• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A question from a noob?

Jack E Martling

Hi guys,

I am taking an informal poll. I enjoy debating religion on the internet very, very, very much and I take my "Internet Credibility" VERY seriously. A while back I got into a heated debate with the Post Count Leader of a very large discussion forum about Jean Luc Ponty/reincarnation/George Bush. As sometimes happens the discussion became a flamer fest. The Post Count Leader is thought to have massive credibility and at one point he said "everybody, everywhere know nows what a looser you are" and he even directed several profanity laded epithets at me.

My question would be "does everybody at every internet forum think I'm a looser?" My guess would be that most people have never even heard of me so that's while I'm taking this poll. Please help me out,

JerryL

As a sub question: Does someone starting a "am I a looser" poll seem rather needy and, by extension, is it a self-fulfilling position (feeling like a looser)?

Jack E Martling

JerryL said:
As a sub question: Does someone starting a "am I a looser" poll seem rather needy and, by extension, is it a self-fulfilling position (feeling like a looser)?
Bro, you've got me wrong. I don't feel lilke a looser I was wondering if I am perceived as one on the whole internet. My perception is that in the general world of the internet nobody even knows who I am outside of a few forums let alone has an opinion of me either way. Cool? :)

Deut 13:1

Jack E Martling said:
Bro, you've got me wrong. I don't feel lilke a looser I was wondering if I am perceived as one on the whole internet. My perception is that in the general world of the internet nobody even knows who I am outside of a few forums let alone has an opinion of me either way. Cool? :)
I come here only to have some fun and help represent Judaic positions, I don't care what non-Jews think of me, and as such, threads like this get no sympathy from me. A better question is why do you care what people you don't know think of you?

Aqualung

Tasty
You mean a "loser?" I agree with Binyamin. It's just an internet forum. If people think you're a looser or a loser, don't listen to them. There's a lot of wackos on forums who don't care whether or not you are a loser, and will think you are no matter what.

Aqualung said:
You mean a "loser?" I agree with Binyamin. It's just an internet forum. If people think you're a looser or a loser, don't listen to them. There's a lot of wackos on forums who don't care whether or not you are a loser, and will think you are no matter what.
Most of the time, I don't even look at who posted something, I respond to the content, the majority of people read posts and don't respond, why lower you yourself to their level. There our a few people's post I look forward to since I value their opinion more then others but that has more to do with the content they post more then their attitude.

For example, I look forward to reading Jayhawker's post even though they are normally harsh toward people because I know he is well educated and has thought about his position. He also knows Hebrew which make me at least read and attempt to understand his position over someone who doesn't who is using a translation which more then likely is inaccurate. On the flip side, I also enjoy reading Katzpur's post's and others for the opposite reason, while I, myself don't believe her to be as knowledgeable as some of the people on here, she is always very respectful and very organized at laying out her argument (even though I don't believe it -the argument- to have any validity). Again, I don't care what people think of me, I'm not a great english speaker as you can tell, but I try to at least articuately say my position as coherently as I can before I resort to flaming someone who purposely ignores the facts presented to them. My opinion.

Aqualung

Tasty
Binyamin said:
Most of the time, I don't even look at who posted something, I respond to the content, the majority of people read posts and don't respond, why lower you yourself to their level. There our a few people's post I look forward to since I value their opinion more then others but that has more to do with the content they post more then their attitude.
Yeah, same here.

And you're better at speaking english than a lot of americans!

Jack E Martling

Binyamin said:
I don't care what non-Jews think of me. A better question is why do you care what people you don't know think of you?
I'm pretty sure this guy is a Jew.

I care because as I said, I take my internet cred seriously. I can't have some random guy talking the bad talk about me on the innernet.

Aqualung said:
Yeah, same here.

And you're better at speaking english than a lot of americans!
thanks.

