• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A request for a Sanatana Dharma DIR- Dharmic and Staff members Only

von bek

Hinduism♥Krishna;3746164 said:
But in reality Sanatana Dharma is all hinduism consisting various Vedic sects. So I'd suggest rather than creating Sanatana Dharma dir create Dir like vaishnawa or shaiva. There they'll discuss there their dharma more efficiently. Plus, there should have philosophical dir to discuss various philosophies like Advaita or Dvaita or bhedabheda.

As an outsider to this discussion, this makes the most sense to me and may really help with the acrimony in the general Hinduism DIR. In Buddhism, we have sub-dir for Theravada, Mahayana, Vajrayana, and Zen. These serve as places for Buddhists to discuss subjects that are specific to that tradition without having to step on the toes of Buddhists with radically different beliefs. By placing posts in the proper sub-DIR, arguments can be minimized. For example, as a Theravada Buddhist, I believe that not only did the Buddha not teach tantra, he specifically taught against it. If a post on Tantra is placed in Vajrayana, I will never question it as the subject is taught within that tradition. Proper placement means no disputing...

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
von bek, I didn't notice that until just now. You have to click on the Buddhism thing on the main menu to notice,I think. Thank you. It may be fruitful indeed. :) As I see it, we have more divisions than Buddhism, though I could be wrong.

ratikala

Istha gosthi
namaskaram luis ji

I have tried to sincerely answer your question, assumung that as a staff member you could rise above personal opinions .

I do not hope for or want your personal agreement .

Reincarnation isn't even particularly attached to Dharma Faiths, far as I can tell. I think you are being way too restrictive.

again you are giving your opinion ?

I propose a green thread which is more open than the existing Blue DIR , what is restrictive in asking for a green DIR which is less restrictive than Blue ?

Also, you are an extreme syncretic that is set on extending the concept of Sanatana Dharma way beyond what is reasonable IMO.

I could take it to be extremely offensive if not disturbing that you profess to know my mind and my motivation better than I do ?

And your take on Buddhism is - let's just say that it is unusual.

quite possibly it is but that does not mean that it is invalid .

however that does not stop us from sharing a common beleif in the efficacy of Buddha Dharma.

Actually, it apparently does.

do you not belive in the eficacy of Buddha Dharma ???

From my perspective, Ratikala, you do not want a Sanatana Dharma DIR or section. You want a Hinduism Syncretism DIR.

you have repeatedly asked me what I want , ...you then tell me that what I have said that I want is not what I want , but that it is actualy what you think that I want ???

again from this it appears that you know my mind better than I do ..?

shiva fan is right one need a sence of humor to post here ...:)

Also, you are way too attached to both the concepts of God and of Reincarnation.

I do not remember asking for your opinion , ..but as you have given it I will thank you for the compliment for a vaisnava to be attatched to god is the higest of atainments .

In short, your beliefs are about as far away from mine as I ever expect to find in someone who claims to be a Dharmi of any kind.

with all due respects you are looking from the perspective of Buddha Dharma , I am looking from the perspective of Sanatana Dharma there will be differences .

I don't think that can or will change to any significant extent. But that is probably not important as long as we both are aware of this fact.

Luis , I was aware of this many months ago, and no it is not important , but you must also realise that If you ask me a question I will reply , and I am going to reply from My perspective ...

there is an instruction from the lojong teachings (Geshe Chekhawa), which weird and unusual people like me favor greatly ....it reads .....

DO NOT LAY IN AMBUSH .....

in otherwords do not ask questions with the intent to atack or trip up another ,

another reads ....

DO NOT STRIKE AT THE HEART ....

many times luis you have struck at my heart , It is painfull , but still I put this behind me and trusted you when you asked me questions , I thought you genuinely wanted to help in this situation ?

I Have a few more of the lojong verses for you

19. All dharma agrees at one point -- All Buddhist teachings are about lessening the ego, lessening one's self-absorption.also about lesening ones concept of self and other , realising that we have more in common with others than the ego thinks , thus we develop compassion and treat others without judgement and with kindness .

20. Of the two witnesses, hold the principal one -- You know yourself better than anyone else knows you.meaning that passing judgement on another is futile , Reserveing ones judgement to be used to observe ones own behavior means that only we ourselves we might be able to make efective change from within .

21 Always maintain only a joyful mind.

I try , I try :)

22. If you can practice even when distracted, you are well trained.
....meaning luis is my best freind , ... he atacks , he stands in judgement but this will not distract me , I am indestractable :)

You do not consider yourself a syncretist? :confused:

that is correct , ... I do not consider my self a Syncratist !

I don't think such an approach may work, unfortunately. Or even that it should, going by the goals that you state.

what about trying something before dismissing it ???

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I could take it to be extremely offensive if not disturbing that you profess to know my mind and my motivation better than I do ?

Where did you get this idea? I am just going by our own statements about what one should understand by "Sanatana Dharma".

do you not belive in the eficacy of Buddha Dharma ???

From what I gather of what you understand Buddha Dharma to be, it is not something I share with you.

I don't know why you think otherwise.

I do not remember asking for your opinion,

That is understandable.

..but as you have given it I will thank you for the compliment for a vaisnava to be attatched to god is the higest of atainments.

Demonstrating my point. Make no mistake, attachment to a concept of God is no less of an attachment.

with all due respects you are looking from the perspective of Buddha Dharma , I am looking from the perspective of Sanatana Dharma there will be differences.

There is that too, but that is hardly a significant reason for our differences.

Accept or reject my opinions about what those reasons are, as expressed in the previous post, as you will.

You should still realize that it isn't really possible to convince me (or most Buddhists, I assume) that we should share your rather unusual, far too theistic and too directed take on what Buddhism should be - or, for that matter, on what Sanatana Dharma should be.

I realize that it can be a difficult notion to entertain. But we should all strive to accept the truth as it is.

that is correct , ... I do not consider my self a Syncratist !

That is surprising.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Just to keep people from wasting any more time or pulling this thread any further off track than it already has been, two reminders:

1. This thread was created to discuss the proposal that we create a Sanatana Dharma DIR, not whether or not we should re-name the Hinduism DIR. If anyone wants to discuss that topic, please create another, separate, thread.

But before you do, be aware that --

2. The chances that we will ever change the name of the Hinduism DIR to anything else are practically nonexistent.

One of the primary purposes for having the DIRs in the first place is so that anyone interested in learning about individual religions will have somewhere to go to gather information and ask questions about those religions. To that end, the DIRs need to remain recognizable to people outside of whichever belief system they represent.

Maya3

Just to keep people from wasting any more time or pulling this thread any further off track than it already has been, two reminders:

1. This thread was created to discuss the proposal that we create a Sanatana Dharma DIR, not whether or not we should re-name the Hinduism DIR. If anyone wants to discuss that topic, please create another, separate, thread.

But before you do, be aware that --

2. The chances that we will ever change the name of the Hinduism DIR to anything else are practically nonexistent.

One of the primary purposes for having the DIRs in the first place is so that anyone interested in learning about individual religions will have somewhere to go to gather information and ask questions about those religions. To that end, the DIRs need to remain recognizable to people outside of whichever belief system they represent.

As non Hindu as this sounds, I have only one thing to say:

HALLELUJAH!

Maya