• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A serious question for the religious types about gay and trans people

Nyingjé Tso

Tänpa Yungdrung zhab pä tän gyur jig
Vanakkam,

I am of religious type, and I don't care. Doesn't change anything in my life or relationship with the Gods.
Also am pansexual and happily dating a trans.
Nobody in the temple or none of my (religious) hindu friends give a damn about it. (Some even congratuled me and told me they were eager to meet my SO)
What I do in my bedroom or anywhere else (oooh kinky *wiggle brows*) is no one's business, as much as what other people do in their is none of mine.

So... :shrug: Generalization maybe ?

Aum Namah Shivaya

Wirey

Fartist
Vanakkam,

I am of religious type, and I don't care. Doesn't change anything in my life or relationship with the Gods.
Nobody in the temple or none of my (religious) hindu friends give a damn about it. (Some even congratuled me and told me they were eager to meet my SO)
What I do in my bedroom or anywhere else (oooh kinky *wiggle brows*) is no one's business, as much as what other people do in their is none of mine.

Aum Namah Shivaya

Sorry, I was speaking more to the Abrahamic religions, not the good ones.

Kapalika

Premium Member
Why do you care? If I decide to get freaky withy another guy, (I'd pick @columbus so I could be the dude, btw) what possible affect does it have on your life, or your relationship with God? If I decide to get 10 inches of pecker chopped off (ladies, how you doin'?) and wear dresses, how does it impact you?

Nitpick but actually they turn it inside out and do a bunch of other stuff to make a vagina.

There is totally a wikipedia page on it too.

shava

Vanakkam,

Your friends may not care, but God does, and that's who you need to be concerned about caring, because your choice depends on where you spend eternity.

Kapalika

Premium Member
Your friends may not care, but God does, and that's who you need to be concerned about caring, because your choice depends on where you spend eternity.

But as Shaivites we don't believe in the eternal hell concept.

Your orientation or gender identity are not subject to being "sinful" in our religion(s).

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN

I don't believe that for a second!

Jesus said nothing against gay people.

Neither did YHVH in Tanakh, - as we can show that all but one of the so-called against homosexuality verses - are actually about the Qadesh. And that one, - is most likely as well.

shava

I don't believe that for a second!

Jesus said nothing against gay people.

Neither did YHVH in Tanakh, - as we can show that all but one of the so-called against homosexuality verses - are actually about the Qadesh. And that one, - is most likely as well.

The bible clearly states that it is a sin, which can clearly seen in the Old and New Testament. Can you give me proof that the bible doesn't say that being gay isn't a sin, book, chapter and verse only, no opinions accepted. If one still worships under the Old Testament, they stand lost according to the New Testament, as one cannot be a Christian while worshipping under the Old Testament Law, because God nailed it to the cross.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
The bible clearly states that it is a sin, which can clearly seen in the Old and New Testament. Can you give me proof that the bible doesn't say that being gay isn't a sin, book, chapter and verse only, no opinions accepted. If one still worships under the Old Testament, they stand lost according to the New Testament, as one cannot be a Christian while worshipping under the Old Testament Law, because God nailed it to the cross.

I have shown over and over, - using the Hebrew and Greek, - that the verses you folks say are about homosexuals - aren't!

An example of one you folks use.

Deu 23:17 There shall be no whore of the daughters of Israel, nor a sodomite of the sons of Israel.

Is actually -

Deu 23:17 There shall be no Qedeshah of the daughters of Israel, nor a Qadesh of the sons of Israel.

The Qadesh were Sacred Temple Prostitutes - which at many points - (according to Kings, etc) - were set up in the Hebrew Temple.

The verse is obviously NOT about homosexuals!!!!

PS - If you would like to look them up in your STRONG's - the numbers are - H6945 and H6948.

shava

I have shown over and over, - using the Hebrew and Greek, - that the verses you folks say are about homosexuals - aren't!

An example of one you folks use.

Deu 23:17 There shall be no whore of the daughters of Israel, nor a sodomite of the sons of Israel.

Is actually -

Deu 23:17 There shall be no Qedeshah of the daughters of Israel, nor a Qadesh of the sons of Israel.

The Qadesh were Sacred Temple Prostitutes - which at many points - (according to Kings, etc) - were set up in the Hebrew Temple.

The verse is obviously NOT about homosexuals!!!!

PS - If you would like to look them up in your STRONG's - the numbers are - H6945 and H6948.

shavaMember
Start a Conversation
Religion:
Christian, Romans 16:16, non instrumental.
New
Leviticus 20:13יג וְאִישׁ, אֲשֶׁר יִשְׁכַּב אֶת-זָכָר מִשְׁכְּבֵי אִשָּׁה--תּוֹעֵבָה עָשׂוּ, שְׁנֵיהֶם; מוֹת יוּמָתוּ, דְּמֵיהֶם בָּם 13 And if a man lie with mankind, as with womankind, both of them have committed abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them. Hebrew bible used.

idav

Being
Premium Member
Why do you care? If I decide to get freaky withy another guy, (I'd pick @columbus so I could be the dude, btw) what possible affect does it have on your life, or your relationship with God? If I decide to get 10 inches of pecker chopped off (ladies, how you doin'?) and wear dresses, how does it impact you?
I'm sure it's cool if you choose to do any of those things, just more women for the rest of the single straight dudes don't you know.

