• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A request for a Sanatana Dharma DIR- Dharmic and Staff members Only

Stormcry

namaskaram Hinduism♥Krishna :namaste
my intention to ask for a seperate sub section for Sanatana Dharma is to allow us to discuss Dharma with out the constricts of tradition .....
Pranam Ratikala. Here are my some questions.

For what purpose Sanatana Dharma will be? What will we discuss there ? And why by Sanatana Dharma name? What's the special necessity of such forum?

As per my view, Instead of creating such subforum there is much greater necessity to add subforums like Advaita, dvaita, bhedabheda.....

this again is typical of the hyjacking of a thread so comon here ...

I'm not hijacking. I just didn't want to make a new thread. My request is similar like you have... To add philosophical subdir and to rename hinduism dir.. So I requested here.

Last edited:

Ravi500

Namaste HLK,

Do try to see things from the other person's shoes. If you make this effort, you will be better able to create a consensus among people with diverse viewpoints ,and in the process help them out.

I figured you would have learnt this by now, as you had been restricted once for offensive speech.

Also refrain from attacking other vaishnavas or bhaktas of the Lord. This is a great sin, really, and destroys your credibilty as a vaishnava itself and destroys the good karma that you had done too. Try to serve them with sweet and inoffensive speech as Krishna himself would do.

Let Rama/Krishna Himself be a role model to you in this regard. :)

This will also gain you the power of tapas ( truthful, sweet speech is connected with vocal tapas) and gain the blessings of the Lord too.

Do contemplate on this.

:namaste

Ravi500

Prehaps you missunderstand me when I say private ? I dont mean colsed and secretive, Ijust mean that it would attract people who identify with Sanatana Dharma and it would be a nice place for them to discuss as I said with like minded people.

Please may I make a comparison to Islam DIR, there are five subsections so that each may discuss with other likeminded members of his or her branch if the islamic faith ?

clear.gif
Shi'ite DIR
An Islamic faith

clear.gif
Sunni DIR

clear.gif
Ahmadiyya DIR
An Islamic faith

clear.gif
Islamic Sufism DIR
An Islamic form of mysticism

clear.gif
Qur'anist DIR
A practice of Islam that relies on the Qur'an as the only authority without the hadith

Yes Asha,

This is also my own request,and I had highlighted the reasons in this post of mine....

http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/3709594-post69.html

Stability comes after chaos, and lets hope all this chaos will result in an orderly and well-developed Hinduism forum that helps the members to advance their knowledge and bhakti and have fun in the process. :)

Let's pray to the Divine for this.

:namaste

Last edited:

Stormcry

Asha said:
Prehaps you missunderstand me when I say private ? I dont mean colsed and secretive, Ijust mean that it would attract people who identify with Sanatana Dharma and it would be a nice place for them to discuss as I said with like minded people.

"it would attract people who identify with Sanatana Dharma"
What this means.. We should make subdir who identity themselves as a follower of Sanatana Dharma, but not as a Hindu dharma. So I think it would be like creating same dirs of two names .. Sanatana Dharma subdir would be a clone of Hinduism dir.

Please may I make a comparison to Islam DIR, there are five subsections so that each may discuss with other likeminded members of his or her branch if the islamic faith ?

Shi'ite DIR
An Islamic faith

Sunni DIR

Ahmadiyya DIR
An Islamic faith

Islamic Sufism DIR
An Islamic form of mysticism

Qur'anist DIR
A practice of Islam that relies on the Qur'an as the only authority without the hadith

For your information, Sanatana Dharma is not a sect/branch of Hinduism. It's an alternative name. Advaita, dvaita, vaishnawa, shaiva, smarta etc these all are branches of Sanatana Dharma/hinduism. So I think these branches of Sanatana Dharma should be added in Hinduism DIR.

Govinda... ;)

Last edited:

Ravi500

Hinduism♥Krishna;3740168 said:
"it would attract people who identify with Sanatana Dharma"
What this means.. We should make subdir who identity themselves as a follower of Sanatana Dharma, but not as a Hindu dharma. So I think it would be like creating subdir for alternative name of Hinduism... Sanatana Dharma dir would be a clone of Hinduism dir.

For your information, Sanatana Dharma is not a sect/branch of Hinduism. It's an alternative name. Advaita, dvaita, vaishnawa, shaiva, smarta etc these all are branches of Sanatana Dharma/hinduism. So I think these branches of Sanatana Dharma should be added in Hinduism DIR.

Govinda... ;)

She just means a secondary Hinduism forum , where she can discuss with like minded theists. The first forum for all in general.

