frequent, and throughout.
And the idea wasn't one particular book, but people drawing such adjectives from books, sacred or otherwise, that contain the seeds of hatred and destruction?

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
I am certain those comments were in reference to the entire spectrum of "adult-child relations," which would include the hormone-driven high school jock who has sex with his teacher (and sometimes later get married). While psychological distress is difficult to measure, I do think in many instances we may make things worse by suggest it must be the worst. Yes, many are horribly abused, but I think when it comes to "children," we like to pretend they have this "thin-glass fragile" innocence, and we think it will ruin them if they see an exposed female breast.
I think its applied generally to the paraphilic disorders.

It doesn't help that every individual processes experiences in different ways. Two people facing the same situation can internalize the same situation in very different ways.

I definitely agree with your assessment of our perception of children as "thin-glass fragile." I don't see any reason to think that viewing a female breast is going to throw the children off the deep end.