• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A religious practice question

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
So a long time ago maybe a year or two ago I attended a Pentecostal Church with my foster parent. This was a regular occurrence...in order for me to attend due to my autism I would bring these big headphones. It would be too loud otherwise and I wouldn't know whats going on plus I would be in pain without them. I forgot them one day. So I stood in the back behind these glass doors. Past the glass doors is where the church pews and service was held. I could hear what was going on altho due to how loud it was and such I had issues processing it. I watch them do this weird thing I didn't understand and hadn't seen before. A person would go up to the pastor the pastor would put their hands on said person say something and the person would fall down. I asked someone about it and they said they were sacrificed. Either that or they said sanctified and my issues with auditory processing got to me. The latter was more likely but with my questions about what she meant regarding sacrificed she decided to not clarify and got mad.Later I did research think it was a practice called slain in the spirit? Anyway since I didn't know what was going on I decided to go find my foster parent and ask her about it. I regretted it almost immediately. I was flapping my hands using vocal stimming trying to ignore the pain of all the sounds looking for my foster parent. The pastor saw me and gestured for me to come forth. I did said I was looking for my foster parent. She said something I didn't understand gestured for me to come closer. She said a bunch of words anointed my head, lead me back and placed her hand on my forehead. I had to resist the urge to scream cuz I was already over stimulated I did not need someone touching me. I caught 4 words only with what she said. Autism. Struggle. Holy Ghost. I was so confused as to what was going on. After that was over I had a meltdown. Too much stimulation. My question is this: what happened? Was this a faith healing? Or like what my friend maybe said sanctifaction/a sacrifice? Something else? And if why would they do whatever it was without asking me and making sure I knew what was going on? It was just so confusing and Ive asked people from the church about it afterwards but they didn't give any answers.

Last edited:

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
That's really creepy and idk what to tell you, but Pentecostal churches always freaked me out.

VoidCat

That's really creepy and idk what to tell you, but Pentecostal churches always freaked me out.
Pentecostal churches I dont really understand...I do plan on researching them sometime

Also I can almost never tell when they are speaking in tongues or my auditory processing issues got to me.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
So a long time ago maybe a year or two ago I attended a Pentecostal Church with my foster parent. This was a regular occurrence...in order for me to attend due to my autism I would bring these big headphones. It would be too loud otherwise and I wouldn't know whats going on plus I would be in pain without them. I forgot them one day. So I stood in the back behind these glass doors. Past the glass doors is where the church pews and service was held. I could hear what was going on altho due to how loud it was and such I had issues processing it. I watch them do this weird thing I didn't understand and hadn't seen before. A person would go up to the pastor the pastor would put their hands on said person say something and the person would fall down. I asked someone about it and they said they were sacrificed. Either that or they said sanctified and my issues with auditory processing got to me. The latter was more likely but with my questions about what she meant regarding sacrificed she decided to not clarify and got mad.Later I did research think it was a practice called slain in the spirit? Anyway since I didn't know what was going on I decided to go find my foster parent and ask her about it. I regretted it almost immediately. I was flapping my hands using vocal stimming trying to ignore the pain of all the sounds looking for my foster parent. The pastor saw me and gestured for me to come forth. I did said I was looking for my foster parent. She said something I didn't understand gestured for me to come closer. She said a bunch of words anointed my head, lead me back and placed her hand on my forehead. I had to resist the urge to scream cuz I was already over stimulated I did not need someone touching me. I caught 4 words only with what she said. Autism. Struggle. Holy Ghost. I was so confused as to what was going on. After that was over I had a meltdown. Too much stimulation. My question is this: what happened? Was this a faith healing? Or like what my friend maybe said sanctifaction/a sacrifice? Something else? And if why would they do whatever it was without asking me and making sure I knew what was going on? It was just so confusing and Ive asked people from the church about it afterwards but they didn't give any answers.

I think it's an altar call that and/or what you said about the healing. Years ago, they "called" me to the altar. I put my head on the steps, they said something (I have processing issues to from brain/seizures), and put oil on my head basically knocking me backwards. It's when they say the holy spirit "possess" your body. Some churches believe that the holy spirit comes into the priest and the priest "zaps" the holy spirit into you. Supposedly to "cure" your autism so far I understand what you read.