Stormcry

She just means a secondary Hinduism forum , where she can discuss with like minded theists. The first forum for all in general.

But why by Sanatana Dharma only ? Why not by any other descriptional title ? What's the significance of creating subdir by Sanatana Dharma name ?

That's what I'm saying. If we create Sanatana Dharma subdir it'll confuse others.

Last edited:

Stormcry

Pranam Ravi...

There's no any problem in creating subdir for discussing with like minded theists. There is a problem when we create subdir by name Sanatana dharma. It'll just confuse people as the title of the subdir is not descriptive. So I think title must not be a Sanatana dharma but by any other descriptional title.

Ravi500

Hinduism♥Krishna;3740179 said:
But why by Sanatana Dharma only ? Why not by any other descriptional title ? What's the significance of creating subdir by Sanatana Dharma name ?

That's what I'm saying. If we create Sanatana Dharma subdir it'll confuse others.

Which shows that you had not been following the whole thread and processing the information in it properly.

Asha is not interested in the name, only in a forum where she can discuss with like minded individuals.

The name can be any. Like Hinduism forum, and Hinduism in General Forum.

Do post your views with a good deal of thought and study behind it. This will save your time and energy, and that of others too.

Think before you act. Let this be your motto. Thank you. :namaste

Stormcry

Which shows that you had not been following the whole thread and processing the information in it properly.

Asha is not interested in the name, only in a forum where she can discuss with like minded individuals.

Do post your views with a good deal of thought and study behind it. This will save your time and energy, and that of others too.

Think before you act. Let this be your motto. Thank you. :namaste

As far as know, from ratikala's recent posts she's talking about Sanatana Dharma subdir. I think it's not my guess ....

Originally Posted by LuisDantas
Hi Ratikala.
So you want a Sanatana Dharma DIR as a subforum tied to the Hinduism DIR (much like the Hinduism DIR itself is found under the Dharmic Religions DIR)?

RATIKALA : jai jai , yes please that would be very nice

Last edited:

Ravi500

Hinduism♥Krishna;3740194 said:
As far as know, from ratikala's recent posts she's talking about Sanatana Dharma subdir. I think it's not my guess ....

She too could have been suggesting the same idea, though perhaps not articulating it well.

Through proper discussion with dispassionate mind, clarity will fall on this better.

Stormcry

She too could have been suggesting the same idea, though perhaps not articulating it well.

Through proper discussion with dispassionate mind, clarity will fall on this better.

Ok.... She'll clarify here.....What she wants & why not by any descriptional title according the subject of subdir.... Sanatana Dharma would be surely non descriptional title as it doesn't mean what subdir's motive is....Sanatana Dharma words should not be used to bound to narrow minded subdir. And it shouldn't be used by any sects definitions of Sanatana Dharma...there are some hindu sects who think their sects as Sanatana and others as non-sanatana. There's possibility of hijacking from such sects or there could have been conflicts because of them.

Last edited:

Elector

Pranams,
my intention to ask for a seperate sub section for Sanatana Dharma is to allow us to discuss Dharma with out the constricts of tradition .....

traditional sounds good but on closer examination it is the cause of all the strife here on Hindism Dir ....
I suggested sanatana dharma as a title as it belongs to no one particular tradition and embraces only the principles ....
Forgive my misunderstandings, if any, I have not followed all the posts in this thread, but if I may ask... what exactly is "Sanatana Dharma without the constricts of tradition"? To my knowledge, Hinduism is an aggregation of different traditions, each of which claim to be "Sanatana Dharma". As such, what would be the principles of Sanatana Dharma that are devoid of traditional disparities?

Last edited:

Ravi500

Hinduism♥Krishna;3740212 said:
Ok.... She'll clarify here.....What she wants & why not by any descriptional title according the subject of subdir.... Sanatana Dharma would be surely non descriptional title as it doesn't mean what subdir's motive is....Sanatana Dharma words should not be used to bound to narrow minded subdir. And it shouldn't be used by any sects definitions of Sanatana Dharma...there are some hindu sects who think their sects as Sanatana and others as non-sanatana. There's possibility of hijacking from such sects or there could have been conflicts because of them.

State your viewpoints over here, without addressing any person, which can be perceived as rude.

Try to understand the objective over here for why this thread was created mainly.

To avoid conflict, due to opposing view-points which goes against the spirit of the forum. So we are exploring the idea whether further categorisation can help reduce the conflict by giving all the space they need or require.

As the saying goes, " Birds of the same feather flock together."

Stormcry

Ratikala said:
I suggested sanatana dharma as a title as it belongs to no one particular tradition and embraces only the principles ....

