• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Plea for Guidance

Hronsdlensel

For most of my life, I've held a set of beliefs that did not seem to fit with what I knew of religion. Abrahamic religions, while admirable, were never for me. Many Indian religions such as Hinduism and Buddhism appealed to me, but I could not really believe in them. I have a feeling that I might be a pagan, but with the vast variety of pagan faiths out there it has been daunting to pinpoint which best suits me. Please, I beg your help. I have a great respect for the wisdom of this forum and those that frequent it, and I am sure you could help me along my path. I only want to put a name to my gods, to have a name for my faith and perhaps, if I am very fortunate, others who can share and sympathize with my beliefs. In that hope, let me explain what I believe.
I believe that there are multiple gods and goddesses, but that they are not the creators of the universe, or even necessarily of humanity. They are, in as far as I can tell, simply the most powerful beings in the universe, the greatest forces of change that exist, who can alter and manipulate the world with great efficacy, but can never create something from nothing. I believe that there is a balance in the universe, between all polar forces, be they electrical charges or the forces of good and evil. I believe that everything has a spirit, animate or not. I believe in reincarnation. I do not believe in heaven or hell, or any such alternate world, because I believe this world is sacred, and holds in it all that we shall ever experience. I believe deeply in the power of ritual, and to some degree in magic, though I do not hold much faith with the idea that we can readily perform feats with magic. That, I believe, is more the power of the gods. These are my beliefs in short.
Thank you for reading this, and for any assistance you may give.

Hronsdlensel

Thank you both! I don't know how I missed the Seeker's Directory, but I imagine I'll be spending a lot of time there. The Belief-O-Matic returned that I am a perfect match for Neo-Paganism, but that I am also close to Mahayana Buddhism.

Orias

Left Hand Path
I'd say, names and labels mean nothing to "Gods".

Realizing One's own Magical potential is the key, with that you must unlock your heart to enemy and ally alike.

If I were you, I wouldn't want to put my own Self evolution at stake, be wary of the world around you, and listen and understand that spontaneous voice in your in head.

External properties such as myself and others have little say in your own developing mind, all we can offer is experience and thought, because you don't learn after not doing.

To sum it up, understanding who and what you are, understanding the Self can only lead to a greater understanding of the Universe in which you exist.

You said you believe "Gods" have great power and can manipulate the world with great efficacy, maybe thats a clue that you should start realizing that what we as humans have done to become what we are. But this doesn't go without saying that we are beyond ourselves as well.

Welcome to the forum.

Adonis65

For most of my life, I've held a set of beliefs that did not seem to fit with what I knew of religion. Abrahamic religions, while admirable, were never for me. Many Indian religions such as Hinduism and Buddhism appealed to me, but I could not really believe in them. I have a feeling that I might be a pagan, but with the vast variety of pagan faiths out there it has been daunting to pinpoint which best suits me. Please, I beg your help. I have a great respect for the wisdom of this forum and those that frequent it, and I am sure you could help me along my path. I only want to put a name to my gods, to have a name for my faith and perhaps, if I am very fortunate, others who can share and sympathize with my beliefs. In that hope, let me explain what I believe.
I believe that there are multiple gods and goddesses, but that they are not the creators of the universe, or even necessarily of humanity. They are, in as far as I can tell, simply the most powerful beings in the universe, the greatest forces of change that exist, who can alter and manipulate the world with great efficacy, but can never create something from nothing. I believe that there is a balance in the universe, between all polar forces, be they electrical charges or the forces of good and evil. I believe that everything has a spirit, animate or not. I believe in reincarnation. I do not believe in heaven or hell, or any such alternate world, because I believe this world is sacred, and holds in it all that we shall ever experience. I believe deeply in the power of ritual, and to some degree in magic, though I do not hold much faith with the idea that we can readily perform feats with magic. That, I believe, is more the power of the gods. These are my beliefs in short.

I really like that you are intent on believing in something. This will prove to be of great worth to you when times get tough. Many walk aimlessly through life, not knowing what they want, and often suffer for this lack of grounding.

I wish you great peace & success on your journey! :)

Last edited:

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
I'm not sure you're going to find a religion that fits all those criteria. Have you thought about wicca, or Scientology?

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Yeah, I was just hoping to get a bit more information before giving it. Neopaganism sounds like a good fit, and of course I think he should check out UU.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Yeah, I was just hoping to get a bit more information before giving it. Neopaganism sounds like a good fit, and of course I think he should check out UU.
Ah, gotcha. Yeah, wicca or paganism I suppose. Does UU allow for that kind of leeway?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Many Indian religions such as Hinduism and Buddhism appealed to me, but I could not really believe in them. I

Which sects of Hinduism did you explore? Its pretty vast, and some sects in particular are more ritualistic, and 'magical'. A lot of people take a quick look, see one small bit, then gereralise, something like thinking toledo is representatie of America, or all Americans act like the ones in Toledo. (I'm only using Toledo because of Klinger in MASH.. on offense to Toledians)

Draka

Wonder Woman

I'm really not one for ever promoting or advocating my own religion or faith to anyone (I detest proselytizing), but with what you describe I think I can feel safe in at least recommending you to do some searching into Wicca and other like religions. If you have any questions for me I'll be happy to answer what I can either here or in PMs (whichever you feel more comfortable with). I've had Pagan-ish beliefs ever since I was a young teen (about 20 years ago) and have been Wiccan for the last 10 years. I'm more Eclectic with Celtic leanings and I'm a Solitary.

Good luck on your search.