1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured A "Loving" God

Discussion in 'General Religious Debates' started by 12_13, Mar 25, 2020.

1. 12_13

12_13 Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Religion:
    Atheism-don't believe in a God but can be spiritual with nature
    Isaiah 13

Their infants will be dashed to pieces before their eyes; their houses will be looted and their wives ravished.
    Their bows will strike down the young men; they will have no mercy on infants nor will they look with compassion on children.

Numbers 31

They fought against Midian, as the LORD commanded Moses, and killed every man.
    The Israelites captured the Midianite women and children and took all the Midianite herds, flocks and goods as plunder.
    They burned all the towns where the Midianites had settled, as well as all their camps.
    They took all the plunder and spoils, including the people and animals,
    and brought the captives, spoils and plunder to Moses and Eleazar the priest and the Israelite assembly at their camp on the plains of Moab, by the Jordan across from Jericho.
    Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man,
    but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

Jeremiah 19
    I will devastate this city and make it an object of scorn; all who pass by will be appalled and will scoff because of all its wounds.
    I will make them eat the flesh of their sons and daughters, and they will eat one another's flesh during the stress of the siege imposed on them by the enemies who seek their lives.'

Leviticus 20:

9 For every one that curseth his father or his mother shall be surely put to death: he hath cursed his father or his mother; his blood shall be upon him.

Hosea 9

Even if they rear children, I will bereave them of every one. Woe to them when I turn away from them!
    I have seen Ephraim, like Tyre, planted in a pleasant place. But Ephraim will bring out their children to the slayer."
    Ephraim is blighted, their root is withered, they yield no fruit. Even if they bear children, I will slay their cherished offspring."

So this is a loving God???

2. whirlingmerc

whirlingmerc Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +838
    Religion:
    Christian

Actually, yes.

God loves his holiness and protects his justice.
    God loves his elect and will act against those who harm them.

Everyone loves something. God is benevolent toward the world but loving toward his children.
    In contrast 'Jacob I loved and Essau I hated' so says Malichi

A parent may dearly love a child and fiercely oppose what might bring harm to that child,
    no inconsistency.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Unveiled Artist

Unveiled Artist Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +8,423
    Loving god is based on their experiences. If the bible mirrors their experiences, then the god of the bible is loving not of hate and murder. The bible confirms their experiences not defines them.

4. whirlingmerc

Ratings:
    +838
    Religion:
    Christian

There are some passages that may be interpreted as asking God to use the disciplines of his acts to humble them and move them to repentance. In that light it would be a loving act towards them.

Continuing in rebellion will lead them to an eternal hell away from the enjoyment of God's presence.

5. Trailblazer

Trailblazer Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +2,831
    Religion:
    Baha'i
    I do not believe that the OT was God speaking. Rather, it was men who wrote about God.

If you want to wonder about a loving God, I suggest you wonder why God has allowed so many people to suffer, including during this coronavirus outbreak and what will be the aftermath. :oops:
    Yet believers are still praying to God as if He had nothing to do with it.
    Needless to say, I am not attending any of their "virtual" prayer meetings.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. 12_13

12_13 Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Religion:
    God loves his murdering of children

• Like Like x 1
  7. 12_13

12_13 Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Religion:
    they wrote that God commanded them to murder people

8. whirlingmerc

Ratings:
    +838
    Religion:
    Christian

And there's a disconnect today. People rightly are concerned about vulnerable older people with corona virus however not so much about vulnerable helpless unborn.

9. Saint Frankenstein

Saint Frankenstein Veteran Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +14,636
    Religion:
    Germanic Folk Revival / LHP
    Views of God evolve throughout the Bible. In the earlier Hebrew writings, God was still mostly viewed as a tribal deity of the Jews who was their champion during their wars. But we see their ideas of God becoming larger later on with the major prophets and their calls for universal mercy and justice.

• Like Like x 2
  10. whirlingmerc

Ratings:
    +838
    Religion:
    Christian

I don't think 'evolve' would be a good description since the Bible was God breathed or inspired by a God who sees the end from the beginning. 'Unfold' or 'progressive revelation' might be improved words.

11. Trailblazer

Ratings:
    +2,831
    Religion:
    Baha'i
    I believe that is bunk. The OT is an anthropomorphism.

12. Saint Frankenstein

Saint Frankenstein Veteran Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +14,636
    Religion:
    Germanic Folk Revival / LHP
    Humans wrote the Bible. It's not the Qur'an, where Muslims believe God dictated it and Muhammad was just the secretary. The Bible was written and edited over a period of centuries. Yes, views on God evolved over that period.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. rational experiences

rational experiences Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +50
    Religion:
    spiritualist
    Does God in stone philosophy chosen human male sciences...today human science talk?

No.

Does the history of the vision of what was studied talk. For I learnt that human science was invented by studying a vision. And a vision is a non speaking event...but involved transformation through destruction.

That said the Sun the angel that rebelled against stone existing...attacked Earth, converted Earth, putting its evil body into stone...Sun extra radiation. Earth survived because of water, for Earth flooded right up the mountain tip exposure.

o flat topped ^ removed the mountain/stone. o a radiating hot machine...not even cold metal mass....hot.

The Destroyer/transformer image of the past.

A male therefore thought science as a human. Named God by science psyche human.....then built the mountain back ^ pyramid and then nuked himself.

Atmospheric reaction encoding of voice and image of the human males who invented science. So owned a male voice dictating his scientific wisdom back to the male life sacrificed by the stone fusion change.

Why meteors came to Earth in that event/occurrence. Due to having removed cold Earth spirit angel/gas protection. The statements of what science causes, as a known male caused origin of science event.

The use of old male human scientific detail symbolism was stopped being practiced in later day sciences...for that very reason.

14. Skwim

Skwim Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +11,674
    Religion:
    Atheist
    Just what is your definition of "loving" anyway?

Would some 13th century king of yore who saw to it that "infants were dashed to pieces," and that all boys, and women who have slept with a man be killed. And that captured virgin girls be kept for their captor's pleasure, merit the label "loving"?

#14 Skwim, Mar 26, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  15. danieldemol

danieldemol Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,028
    Religion:
    Baha'i inspired liberal
    Nope

16. 12_13

12_13 Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Religion:
    what

17. 12_13

12_13 Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Religion:
    How can a god love people when they murder people

18. 12_13

12_13 Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Religion:
    how so

19. 12_13

12_13 Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Religion:
    god cant change

20. Trailblazer

Ratings:
    +2,831
    Religion:
    Baha'i
    It was written by men. Even if it was inspired by God, that does not mean that God said or did any of those things.

God might have been involved, but there is no way we can know that.