• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

a couple of points about the ten commandments

cambridge79

If i can show my point i would be highly interested in what you have to say about this.
The ten commandments: we all probably know what i'm talking about so i'll try to keep it short.

Exodus in a nutshell: "Jews live a life of slavery under the egypitans. God help Moses to free his people and lead them away from egypt and into the promise land. At the end Moses goes up the mountain and God talks to him and gives him the laws for his tribe to follow, and here they come the 10 commandments we all know"

but it's not that simple and i've a couple of arguments on the subject:

ARGUMENT N°1: if you actually keep on reading Exodus after Exodus 20,17 you see that God keeps on talking to Moses and keeps on giving him many more laws beside the 10 commandments.
Laws that we're actually totally oblivious of. Laws that show how to deal with your slaves, even how to beat him ( you can beat him, but don't go too hard and you'll please the lord ) and all sort of other things. Later you read Moses comes down the mountain with two tablet chiseled on both sides, nobody would need all that space if only to write down the 10 commandments. So first thing first one should ask himself why we nowday only refer and only know the 10 commandments and completely ignore all the rest? Shouldn't we ignore them too at this point, or if we give value to them shouldn't we adopt all the other laws from Exodus 20,17 to Exodus 23,19?
Apparently they only come first but i don't read anywhere that they're more important. All the other laws come from the very voice of God too so they should have the same values of the 10 commandments cause we can't decide what to listen and what to ignore of what directly tells us.

ARGUMENT N°2: in the end the laws God gives to Moses are nothing special at all. I mean, this is supposed to be God talking to mankind and giving them the best morality his infinite wisdom can come up for them, right?
Well, i've always read that Exodus episode as describe in the bible can be dated around the 13th century bce. Oldest dating i've found set it at 15th century bce.
Hammurabi code is dated 1754 bce, so in any case is older. And when i say older i mean it's from 2 to 5 centuries older. 5 centuries is like Columbus compared to us.
The Hammurabi code has more or less already all the commandments in itself, so basically God felt the need to open the sky in order to give Moses a copycat of something that the pagan babylonian people where already able to develop by themselves centuries earlier. Babylonian people that were their neighbours and that they must have been aware of, by the way, so why not just ask? That feels honestly stupid, i mean it either shows that god is lazy or that man don't need God to develop by themselves good laws since those laws were already there.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I don't think all that ancient Jewish writing should be considered all that important in the modern world. We determine our laws and morality by reason. As you point out times were quite different back them and I don't see why we should get hung up on those dry scripture passages. (And I'm not an atheist either).

Unification

If i can show my point i would be highly interested in what you have to say about this.
The ten commandments: we all probably know what i'm talking about so i'll try to keep it short.

Exodus in a nutshell: "Jews live a life of slavery under the egypitans. God help Moses to free his people and lead them away from egypt and into the promise land. At the end Moses goes up the mountain and God talks to him and gives him the laws for his tribe to follow, and here they come the 10 commandments we all know"

ARGUMENT N°1: if you actually keep on reading Exodus after Exodus 20,17 you see that God keeps on talking to Moses and keeps on giving him many more laws beside the 10 commandments.
Laws that we're actually totally oblivious of. Laws that show how to deal with your slaves, even how to beat him ( you can beat him, but don't go too hard and you'll please the lord ) and all sort of other things. Later you read Moses comes down the mountain with two tablet chiseled on both sides, nobody would need all that space if only to write down the 10 commandments. So first thing first one should ask himself why we nowday only refer and only know the 10 commandments and completely ignore all the rest? Shouldn't we ignore them too at this point, or if we give value to them shouldn't we adopt all the other laws from Exodus 20,17 to Exodus 23,19?
Apparently they only come first but i don't read anywhere that they're more important. All the other laws come from the very voice of God too so they should have the same values of the 10 commandments cause we can't decide what to listen and what to ignore of what directly tells us.

ARGUMENT N°2: in the end the laws God gives to Moses are nothing special at all. I mean, this is supposed to be God talking to mankind and giving them the best morality his infinite wisdom can come up for them, right?
Well, i've always read that Exodus episode as describe in the bible can be dated around the 13th century bce. Oldest dating i've found set it at 15th century bce.
Hammurabi code is dated 1754 bce, so in any case is older. And when i say older i mean it's from 2 to 5 centuries older. 5 centuries is like Columbus compared to us.
The Hammurabi code has more or less already all the commandments in itself, so basically God felt the need to open the sky in order to give Moses a copycat of something that the pagan babylonian people where already able to develop by themselves centuries earlier. Babylonian people that were their neighbours and that they must have been aware of, by the way, so why not just ask? That feels honestly stupid, i mean it either shows that god is lazy or that man don't need God to develop by themselves good laws since those laws were already there.

Egypt was referred to as the land of Khem. Khemicals. Meaning: Black Earth(corrupted brain/mind)

Mental slavery to something and the going out or escape from slavery. Mental slavery is imbalanced chemical bonding.

How to beat a slave is how to overcome and conquer something the mind is enslaved to.

If someone were enslaved to taking these ancient stories historically or literally, to go out from that and be liberated would be to murder and destroy those abstract beliefs. But there is a problem, the human's Ego/Pharoah has a hard time letting go. (Ask the devout fundamentalists) All of the firstborn thoughts of these stories being literal and historical in someone's mind must be destroyed. The seeds need uprooted.

The positive thoughts, higher thoughts, clear reasoning (the Israelities) are held captive in ones mind due to the mind being polluted.

If the Pharoah/Ego ever lets go, those thoughts will be destroyed and the "Israelites" will be liberated. The mind is opened and from the brain an energy is released throughout the brain, down the spinal cord and back up. Neurological plasticity. The two tablets of stone(the west and east sphere of the human brain) receive the new path of peace, purity, wisdom, knowledge, understanding, and truth. Those laws are naturally written on the brain and heart which is whole as a child until the environment corrupts them. They then have their own laws and ways.

But there is a whole plethora of sacrifices and beasts an animal mind must die to and overcome.

Last edited:

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
There are 613 commandments that apply to the Jewish people. What other religions choose to follow is up to them.

Why would you assume that?

cambridge79

There are 613 commandments that apply to the Jewish people. What other religions choose to follow is up to them.
just curious since you're jewish ( at least i read that under your name ) do jewish people claim the godgiven right to own slaves? Do they think they're entitled to have slaves but they chose not to?

Why would you assume that?
how do you see that?

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
just curious since you're jewish ( at least i read that under your name ) do jewish people claim the godgiven right to own slaves? Do they think they're entitled to have slaves but they chose not to?
No.

how do you see that?
See what?
You made an assumption, and I asked why you thought it.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member

Believe t or not, upon reading the OP the phrase "honestly stupid" came to my mind as well.