Nyingjé Tso

Tänpa Yungdrung zhab pä tän gyur jig

Vanakkam

My God is Shiva, the cosmic dancer, the great lover, the kind one, the lord of ghosts who is ever radiant and never separate From the universe and myself. The one who revealed himself as ArdhanarIshvara, the half mâle and half female lord. My master, my father, my God, my lover.

I bow to his son the elephant faced Lord, remover of obstacles, large bellied, kind and close to us humans.

You see they are not law giving punishing Gods. They are family. We are together everyday. I have come with my boyfriend to the temple to formally introduce him to them. Like you would do with friends or parents.

We came back home with their blessings.

See what my Gods are ? The universe and everything that is in it. Every possibility, every manifested thing. Homosexuality ? Just a micro drop of water in this universe that is Him. Why should He care ? I revere Him in all aspects.

You know what can punish you ? The backlash of the very hartred and intolérance you show to others. And you won't have to blame your God or my God for that : it will be only you.

God don't care. Books don't care. Some people are just looking for holy excuses to justify their intelorance rather than opening their minds to acknowledge other ways than theirs.

My God is fine, thank you.

Aum Namah Shivaya

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
What I do in my bedroom or anywhere else (oooh kinky *wiggle brows*) is no one's business, as much as what other people do in their is none of

Quite right. It also seems daft to me that a supreme being would care what people get up to in the bedroom, unless it is a voyeur ( oooh, kinky ). ;)

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Hi, @Wirey . How ya doing?

I mean, I take it that you mean to ask why we would object to some or any set of specific LGBTIQP stances.

I do not really, but just in case allow me to answer your questions.

Why do you care?
Because having the personal space to seek happiness is a very high priority for everyone.

I acknowledge that quite a few people feel genuine disconfort with the very existence and open expression of LGBTIQP inclinations. Unfortunately, that disconfort is simply not nearly good enough a reason to deny anyone the right of expressing themselves in the ways needed to pursue their happiness.

As long as people are respectful to each other and any intimacy is made among consenting adults, I fail to see grounds for objection. We should instead deal with the disconfort issues as best as we can without compromising those pursuits.

If I decide to get freaky withy another guy, (...) what possible affect does it have on your life, or your relationship with God?
I don't use god concepts except for argument's sake, so that is not an issue.

As for the effect in my life, it is very rewarding to see people feel more free to fully be themselves. That brings all sorts of subtle yet powerful social benefits, which bleed over into me due to interdependent origination.

If I decide to (...) wear dresses, how does it impact you?

Same thing. I guess I might find an opportunity for talk about styles there, as well. But you would probably want to cut me off, unless you find enough humor in the idea.

shava

Vanakkam

My God is Shiva, the cosmic dancer, the great lover, the kind one, the lord of ghosts who is ever radiant and never separate From the universe and myself. The one who revealed himself as ArdhanarIshvara, the half mâle and half female lord. My master, my father, my God, my lover.

I bow to his son the elephant faced Lord, remover of obstacles, large bellied, kind and close to us humans.

You see they are not law giving punishing Gods. They are family. We are together everyday. I have come with my boyfriend to the temple to formally introduce him to them. Like you would do with friends or parents.

We came back home with their blessings.

See what my Gods are ? The universe and everything that is in it. Every possibility, every manifested thing. Homosexuality ? Just a micro drop of water in this universe that is Him. Why should He care ? I revere Him in all aspects.

You know what can punish you ? The backlash of the very hartred and intolérance you show to others. And you won't have to blame your God or my God for that : it will be only you.

God don't care. Books don't care. Some people are just looking for holy excuses to justify their intelorance rather than opening their minds to acknowledge other ways than theirs.

My God is fine, thank you.

Aum Namah Shivaya
So to you, there is no right or wrong, right? You say why should he care, because he created and loves you, is why he cares.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
So to you, there is no right or wrong, right? You say why should he care, because he created and loves you, is why he cares.
Well technically in the Hindu belief system (generally speaking) the soul of a person is not gendered. So two souls coming together in holy marriage mostly includes gay couples, depending on the sect. It's also important to note that homosexuality is not actually condemned nor condoned by the religious texts that Hindus use. There are even instances of gay people receiving extra blessings for their devotion. Good and evil are not really exact opposites, the potential for both resides in all humans regardless.
So no, Hindus don't really have any reason to think that God (whichever form they happen to worship) cares one iota about homosexuality. That's purely an Abrahamic thing.

Deidre

I wouldn't call myself ''religious,'' but if I had to label my beliefs, they'd fall under Christianity. That said, it's not uncommon for people to take the text where Jesus told His Apostles ''Go and make disciples of all nations...'' as a directive to be able to judge everyone that doesn't follow certain doctrine. It really didn't mean that. Jesus was pretty straight up with what mattered most to Him...''Love God with all of your heart, and love your neighbor as yourself.'' All neighbors. I think that many Christians view judging others on the basis of their beliefs, as being ''loving,'' sadly. This isn't to excuse anyone's behaviors, but that's my best guess as to why many religious types get upset over issues that shouldn't really affect them whatsoever.