• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A question concerning grammar ...

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Let's say that someone posts the following: "... that comment show real wisdom."

Which of the following responses is grammatically correct"
  • What do you mean by "wisdom"?
  • What do you mean by "wisdom?"

I would assume the first.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I think the first but i am perhaps the last person who should comment. My method seems to be that is a sentence has grammar in it somewhere then its probably OK.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Let's say that someone posts the following: "... that comment show real wisdom."

Yes, because including the question mark inside the inverted commas would wrongly imply it constituted part of the term that is being challenged. I'm not sure that the term "wisdom?" has any meaning. :D

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
It really depends on whom we want to make something clear to. Unless it's some weird grammar professor who thinks otherwise, it's much more sensical and more easily read to go with the first.

A Vestigial Mote

A simple search on Google of: "when does punctuation go inside quotation marks" returned this:

Google said:
All punctuation goes inside the closing quotation marks. This includes commas, periods, question marks, and exclamation points. Chicago: Periods and commas always go inside quotation marks.

However, upon further inspection of some of the sites returned:

https://www.grammarly.com/blog/quotation-marks/ said:
Do commas and periods go inside or outside quotation marks?
  • Commas and periods always go inside the quotation marks in American English; dashes, colons, and semicolons almost always go outside the quotation marks; question marks and exclamation marks sometimes go inside, sometimes stay outside.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The first is correct if you're asking a question.

The second if you're quoting someone asking a question.
But then the 2nd would need a period at the end of the sentence (after the 2nd quotation mark).

Ain't we nerdy!

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

It's the first. The second would be more "

What do you mean by "wisdom"?
What do you mean by "is this wisdom?"

As for if one could say, what do you mean by "is this wisdom?"? That. I'm not sure. I should know since I used to be an ESL teacher. Used to be.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
A simple search on Google of: "when does punctuation go inside quotation marks" returned this:

However, upon further inspection of some of the sites returned:
As I see it.....
What goes inside quotation marks should be character by character
accurate (other than inserting ellipses to indicate removed text).
Outside of those, use normal sentence punctuation.

A Vestigial Mote

As I see it.....
What goes inside quotation marks should be character by character
accurate (other than inserting ellipses to indicate removed text).
Outside of those, use normal sentence punctuation.
I can understand that for quoting blocks of text, and wanting to remain entirely true to the original production. But if the quote is only a part, or remains open-ended as a thought, but you still want to end the sentence, then I think the rules I quoted are still supposed to stand.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I can understand that for quoting blocks of text, and wanting to remain entirely true to the original production. But if the quote is only a part, or remains open-ended as a thought, but you still want to end the sentence, then I think the rules I quoted are still supposed to stand.
Your quoted rules are fine....as long as they agree with what I want.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member

Truthfully, I would prefer the construction

What do you mean by 'wisdom'?

Reason: It is common in philosophical writing to use single quotes when talking about words.

The usual rules of quoting are for standard writing, where most punctuation goes inside the double quotes. But this falls under a more technical type of writing where conventions may differ.

wandering peacefully

Which way to the woods?
Truthfully, I would prefer the construction

What do you mean by 'wisdom'?

Reason: It is common in philosophical writing to use single quotes when talking about words.

The usual rules of quoting are for standard writing, where most punctuation goes inside the double quotes. But this falls under a more technical type of writing where conventions may differ.
After perusing the thread, I still have no idea where to put the quotes and punctuation! Where is @Vouthon ?

QuestioningMind

Actually I think it should be: What do you mean by 'wisdom'?

A double quotation mark denotes dialogue in fiction, while the single quotation mark denotes a word or words being quoted by another.