• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A funny thing happened on the way to the Chinese grocery.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Not exactly the same but at least similar is this: I spend quite a bit of time on Indian reservations up here in the U.P. because of my previous work as an anthropologist with the people I came to know, and at one of the towns here an Ojibwe band wanted to use the high school after school hours for drumming, which is involved in basically a type of "religious ceremony" of sorts (generally speaking, most Amerindian tribes and bands traditionally don't separate "church and state" like most Americans tend to).

The administration of the school district refused them, but a lawyer for the band pointed out that there were other groups that used the building after hours, including a Christian one. The administration still refused to allow them-- until the Ojibwe threatened a law suit. Then the administration suddenly got "religion".

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I lived in many-cultural New York City for most of my life. The only ones who ever wanted to convert me religion-wise were Christians (including fake J4Js) and Hare Krishnas. And the Krishnas were the least objectionable in manners.

That's been my experience as well. Several times I ate with a Krishna congregation, and they were very friendly and didn't make any kind of "sell" at all. Of course, if one wanted to make a donation, ...

Alceste

Vagabond
I went to a Chinese grocery. They assumed I wanted Ramen noodles.

Lol. Whenever my husband shops in there they congratulate him on his choices. Like "ooooh! You eating good food!" because he gets Chinese veggies instead of ramen.

bluegoo300

The facts machine
its ok one time i was walking around a park and saw a man playing a guitar, he had a hat on the ground and for some reason i did not notices the kids in front of him so i went over there and stood right in front of him for like 2 minutes until he finished the song. Then i reached into my wallet and pulled out a five and handed it to him he laughed and told me to keep it because he was doing a birthday show and there were like 20 kids behind him all looking at me. lol

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Lol. Whenever my husband shops in there they congratulate him on his choices. Like "ooooh! You eating good food!" because he gets Chinese veggies instead of ramen.

Ramen is great. Unless someone is a really good cook, I'd most likely prefer ramen as a dish.

Alceste

Vagabond
Ramen is great. Unless someone is a really good cook, I'd most likely prefer ramen as a dish.

Sure, but Asians generally see the noodles as a filling base for putting lots of delicious meat and veggies into. Not so much as a meal on its own.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Sure, but Asians generally see the noodles as a filling base for putting lots of delicious meat and veggies into. Not so much as a meal on its own.

Hmm yes, the other side of the coin, purchasing large quantities of Ramen noodles and nothing else. Still o.k. in my book.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
This reminds me of a philosophy class I took. The professor was going over Hinduism and Buddhism and I kept one-upping him about things until he just finally stopped and asked "Are you a Buddhist" and I said "No" then he replied "So you are a Hindu" and I said "I am just a fan".

The bigger irony is that the vast majority of the class was Korean and Chinese and every single one of them was Christian or Atheist and had no knowledge of Chinese or Indian religious philosophies.

Koreans especially since Koreans have this notion that they must imitate Americans somehow because of North Korea's political climate

Wirey

Fartist
I live in a neighbourhood that is mostly populated by Asian people, so most of the shops are Chinese.

So I'm off to pick up some veggies for tonight's dinner when I pass a group of four or five people murdering an acoustic guitar and having some kind of off-pitch singalong, which was unintelligible to me on account of it being entirely in Chinese.

Nevertheless, I start fumbling in my pockets for change, since I am the sort who always tries to throw buskers a bone. They're not buskers though, I soon realize. As I pass them by, smiling and nodding and pretending to appreciate the godawful racket they're making (everyone needs such musical encouragement), a little Chinese dude emerges smiling from the crowd with a fistful of pamphlets.

"Are you a Christian?" he asks, in hopeful, heavily accented English.

"No, you won't believe this, but I'm actually a Taoist. lol."

I don't think he appreciated the irony, though. It's possible he didn't understand what I said at all. He just said "Give it a try!" and poked a leaflet into my hand.

tl;dr: I think I've just joined the BC Mutual Cultural Appropriation Society.

I saw those guys! I read the pamphlet, but then a half hour later I had to reead it again.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Yikes. I can't stand modernist churches and modern service music. They're usually ugly and the music is equally as ugly as the building.

Before we became Catholic, my mom and I went to a few churches that had a band. I always left with a headache because of the banging drums. It was horrible.
Off topic but they are part of tightening control over congregations. Ministers do this all the time. They take away hymns saying that the new music is a move of the holy spirit and anyone who objects is spiritually cold. So people who like hymns are publicly shamed. Everyone has to learn to clap, raise their hands and chant the same words over repeatedly. Some people leave but those who stay are more responsive to control. Sorry if I keep bringing this up, but damn.