Pranam Ratikala ji...

However You should also keep in mind that hinduism also doesn't belong to any particular tradition.
Is what you have said the definition of Sanatana Dharma accepted among hinduism? And what type of principles ? I hope you are not talking about mixture of Buddhist & Hinduism principles.

Hinduism is what Sanatana Dharma is.... The one thing by two names... So two dir for two names, this is out of my understanding? How can admins accept this? There'll be no any problem when you give any descriptional title according to the subject of that subdir.

I think almost all hindus would not allow such confusing Sanatana Dharma subdir. And I hope before making changes in Dir Admins will take a poll in Hinduism DIR.. Other people's view should also be respected...

Last edited:

Elector

Pranams,

I think it is also important to note that even if we are to classify Buddhism, Jainism, and Sikhism under Sanatana Dharma, the reference would be different. Sanatana Dharma does not merely refer to the fact that the principles are eternal and unchanging, but that the tradition itself - Hinduism - is eternal in the form of the Veda, it being apaurusheya (aurthorless) and coeval with creation.

Stormcry

Pranams,

I think it is also important to note that even if we are to classify Buddhism, Jainism, and Sikhism under Sanatana Dharma, the reference would be different. Sanatana Dharma does not merely refer to the fact that the principles are eternal and unchanging, but that the tradition itself - Hinduism - is eternal in the form of the Veda, it being apaurusheya (aurthorless) and coeval with creation.

This is what I have been trying to say here. Sanatana Dharma doesn't mean just eternal principles. It is the dharma itself. All sects like vaishnawa shiva shakta & all philosophies like advaita dvaita constitutes Sanatana Dharma. Sanatana Dharma is an umbrella term for everything which is (exactly) the same what veda purana teach us.. Guide us.. We shouldn't use Sanatana Dharma term through narrow mind and one shouldn't limit vastness of Sanatana Dharma. It's just vast as sky including all hindu's sectarian traditions & culture...

Last edited:

Elector

Pranams,
Hinduism♥Krishna;3740260 said:
This is what I have been trying to say here. Sanatana Dharma doesn't mean just eternal principles. It is the dharma itself. All sects like vaishnawa shiva shakta & all philosophies like advaita dvaita constitutes Sanatana Dharma. Sanatana Dharma is an umbrella term for everything which is (exactly) the same what veda purana teach us.. Guide us.. We shouldn't use Sanatana Dharma term through narrow mind and one shouldn't limit vastness of Sanatana Dharma. It's just vast as sky including all hindu's sectarian traditions & culture...
No doubt that all of the darshana-s have their place in Sanatana Dharma. However, for the sake of consistency, we must accept that the Shastra-s, Rishi-s, and Bhagavan himself taught an exclusively single Vada; admittedly with much seemingly contradictory scriptural statements which has resulted in such a wide range of sectarian traditions.

ratikala

Istha gosthi
namaskaram Elector ji :namaste ....namaskaram all who care to read :namaste

Pranams,

may I politely explain that it was never my wish to say that Buddhism , Jainism and Sikhi should be clasified under Sanarana Dharma but simply that a green DIR would allow for open discussion between like minded people should they wish to discuss principles which they hold in common .

please may I take a little time to explain the original proposal and what I meant by it .

prehaps this will also clarify things for some others , as there seems to be a lot of confusion as to what I have meant By what I have said ...

firstly please consider that I am British therefore I have not grown up with Hindu culture , I studied and practiced Buddhism for over ten years before ever meeting any Hindus or reading any Hindu texts , I first came into contact with Hinduism through a small and very Indian comunity who are Gaudiya Vaisnava , the Guru there is Punjabi and referes often to Sanatana Dharma stressing the importance of following what he translates as Eternal religious Principles , he teaches on this often , what struck me imidiately was that the principles and values he wished to instill in his deciples were no different to the princiles which govern Buddhism , ...there may be issues of beleif as to the nature of the supreme being that differ but the principles by which we conduct ourselves and the reasons for doing so are so similar as to be completely compatable .
between Buddhism the philosophical tenents may vary but this is equaly true of many schools within the spectrum of Hinduism , .....I learnt Sanatana Dharma as being something beyond philosophical and sectarian divisions , as being the one truth that remains constant throughout time , I developed a deep appreciation for this veiw , and have been around Hindus and Vaisnavas for long enough now to see the dammage that is done by the ignorance of sectarianism and over reliance on philosophy alone , And I have studied enough to see that there is constant change , no tradition or philosophy remains untouched by change only the principles of Sanatana Dharma remain un changed .

if we listen to what we are taught we hear that we are now undegoing the effects of Kail yuga , where people lack the inteligence , tollerance , and humility of previous yugas , we lack the interlect to understand the teachings and we lack inherent rightiousness , so the Hinduism we now know and practice is not the same , because we are different , there is little respect between traditions any more , it has become commonplace to be competative and dissmisive of the practice and understanding of others , this is the foolishness and blindness which is the efect of kali yuga .

another problem is that we do not listen to eachother , we are too quick to judge on apperance alone , ...here this thread is a perfect example I explain very clearly what I am thinking and what I have observed and imidiately I am met with assumptions that I mean something else ???

