• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A "Loving" God

12_13

It was written by men. Even if it was inspired by God, that does not mean that God said or did any of those things.

God might have been involved, but there is no way we can know that.
God told them to kill all of those people, that IS HIM, he wants murder, he murdered people he CREATED

Skwim

Veteran Member
How can a god love people when they murder people
You think the infants, boys, and women who have slept with a man are all murderers? Get real. Besides,

"God Loves Sinners [which would include murderers]
A remarkable, but true fact is -- God loves sinners. He loves you, too, no matter what you have done!

ROMANS 5:6-8 NKJ
6 For when we were still without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly.
7 For scarcely for a righteous man will one die; yet perhaps for a good man someone would even dare to die.
8 But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us."
source

MNoBody

aren't those passages referring to the war-god Yaldaboath, the demiurgus as the gnostics so repeatedly pointed out?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
God told them to kill all of those people, that IS HIM, he wants murder, he murdered people he CREATED
Sorry, I got you mixed up with another poster here who goes by 1213 and he is a Christian.
Now I see you are an atheist.
I have no reason to believe that God said or did anything recorded in the OT because I am not a Christian.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
How can a god love people when they murder people
God might still love them, but that does not mean that God approves of their behavior or considers them equal to good people.

“Let no one imagine that by Our assertion that all created things are the signs of the revelation of God is meant that—God forbid—all men, be they good or evil, pious or infidel, are equal in the sight of God.” Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 187

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Who can accuse God of murder? Ultimately God is responsible for all the deaths of everyone. Because nothing can happen without His allowance.

God gives everyone a soul and takes it back at His own discretion. The whole world is under the sentence of death. It's just a matter of time. You must learn to accept it. Then figure out and do what you need to do. Because it is futile to try to change what cannot be changed. So make the best of your situation and don't be turned aside by futile thinking.

As God wounds, He promises He can also bind up the wound. And if you consider death a wound; then you may understand He can heal you of even that.
I liked your post because I know it is true, but I do not like God.
It is what it is.

I would never blame an atheist for not believing in God.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
This surprises me. I thought that Baha'i accepted the prophets of the Tanakh
Below are some quotes that represent official positions of the Baha'i Faith regarding the Bible. There are more quotes on the link below, but I omitted the quotes that refer to the NT since I know you are not concerned with it.

From the Writings of 'Abdu'l-Bahá

Know ye that the Torah is that which was revealed in the Tablets to Moses, may peace be upon Him, or that to which He was bidden. But the stories are historical narratives and were written after Moses, may peace be upon Him.
(From a previously untranslated Tablet)

Know ye that the Torah is that which was revealed in the Tablets unto Moses, may peace be upon Him, and in that which He was commanded to do.... The glorious Book, the Mighty Decree, is what was in the Tablets which Moses, upon Him be peace, brought from Mount Sinai, and that which He proclaimed unto the Children of Israel, in accordance with the explicit text of those Tablets.
(From a previously untranslated Tablet)

From Letters Written on Behalf of the Guardian:

...The Bible is not wholly authentic, and in this respect is not to be compared with the Qur'an, and should be wholly subordinated to the authentic writings of Bahá'u'lláh
. (28 July 1936 to a National Spiritual Assembly)

When 'Abdu'l-Bahá states we believe what is in the Bible, He means in substance. Not that we believe every word of it to be taken literally or that every word is the authentic saying of the Prophet.
(11 February 1944 to an individual believer)

We cannot be sure of the authenticity of any of the phrases in the Old or the New Testament. What we can be sure of is when such references or words are cited or quoted in either the Quran or the Bahá'í writings.
(4 July 1947 to an individual believer)

We have no way of substantiating the stories of the Old Testament other than references to them in our own teachings, so we cannot say exactly what happened at the battle of Jericho.
(25 November 1950 to an individual believer)

From letters written on behalf of the Universal House of Justice:

In studying the Bible Bahá'ís must bear two principles in mind. The first is that many passages in Sacred Scriptures are intended to be taken metaphorically, not literally, and some of the paradoxes and apparent contradictions which appear are intended to indicate this. The second is the fact that the text of the early Scriptures, such as the Bible, is not wholly authentic.
(28 May 1984 to an individual believer)

The Bahá'ís believe what is in the Bible to be true in substance. This does not mean that every word recorded in that Book is to be taken literally and treated as the authentic saying of a Prophet.....

...The Bahá'ís believe that God's Revelation is under His care and protection and that the essence, or essential elements, of what His Manifestations intended to convey has been recorded and preserved in Their Holy Books. However, as the sayings of the ancient Prophets were written down some time later, we cannot categorically state, as we do in the case of the Writings of Bahá'u'lláh, that the words and phrases attributed to Them are Their exact words
(9 August 1984 to an individual believer)

The Bible: Extracts on the Old and New Testaments

Mírza Abú'l-Fadl was praised and recommended by 'Abdu'l-Bahá and has been justifiably called the most learned and erudite Bahá'í scholar16.

Regarding the Old Testament, Fadl said that it contained two types of teaching: a) revelation from God, such as the 10 commandments of Moses, the Psalms of David and the books of the Prophets, and b) historical information, such as the books Joshua, Samuel, Kings and Chronicles "...which contain no statement, sign or hint of being divine speech and therefore should not be considered as revelation."[17]

A Baháí View of the Bible

Last edited:

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Regarding the Old Testament, Fadl said that it contained two types of teaching: a) revelation from God, such as the 10 commandments of Moses, the Psalms of David and the books of the Prophets, and b) historical information, such as the books Joshua, Samuel, Kings and Chronicles "...which contain no statement, sign or hint of being divine speech and therefore should not be considered as revelation."[17]

A Baháí View of the Bible
Your quote says that Baha'i accepts the books of the Prophets, yet it was the prophet Isaiah that you responded to when you stated that not everything in the Tanakh was God speaking.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
But a short cut to it all is just this simple phrase. Have faith in God.
My husband and I have these late night talks all the time and he would agree with you. It goes without saying he has more faith in God than I do. I have a strong belief but not as strong of a faith.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
So, if we trust God is good and knows what's best; then we won't need every answer to go on loving God ... Even though sometimes we may have doubted or been angry at God. (Which, honestly who hasn't?)
My husband. ;)
He really gets after me when I am angry at God so thanks for being understanding about that. :)

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Sorry, I am not following you. :confused:
Hopefully this will help:

A "Loving" God
Isaiah 13

Their infants will be dashed to pieces before their eyes; their houses will be looted and their wives ravished.
THIS QUOTE IS FROM THE PROPHET ISAIAH

A "Loving" God
I do not believe that the OT was God speaking. Rather, it was men who wrote about God.
THIS STATES THAT YOU DON'T BELIEVE THAT GOD WAS SPEAKING THROUGH THE PROPHET ISAIAH

A "Loving" God
Regarding the Old Testament, Fadl said that it contained two types of teaching: a) revelation from God, such as the 10 commandments of Moses, the Psalms of David and the books of the Prophets, and b) historical information, such as the books Joshua, Samuel, Kings and Chronicles "...which contain no statement, sign or hint of being divine speech and therefore should not be considered as revelation."
THIS QUOTE VERIFIES THAT BAHA'I ACCEPTS THE PROPHETS AS A REVELATION FROM GOD, CONTRADICTING WHAT YOU SAID ABOVE.