• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A mental image

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
How do you know that there is such a thing as a highest form of life?

The best adapted for certain circunstances or the most fortunate by some parameters, that I can see.

But how does one get to decide in a non-arbitrary way that a certain form of life is somehow higher than some other?
You're asking an interesting philosophical question from which books could be written discussing what "higher" means in this context and how one evaluates forms of life against that standard.

There are theological answers to your question but some would consider those arbitrary and others would not.

ether-ore

Some people seem to think that to have an accurate mental image of God is important. The debate goes on and on for centuries with no peaceful resolution in sight. I think that now with the internet it is picking up so much so that if all the words about whether God is Just One or if God is a Trinity were on paper the weight would sink the Earth. Not a good thing.

So I want to talk about why. Why is is so damn important to agree with you?

To make a carved image of God is a sin. So important a sin that it is said to have been written on stone by God's own self/selves.

This is my opinion. A mental image of something is more important than a physical image. I think that if a physical image of God is prohibited then a mental image is too.

A physical image is not able to do anything. A mental image leads the believer in a way that he or she believes the image dictates.
I agree with you that this issue will have no resolution for the duration of this earth. Speaking for myself (and making no implied requirement that anyone else accept it), it is necessary for me to know that I am in God's image because that confirms for me what my eternal potential is. Also, if Jesus Christ is resurrected and is therefore physical, then when He fulfills His promise to resurrect me, I too will have a physical immortal body in the eternities. Whether or not someone else accepts that, is to me, irrelevant, since I believe they will be resurrected as well, regardless. From my perspective, the only question that remains is... resurrected to what status. The importance of that question resides in my wish for the best for my brothers and sisters. However, agency is the rule and the choices are theirs and I make no pretense for coercion.

Robert.Evans

You will be assimilated; it is His Will.
Some people seem to think that to have an accurate mental image of God is important. The debate goes on and on for centuries with no peaceful resolution in sight. I think that now with the internet it is picking up so much so that if all the words about whether God is Just One or if God is a Trinity were on paper the weight would sink the Earth. Not a good thing.

So I want to talk about why. Why is is so damn important to agree with you?

To make a carved image of God is a sin. So important a sin that it is said to have been written on stone by God's own self/selves.

This is my opinion. A mental image of something is more important than a physical image. I think that if a physical image of God is prohibited then a mental image is too.

A physical image is not able to do anything. A mental image leads the believer in a way that he or she believes the image dictates.
You make a good point that a carved image is not allowed and yet words are carved into stone - interesting.

Also interesting though that the first Ten Words (commandments) were spoken and not said to be carved - although we take that for granted, they couldn't have been as they did not line up with Ex34 Ten Words.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
How do you know that there is such a thing as a highest form of life?

The best adapted for certain circunstances or the most fortunate by some parameters, that I can see.

But how does one get to decide in a non-arbitrary way that a certain form of life is somehow higher than some other?
we see the differences continually....

but just for entertainment........
the Komodo dragon appears to have been around a lot longer than Man
you would prefer their presence to mine?

Abishai100

Behavioral Consciousness

One view of God held by theists is that God is a paternal character who seeks to make man as virtuous and ethical as God is.

Such a view/belief reinforces an image of God as being at least similar to human beings.

Would we be offended as human beings if God made little caricatures or dolls shaped like us (just to entertain Himself or to cater to his personal optimism)?

I think context is important, so we can 'argue' that God would say 'nice' things such as "Making an image of Me is better than making an image of Satan or Hell, so I can pardon the somewhat overly exuberant deed!"

It does seem that dialogue about making images of God raises contemplation of self-destructive behavior such as intentional malice and arson.

Arson

blake.jpgimage.jpg