What popped out are a couple of things

1. It seemed like your foster parent didn't care or wasn't helpful when trying to understand whats going on without being stimulated. For me, it's like buzzing in my ears or something and I get this thing all over my skin, and can't function. So, I "kinda" get it. But she/he should have known.

2. They didn't tell you. Which, to me, doesn't sound like a healthy place to learn about god. Maybe they didn't know themselves and just been doing it so long, no one thought to ask if they're doing anything wrong or inappropriate. Even if so, god would justify their behavior.

3. I'd definitely find a different church, if you can. A place where they can sit and talk with you "and" not isolate you from stuff-with your permission.

I don't think she meant sacrifice. Most christians I know from any denomination I speak with consider the only person sacrificed is christ... so they don't compare since human sacrifice is different than godly sacrifice. It's most likely sanctification.

Other than that, I don't know. I'm sure there are more healthier churches you can go to where there are alternative services, bible studies, or so have you instead of going to big services.

VoidCat

I think it's an altar call that and/or what you said about the healing. Years ago, they "called" me to the altar. I put my head on the steps, they said something (I have processing issues to from brain/seizures), and put oil on my head basically knocking me backwards. It's when they say the holy spirit "possess" your body. Some churches believe that the holy spirit comes into the priest and the priest "zaps" the holy spirit into you. Supposedly to "cure" your autism so far I understand what you read.

1. It seemed like your foster parent didn't care or wasn't helpful when trying to understand whats going on without being stimulated. For me, it's like buzzing in my ears or something and I get this thing all over my skin, and can't function. So, I "kinda" get it. But she/he should have known.

2. They didn't tell you. Which, to me, doesn't sound like a healthy place to learn about god. Maybe they didn't know themselves and just been doing it so long, no one thought to ask if they're doing anything wrong or inappropriate. Even if so, god would justify their behavior.

3. I'd definitely find a different church, if you can. A place where they can sit and talk with you "and" not isolate you from stuff-with your permission.

I don't think she meant sacrifice. Most christians I know from any denomination I speak with consider the only person sacrificed is christ... so they don't compare since human sacrifice is different than godly sacrifice. It's most likely sanctification.

Other than that, I don't know. I'm sure there are more healthier churches you can go to where there are alternative services, bible studies, or so have you instead of going to big services.
Hadnt been there in a long time. No longer live with my foster parent.

Last edited:

VoidCat

"

She knew. In fact she brought me headphones so I could go to church with her. Problem is I forgot them.

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
It's basically a sort of blessing where the Holy Spirit comes upon you and overwhelms you (hence why you fall over). You're supposed to be healed and changed from it. It's common among Pentecostals and other charismatics.

VoidCat

It's basically a sort of blessing where the Holy Spirit comes upon you and overwhelms you (hence why you fall over). You're supposed to be healed and changed from it. It's common among Pentecostals and other charismatics.
Yeah well...I dont think I was overwhelmed from the Holy Spirit...I just was overwhelmed from all the noise. I sure as heck wouldn't have been ok with it. I don't want anyone trying to heal me of my autism.

VoidCat

May ask why not? It seems to cause you many issues in life. I assume the audio processing issues are tied to it. Not trying to be rude or anything.
It would completely change who I am including a lots of good things. Like for instance...a study I read once showed autistics to have a higher morality. If you take away my autism I might not be as moral. Also autistics when we are interested in something we are really interested. I could spend hours just researching paganism and witchcraft. Would that be the same if I wasn't autistic? Not to meantion I am not as bound by social pressure. It seems o me sometimes neurotypicals care too much about what others think but I could care less what others think cuz I am not motivated by social pressure. And I would miss stimming as well.Also I view things so differently noticing things others wouldn't. Not to meantion lots of autistics have a surplus of compassionate and affective empathy. I would lose who I am. So much would be lost.