I had said that ....

''I would like to discuss how we understand 'Sanatana Dharma' ....the fundamental unchanging principles ...the Eternal Truth ...which lay at the core of Hinduism and other Dharmicaly based faiths .'' ....

.....therefore I would like to ask others to join me in requesting a Sanatana Dharma DIR
personaly I belive it should be green as the principles of Sanatana Dharma form the foundation also of other traditions such as Buddhism jainism and sikhi , and that such a DIR would provide a space for open and freindly discussion .

all I have said is that we share common principles and that it would be nice to be able to discuss them in a green forum where each are welcome to share thoughts and engage in freindly discussion .

may I also explain that when a non Hindu born person comes to Hinduism or Sanatana Dharma they will see it with different eyes , this is neither good nor bad just different , and there is something to be learnt from both experiences .
This is a concequence of this ever changing world and it is of utmost importance that both Indian and western Hindus come together do discuss and exchange understandings and that we come together with other dharmic faiths to discuss , apricate and deepen our ubderstanding .

half of India is hankering after the illusion of western modernity and materialism whilst many westerners see the benifits to be only superficial and search for a deeper maeaning to life , ..at the same time there are many Hindu born Hindus who value their tradition and see every reason to maintain that tradition , but what we must accept is that a sincere western Hindu and a sincere Indian Hindu will see the same truth but with different perspectives one from within and one from the outside . both veiws have something to offer but one thing that must be remembered is that sometines when following something from within one follows without questioning , one follows because it is tradition to follow therefore ones values are different , ones apreciation is different . from within it might be understandable to think that this his Hindu tradition it is eternal , this is not true , everything is undergoing constant change , there is constant reformations taking place , this has gone on for centuries then there are the constant disputes , one tradition claiming philosophical superiority over another , another claiming to be decended from the oldest therefore original tradition , and so it goes on .... when a westerner come to Hinduism he either falls straight into this trap or wishes to remain free from the unnecessary burdon of it .

I am vaisnava simply by aleigence , in that I am endebted to that one guru and that tradition simply because by dint of karma I found my self fortunate enough to come into its presence , however I do not wish to talk with Vaisnava alone , I wish to talk with any other who shares the same appreciation of their good fortune and a similar respect for Dharma .

I would simply like to find a place to discuss principles which is free from the divisions of race caste and sect .. I do not want to re name Hindu DIR , and I do not want to get caught up in any more arguments or upset anyone ....

I just want to discuss , I am fed up with the competitive text qouting and one upmanship . I would just like to express and discuss thoughts and appreciations without being contradicted and criticised for saying something that I am not saying ...

thank you to everyone that has tried to listen and understand ...
may we have many more fruitfull conversations :namaste

Namaste Ratikala,

Actually, everyone here has completely understood, from the very start, what you meant to convey.

You also wrongly accused HLK of being intolerant and immature (I see it has become easy to pick on someone like him). HLK however on the contrary not only understood you but also went on to suggest solutions that goes to the root of the problem which you Dont seem to fully understand.

The ludicrosity of SanatanaDIR within HinduDIR has been pointed out by JB and MV, and put to rest finally by Elector's posts. I will not like to even address it.

Further, as JB already said DharmicDIR is there for syncretic thoughts. I assume you are a syncretic, going by your status "Vaishnava, Buddhist", and "unity to all things". However in my personal holding you are a Vaishnava (they do have syncretic urges many a time) and you yourself admit that you are an ex-buddhist, but then it should have reflected in your religion tag.

Add to that your headache making "tradition free Santana Dharma", when you actually perhaps mean exactly the opposite.

I request you re-read my earlier two posts in the thread, that address the real cause and takes into account opinions of others.

Ad I said there, the best answer is to rename HinduDIR itself. HLK has suggested a poll along those lines. Then, we can also say, no it (renaming) isn't required.

I could have written in a better language, reflective of my respect for you, but chose the blunt way. So, my apologies.

KT

Last edited by a moderator: