• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A question for all religious believers -- why is your religion more true than any other?

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
It does seem to me that all of the religious people I know accept that their creed, their religion's essential beliefs, are correct, while all others -- because they obviously don't agree with the central tenets of their sect, must be somehow lacking.
Yes, different religions an different sects within a religion have different beliefs.
This thread is meant to be a great opportunity for believers of all kinds to engage -- to write apologetics in defense of their beliefs. I'm hoping to see significant essays!
Since each probably believes theirs is correct, why is it that they think that? Easy question.
My religion is not better, more superior or truer than other religions.
As you know, I was going to Baha'i meetings and even went with Baha'is to some of their "mass teaching" events. I was taught that it is the true message from God for today. None of the other religions have this new information. That kind of makes the Baha'i faith better and truer, if not even superior to all the others... if what they claim is true. Why do you believe that the Baha'i Faith is not better, truer, or superior to the other religions? Especially, when another Baha'is gives us reasons to believe it is?
God gives and renwews all the Messengers who bring the Religions. All religions from God have been given for us to find Love in a unity of purpose and service to each other.

Religions also have seasons and are renewed approximately every 1000 years. Thus all Faiths will have a winter of decay before the spring of a new Message unfolds. They, one and all, after the spring of renewal and growth, will all have an apex of summer before autumn eventually sets in bringing about the winter of their decline.

Some embrace the new and the religion grows to the potential of the capacity of those that have embraced it. All religions have the capacity to unite all humanity.

Some are not able to let go of the past and say with the older religions.
This is the Baha'i message I always heard. It's a message I disagree with. A new religion didn't always renew another. Maybe, for some, Buddhas teachings renewed what some Hindus believed. Then the Christian message renewed the beliefs of some Jews. But for many years, and maybe even centuries, most of the people in the world never heard of some of these religions. So, how could they renew anything?

Did the teachings of Krishna renew the teachings of Moses? Or vice a versa, depending on who Baha'is believe came first. Same with Christianity, how did it renew the teachings of the Buddha?

Now, with world-wide communications, this new message of the Baha'i Faith can be heard by people the world over. But before that, new religions were too localized to have any effect on most of the other religions.
So the Truth is found in the God given religion applicable to the age we live in, the standard humanity needs to find will be its teachings and its laws. The highest aspirations that are possible, that will bring about unity and the peace and security of all humanity, would have already been given.
Which makes it hard to believe that any new religion was now supposed to be the new and correct teachings for a new age. But the new religions didn't necessarily bring peace and security to humanity... They brought fighting and conquering and forced conversions.

And with a religion like Christianity, when do Baha'is say was their spring and summer? And when do Baha'is believe that Christianity ever taught the real truth? They believe in hell and Satan... in the resurrection and that Jesus was God. All things that Baha'is say are not true. Yet, Christian spread this message as if it was the new truth from God.

And don't Baha'is believe their winter was already happening when Muhammad came? Since Baha'is believe he was the one that God sent to renew religion. But Christianity kept growing long after that. Then it renewed itself with the Protestant Reformation that went back to the basics of belief based on the teaching in their Scriptures. Which still included beliefs that Baha'is say are not true.

I don't think the Baha'i model is accurate in how it explains the different religions. So, can you support your beliefs? Or...
You made quite a number of very explicit claims in the post I responded to, and I can see you have no intention of supporting them.
Maybe not. Is this true? You have no intention of supporting them?

Actually, a lot of us here have already heard the "support" Baha'is offer. And like most other religions, it is based on a certain interpretation that works for some but not for others. It depends on faith and a belief that your prophet, Baha'u'llah, is telling the truth and is the promised one of all the other major religions.

Big claim. But how can Baha'is support it? You know people in some of the other religions are going to reject it. You know that as soon as you say, "God said", that Atheists will reject it.

All you can say is why you believe it. Which all comes down to you saying that your beliefs are true, and the beliefs of others are wrong in some way.

muhammad_isa

I do not believe God is a tyrant. He offers eternal life to everyone. He can't be faulted if people reject the offer..
Well, we more or less agree on that point..

I believe that may happen but it is not guaranteed as it is for Christians..
What is not "guaranteed"? The fire of hell?
That is what I was replying to..

I doubt what Muslims believe has much validity..
..then you are ignorant of others' creeds.
Muslims and Jews believe more or less the same thing.
Do you also tell us that Jews belief has no credence?

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
This is the Baha'i message I always heard. It's a message I disagree with. A new religion didn't always renew another. Maybe, for some, Buddhas teachings renewed what some Hindus believed. Then the Christian message renewed the beliefs of some Jews. But for many years, and maybe even centuries, most of the people in the world never heard of some of these religions. So, how could they renew anything?

Did the teachings of Krishna renew the teachings of Moses? Or vice a versa, depending on who Baha'is believe came first. Same with Christianity, how did it renew the teachings of the Buddha?

Now, with world-wide communications, this new message of the Baha'i Faith can be heard by people the world over. But before that, new religions were too localized to have any effect on most of the other religions.
From my understanding up until the Bab, no two Messengers had walked the earth at the same time.

So each of the previous dispensations would have annulled the Message of the previous dispensations. The issue is, we as humanity were not looking for this, and still are not.

This is a new concept that we are yet to embrace as a united humanity.

Regards Tony

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
Truth is to be in accordance with virtues. My religion is true because it stands up to experience, taught me self control, and humbles me toward all life and not just in or out groups. The more I learn the less I realize that I know. Ideals can make one absolutely humble or totally unrealistic and egotistical.

If truth doesn't humble a person, it's not the truth.

Yes, different religions an different sects within a religion have different beliefs.

Since each probably believes theirs is correct, why is it that they think that? Easy question.

As you know, I was going to Baha'i meetings and even went with Baha'is to some of their "mass teaching" events. I was taught that it is the true message from God for today. None of the other religions have this new information. That kind of makes the Baha'i faith better and truer, if not even superior to all the others... if what they claim is true. Why do you believe that the Baha'i Faith is not better, truer, or superior to the other religions? Especially, when another Baha'is gives us reasons to believe it is?

Which makes it hard to believe that any new religion was now supposed to be the new and correct teachings for a new age. But the new religions didn't necessarily bring peace and security to humanity... They brought fighting and conquering and forced conversions.

And with a religion like Christianity, when do Baha'is say was their spring and summer? And when do Baha'is believe that Christianity ever taught the real truth? They believe in hell and Satan... in the resurrection and that Jesus was God. All things that Baha'is say are not true. Yet, Christian spread this message as if it was the new truth from God.

And don't Baha'is believe their winter was already happening when Muhammad came? Since Baha'is believe he was the one that God sent to renew religion. But Christianity kept growing long after that. Then it renewed itself with the Protestant Reformation that went back to the basics of belief based on the teaching in their Scriptures. Which still included beliefs that Baha'is say are not true.

I don't think the Baha'i model is accurate in how it explains the different religions. So, can you support your beliefs? Or...

Maybe not. Is this true? You have no intention of supporting them?

Actually, a lot of us here have already heard the "support" Baha'is offer. And like most other religions, it is based on a certain interpretation that works for some but not for others. It depends on faith and a belief that your prophet, Baha'u'llah, is telling the truth and is the promised one of all the other major religions.

Big claim. But how can Baha'is support it? You know people in some of the other religions are going to reject it. You know that as soon as you say, "God said", that Atheists will reject it.

All you can say is why you believe it. Which all comes down to you saying that your beliefs are true, and the beliefs of others are wrong in some way.
I don’t say any Religion is wrong, I follow my Religion and don’t concern my self with the beliefs off others.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Truth is to be in accordance with virtues. My religion is true because it stands up to experience, taught me self control, and humbles me toward all life and not just in or out groups. The more I learn the less I realize that I know. Ideals can make one absolutely humble or totally unrealistic and egotistical.

If truth doesn't humble a person, it's not the truth.
What is your basis for that. I believe it is not a tautology.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I chose what works best for me. I am not inclined to force my beliefs on anyone else. Maybe something else works best for them, I don't know. However, if I am asked why, for instance, I am joyful, I will tell them what works best for me, and why. That being said, I think we are all in for some surprises at the end of time as we know it. Myself included. I know I don't have things all figured out. I adjust my thinking as I get older and accumulate more wisdom.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
What is your basis for that. I believe it is not a tautology.
Ego is overestimating one's nature and abilities and having self confidence not rooted in truth and actuality. Arrogance is different because it's a feeling of superiority without any desire to justify it, nor does it care what is true; according to my definition of truth. Everyone must deal with facts, but truth is more than facts.

Virtues are principles, character traits and also ideals. Truth is in accordance with virtues. The human plight is that nothing is ideal, and people struggle with their biological nature, desires, and environment. Humanity has the capacity and potential to do good, even though many are not in a position to help others. Virtues if properly understood and defined can humble a person because human nature and existence will never be ideal.

Virtues are truth values. Perfect character is unattainable. There are degrees of virtue, as well as vices. Humans can do good, but they can do great harm with ignorance, and stupidity. Evil outright defies virtues in favor of arrogance.

It's not easy to see the forest from the trees. Accepting virtues as truth is humbling. Ego draws one to arrogance, but is not arrogance. Virtue draws one to humility if they accept it upon realizing it.

However existence isn't built on virtues. Humans have made civilization from the wild nature of reality. That is also humbling. Coexistence with others has always been a struggle, and often enough a war. A war against nature, existence, self, others.