• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A mental image

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It seems to me that the people who worry about whether God has one part or three also believe that:

- it's important to worship God.
- it's wrong to worship anyone or anything that isn't God.

Starting with those two premises, it's easy to reach the conclusion that if you don't have a clear idea of what is and isn't God, you're probably going to behave in ways that you wouldn't want.

If you're arguing that theists shouldn't worry about this, then you're effectively saying that one of those premises is wrong.
-It is important to know that God is LOVE.
-It is important to refrain from worshipping anything but godly love .

I am certain love is something that can't be drawn either mentally or physically.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
In regard to God....image is a word of double meaning....

God created Man is His image.....it's not physical.
God forbids a carving of representation of Himself....it's simply ineffective.

But we can't really do nothing....and expect all will be well.

If you make no consideration what God might be like.....
how then to prepare for the pending approach?
Right. But how I consider God is not how you consider God. Isn't that right? They say it is wrong that we can consider The God differently.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
-It is important to know that God is LOVE.
-It is important to refrain from worshipping anything but godly love .

I am certain love is something that can't be drawn either mentally or physically.
And I'm certain that you're trying to shove your personal theology into other people's belief systems.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I'd like that post sir 9-10 (I know you don't care) for the laugh but I can't because I feel stomped on.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I am not saying it is wrong to consider The God differently. I am saying it is wrong of them to say we must consider The God the same. OK?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
You are certain love can be drawn I assume by dissecting your remark. So? Why not give it a try?
You completely misunderstood my post.

I didn't make up "God is love" fyi.
No, and you aren't the first person to pull tbe phrase out of context, either.

If you meant this thread only for people who accept the Bible as true, why didn't you address it to Christians specifically?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You completely misunderstood my post.

No, and you aren't the first person to pull tbe phrase out of context, either.

If you meant this thread only for people who accept the Bible as true, why didn't you address it to Christians specifically?
You said I am "trying to shove [my] personal theology into other people's belief systems." This is a major insult, I do not like insults without an explanation. Please, as a welcomed atheist, provide your explanation.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The only thing that I can see in the intro that is stating anything (as fact) is "making an image of God is a sin". I was referring to The Law. OK? Without the law that people (many people) call "God's law" I wouldn't probably SAY it is a sin, I might not even KKOW it is a sin. Peace@!

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
You said I am "trying to shove [my] personal theology into other people's belief systems." This is a major insult, I do not like insults without an explanation. Please, as a welcomed atheist, provide your explanation.
As I explained earlier, the thing that you're criticizing is rooted in ideas that are central to the beliefs of many theists: that worship of God is important and that worship of other things is wrong. This is what leads to questions like "is Jesus God?" (and the debate that ensues): if Jesus is God and they don't worship him, then they're failing in their duty. If Jesus isn't God and they do worship him, then they're committing a serious sin. This is why these questions are so important to many people.

And then you come along arguing a position that implies that their fundamental beliefs are wrong or that they're placing importance on thr wrong thing. When I pointed this out to you, you piled on more by arguing that these people are worshipping wrong (i.e. by worshipping God instead of "God's love").

All in all, this thread just amounts to you arguing that people should change their theology to de-emphasize the things YOU don't think are important. That's why I say you're shoving your theology into other people's belief systems.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The thread's theme is about physical images and mental images, are they both considered disrespectful of God. Why or why not?

I believe a stubborn mental image is more disrespectful of God. I believe a mental image is able to do damage. I think a physical image can't do much damage

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
As I explained earlier, the thing that you're criticizing is rooted in ideas that are central to the beliefs of many theists: that worship of God is important and that worship of other things is wrong. This is what leads to questions like "is Jesus God?" (and the debate that ensues): if Jesus is God and they don't worship him, then they're failing in their duty. If Jesus isn't God and they do worship him, then they're committing a serious sin. This is why these questions are so important to many people.

And then you come along arguing a position that implies that their fundamental beliefs are wrong or that they're placing importance on thr wrong thing. When I pointed this out to you, you piled on more by arguing that these people are worshipping wrong (i.e. by worshipping God instead of "God's love").

All in all, this thread just amounts to you arguing that people should change their theology to de-emphasize the things YOU don't think are important. That's why I say you're shoving your theology into other people's belief systems.
OK. Why are they arguing? Why do they say believe it one way or the other OR DIE?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Who is doing this? Please be specific.

Whatever Unitarian vs. Trinitarian war you know of isn't on the news here.
Born again (I can't mention her name) says that I must believe Jesus is God. That is her objective here. (I might be wrong). ALL Jehovah's Witnesses preach that Jesus is not God and I must believe their way (about more than that - about everything).

I have seen that many people who leave the organization of Jehovah's Witnesses have become people strongly advocating that Jesus is God.

You chose wisely imo. I am not able to choose atheism. Why is another topic I shouldn't venture into.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
[QUOTE="savagewind, post: 4387423, member Born again (I can't mention her name) says that I must believe Jesus is God. That is her objective here. (I might be wrong). ALL Jehovah's Witnesses preach that Jesus is not God and I must believe their way (about more than that - about everything).

I have seen that many people who leave the organization of Jehovah's Witnesses have become people strongly advocating that Jesus is God.

You chose wisely imo. I am not able to choose atheism. Why is another topic I shouldn't venture into.[/QUOTE]
... and you think that the JWs have been threatening people with death over this issue? You said that people are saying "believe it one way or the other OR DIE". Who is doing this?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
[QUOTE="savagewind, post: 4387423, member Born again (I can't mention her name) says that I must believe Jesus is God. That is her objective here. (I might be wrong). ALL Jehovah's Witnesses preach that Jesus is not God and I must believe their way (about more than that - about everything).

You chose wisely imo. I am not able to choose atheism. Why is another topic I shouldn't venture into.
... and you think that the JWs have been threatening people with death over this issue? You said that people are saying "believe it one way or the other OR DIE". Who is doing this?
They say the Bible says so. Of course they wouldn't say it outright. Most JWs aren't that stupid.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
They say the Bible says so. Of course they wouldn't say it outright. Most JWs aren't that stupid.
So when you say that people are saying "believe this or die", you aren't talking about real people making real threats against other real people?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
So when you say that people are saying "believe this or die", you aren't talking about real people making real threats against other real people?
You win. It is their theology which says so. And I am supposed to believe their theology.
I disagree with their theology. And that is OK because they and you disagree with mine.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The thread is about is there a difference between a physical image and a mental image and what is the difference if there is one.