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
It would completely change who I am including a lots of good things. Like for instance...a study I read once showed autistics to have a higher morality. If you take away my autism I might not be as moral. Also autistics when we are interested in something we are really interested. I could spend hours just researching paganism and witchcraft. Would that be the same if I wasn't autistic? Not to meantion I am not as bound by social pressure. It seems o me sometimes neurotypicals care too much about what others think but I could care less what others think cuz I am not motivated by social pressure. And I would miss stimming as well.Also I view things so differently noticing things others wouldn't. Not to meantion lots of autistics have a surplus of compassionate and affective empathy. I would lose who I am. So much would be lost.
I understand that. I just view it differently. I definitely want my mental illnesses and my transsexualism to be cured one day, or at least for others in the future if not for me. I can see some somewhat positive aspects from some of the conditions I have. Like how borderline people have a deep sense of empathy and sympathy, moreso than most. But even that has a bad side, because the intensity of the feelings are overwhelming.

Either way, my personality is not based around my illnesses. I exist apart from them. So I would be a better version of myself, one that is no longer suffering.

VoidCat

I understand that. I just view it differently. I definitely want my mental illnesses and my transsexualism to be cured one day, or at least for others in the future if not for me. I can see some somewhat positive aspects from some of the conditions I have. Like how borderline people have a deep sense of empathy and sympathy, moreso than most. But even that has a bad side, because the intensity of the feelings are overwhelming.

Either way, my personality is not based around my illnesses. I exist apart from them. So I would be a better version of myself, one that is no longer suffering.
I don't suffer from my autism. I suffer from a lack of support from a society that refuses to accommodate disability. My autism while not the only part of me is a huge part of who I am a different way of seeing the world and the way I view it is so beautiful...I wish I could show people sometimes...

Last edited:

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I caught 4 words only with what she said. Autism. Struggle. Holy Ghost. I was so confused as to what was going on. After that was over I had a meltdown. Too much stimulation.

My question is this: what happened? Was this a faith healing? Or like what my friend maybe said sanctifaction/a sacrifice? Something else? And if why would they do whatever it was without asking me and making sure I knew what was going on? It was just so confusing and Ive asked people from the church about it afterwards but they didn't give any answers.
That sounds dreadful. Yes, I can shed some light on all of this. I know it well. They call that faith healing in those circles, yes. That's a Pentecostal and Charismatic movement thing. Faith healing stuff in America began in the late 1800's, around the turn of the century. It took off with the Pentecostal movement beginning in 1901.

I'd guess they were calling it "sanctified" as one of their buzz words for being filled, or moved upon by the Spirit of God, or the Holy Ghost as they also call it. It's a Christianese term, in this holiness and faith healing type groups. Set apart for God, to be made pure or holy.

Why they would do it without asking you is because they are insane. That or arrogant and presumptive. That or so drunk on Jesus they've lost control of all decency. Pick any of the above. None are great. What they were probably saying was something like this, "Jesus, we rebuke this spirit of Autism from our sister/brother and sanctify them with the Holy Ghost, in the name of Jesus, Hallelujah! Amen!", and then some tongues speaking and energetic prayers after this.

Pentecostalism is an interesting topic for me. They are an energetic bunch.

nPeace

Veteran Member
I'm so sorry you went through that painful ordeal.
That's all I'll say, less I mash some more corns. :nomouth:
Maybe I will do that later. :grin:

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Pentecostal churches I dont really understand...I do plan on researching them sometime
Also I can almost never tell when they are speaking in tongues or my auditory processing issues got to me.

Why not compare what we can really learn from the Bible about speaking in tongues.
Please read Acts of the Apostles 2:6-8 because ' tongues ' simply means people who were there at that time were able to automatically speak to another person in their foreign language or mother tongue.
In other words, No translator was needed at that time.
This miraculous speaking in another person's language or ' mother tongue ' helped 1st-century Christianity get off to a flying start. It was only for that time frame.
We need to take language classes today in order to communicate in another language, whereas the people in Acts did Not have to take foreign language lessons in order to talk about the good news of Matthew 24:14; Acts 1:8.

VoidCat

Why not compare what we can really learn from the Bible about speaking in tongues.
Please read Acts of the Apostles 2:6-8 because ' tongues ' simply means people who were there at that time were able to automatically speak to another person in their foreign language or mother tongue.
In other words, No translator was needed at that time.
This miraculous speaking in another person's language or ' mother tongue ' helped 1st-century Christianity get off to a flying start. It was only for that time frame.
We need to take language classes today in order to communicate in another language, whereas the people in Acts did Not have to take foreign language lessons in order to talk about the good news of Matthew 24:14; Acts 1:8.
I meant what Pentecostals call speaking in tongues. Called glossolalia