Jack E Martling said:
I'm pretty sure this guy is a Jew.
Thought about a career as a detective? I think you'd be good at it... Seriously. :)

Jack E Martling said:
I care because as I said, I take my internet cred seriously. I can't have some random guy talking the bad talk about me on the innernet.
Why not make some friends to debate in real life? :rolleyes:

Or even better, go to college and take some classes on religion, then you can debate people who are interested in the same thing you are.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Usually, I'd say that the internet is a smaller place than people think. In this case, I'd say the opposite. Unless you've posted here before, nobody here is probably aware of your reputation on another forum, nor should our opinion affect you.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Jack E Martling said:
My question would be "does everybody at every internet forum think I'm a looser?" My guess would be that most people have never even heard of me so that's while I'm taking this poll. Please help me out,
I'm having a hard time mustering sympathy for anyone self-absorbed enough to ask this question. Clearly tho, anyone who would ask this question is in need of sympathy.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I think it's silly to worry about your reputation on the internet. I never worry about mine, and don't know what people think of me. Nor do I care. It's not the point. I'm here for the fun of reading other's opinions and posting my own, not for securing a sterling reputation.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
It is very difficult to write your true opinions, if you worry about what others think.
I just put down what I care about, and on this site at least. they are extremely polite when they disagree.
In the Real word I make few concessions to other peoples beliefs, but I never attack them. I believe in live and let live.

Give it a try.......

Terry______________________--
Amen! Truly I say to you: Gather in my name. I am with you.

Jack E Martling

lilithu said:
I'm having a hard time mustering sympathy for anyone self-absorbed enough to ask this question. Clearly tho, anyone who would ask this question is in need of sympathy.
:(:(:(:(

You guys have obviously never been subjected to this kind of abuse.

I'm not asking for sympathy!!

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
So, you're not asking for sympathy, but you are asking if "does everybody at every internet forum think I'm a looser?"

Hopefully, we've answered your question. No, we don't.

And please don't assume things about what sort of internet abuse we have or have not been subjected to.

If you'd like to get a proper welcome, please post in our new members section.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Jack E Martling said:
:(:(:(:(

Well, Jack, you've come home, then. We don't allow that type of abuse on this board. If someone abuses you, you are encouraged to report the post in which it happened to the mods, who will review it and issue any appropriate sanctions. So, enjoy posting here!

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Jack E Martling said:
I've been called all sorts of things on message boards and forums and occasionally it's even bothered me. But I never thought that I could get validation by turning to anyone other than myself, and certainly not by asking a bunch of people who didn't know me from Eve.

Jack E Martling said:
I didn't say you were asking for sympathy; I said you were in need of sympathy.

Look, I am not the nurturing type like Feathers but I don't really want to hurt you. I'm just still having a hard time believing that you don't see how ridiculous this is. What did you envision? That you would come here and ask your question and that several of us would say, "No, we don't think that you're a 'looser.'" And then you could go back to the other forum and say to the dude who put you down that he was incorrect? That it is not the case that people everywhere think you're a "looser"? Do you really think he's gonna say, "Oh, I'm sorry; I was wrong about that." Do you really think that would re-establish your "cred" with the other members over there?

If you want credibility, you have to establish it within yourself, not by conducting opinion polls. Why do you care what this guy said?? Do you think that the other members are going to think you're a loser just because of this one insult by this one dude? If that's the case, not only do you not have any confidence in yourself, you obviously don't have any confidence in the intelligence of the other members either.

Jack E Martling

OK, maybe I was looking for sympathy.:(

But you had to be there, this guy really flamed me and I mean he tried to burn me to a crisp. Then, he threw curse words at me left and right and even submitted a picture of me with a Photoshopper treatment on it that was highly insulting.

Then he said he told everybody everywhere I was a looser and I guess I believed him.

I'll shut up now, I'm sorry I started this thread because now I'm embarassed because you guys don't know me. :(

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Don't worry about it. Lots of people come to these forums after having had a bad taste of other boards.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Jack E Martling said:
OK, maybe I was looking for sympathy.:(

But you had to be there, this guy really flamed me and I mean he tried to burn me to a crisp. Then, he threw curse words at me left and right and even submitted a picture of me with a Photoshopper treatment on it that was highly insulting.

Then he said he told everybody everywhere I was a looser and I guess I believed him.

I'll shut up now, I'm sorry I started this thread because now I'm embarassed because you guys don't know me. :(
Well now you have my sympathy. :) The guy sounds like a real abusive, looser (I'm starting to like that spelling!) and I know it can be hard to brush stuff like that off. In which case, I second Sunstone's last post. That kind of thing is not allowed here. So why not put it behind you? Grab a comfy chair, and a mug of your favorite beverage, and talk about something else. We're actually pretty nice for the most part. :)