• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

a few questions about an alter....

Mike182

Flaming Queer
im setting up my alter, and i have most of the stuff i need

i have come across the phrase "illuminator candles" - one for the god and one for the goddess - what type of candles do these need to be, can they just be white candles? do they need to be blessed, or are they just symbolic?

Mike182

Flaming Queer
anyone? hello..........

i could do with knowing tonight so i can prepare them for my full moon rite :(

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Ooops, sorry! I've been away and didn't see this until just now! :(

You can bless the candles, if you like. During the full moon, I like to work with the maiden energies. One of my favories dieties at this time (and at all times) is Artemis. You can also consecrate them to whomever you feel called to, though. At the full moon, especially, I think white candles are perfectly fine. If Spirit calls for you to use other colors, though, do that, too!

Quite honestly, there's nothing you have to do, nor is anything needed. Most of my rites just involve me outside, dancing by moonlight. (Going skyclad, while much-celebrated, is frowned upon in urban areas and not very fun when it's cold out, or you're surrounded by prickly bushes, though.) The interplay between you and Diety are all the crucial elements you need. Some people find that arranging their altar in a certain way helps them to focus their energies on a particular meditation or goal.

Do you have one of those in mind? We may be able to better suggest some specifics for you, if you do.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
my dedication is to Hekat!

because i have only just set up my alter, i am going to perform an alter cleansing, and then perform an offering to Hekat

ive got everything i need for now, i just wonderd if i needed to do anything with the two candels that represent the god and goddess before i use them

thanks
mike

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
I don't have an alter . Nor do I do Ritual much . So I didn't want to be the first to reply . But I think that Feathers said it very well . The Alter is a reflection of the relationship between you and your God , so it only needs what you feel it needs . If you feel that it should be changed later , then by all means , change it . :)

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
I don't know, I have gone from trying to be a 'regular' Christian (who didn't go to Church much), who wasn't particularly enamoured by the ritualistic approach of Church services, to a Christian/Pagan who seems to go 'my own way' with every aspect. It feels right though.:)

If we could add a pic to our post, I would put a pic of my family alter here. I have ONE candle for both the gods and goddesses on it. However, when I hold Ritual for our local pagan/heathen group, sometimes I use two candles. I use whatever color candle I happen to have, but that's just me. However, I do use more "color-coded" ones for the 4 quarters....white/east.....red/south.....blue/west.....green or brown/north. My sons also have their own alter in their room with special items on it that relates to them and the gods and goddesses. I also have my own private alter in my room. But, I have had other pagans who were over visiting mention that it looked like almost EVERY surface in my apt was an alter! LOL Go figure! LOLOL

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Actually, we can add pics to our posts! I was actually going to suggest that we create a section where we discuss and 'show off' our altars. (Do you want me to PM you with how to post a pic?) Does that sound appealing to anyone?