• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Bible Study - Catholic, Orthodox, and Protestant Christians Only

Bishka

Veteran Member
Okay, I give you an inch and you want a mile...lol. I haven't offered you my hand of fellowship. Rather, I have offered you my hand of friendship. I will PM Paul if you are open to study the book of Romans together under the authority and leadership of Paul (not the Apostle Paul). What is your answer?

I am afraid I would have to decline unless there was a male Latter-day Saint in the equation.

Sonic247

Romans 6:20- For when ye were the servants of sin, ye were free from righteousness. What fruit had ye then in those things whereof ye are now ashamed? for the end of those things [is] death.But now being made free from sin, and become servants to God, ye have your fruit unto holiness, and the end everlasting life.

I think these verses are good when looking back on my life before Christ- I suppose some people think they would be missing out on something by believing in Christ. But looking back I realize the things I used to do are not worth missing, and that they actually cause death.

*Paul*

Jesus loves you
Romans 6:20- For when ye were the servants of sin, ye were free from righteousness. What fruit had ye then in those things whereof ye are now ashamed? for the end of those things [is] death.But now being made free from sin, and become servants to God, ye have your fruit unto holiness, and the end everlasting life.

I think these verses are good when looking back on my life before Christ- I suppose some people think they would be missing out on something by believing in Christ. But looking back I realize the things I used to do are not worth missing, and that they actually cause death.
I agree Sonic, this verse is clearly demonstrating the change in heart of one who has been born again, his affections have been changed, like as Paul says elsewhere:
2nd Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
You were once one creature who was a servant to sin, you are now (that you are in Christ) a new creature who is a servant of God.
I think this shows that if you are (Spiritually speaking) today what you have always been then you are not in Christ Jesus for the person in Christ Jesus is now free from the bondage of sin and is a new creature.
I like this parrallel, free from righteousness to free from sin, that is (imo) free from sins dominion over us, we must still mortify the flesh and walk in the Spirit, choosing those things that please God, but before we were new creatures in Christ we lacked the power or the desire to do this, being unregenerate. But now that we have recieved Him we have received power to overcome sin in our lives.
St. John 1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:

may

Victor and I were chatting recently, and we decided that we should start a Bible study thread. Amidst all the heated debate and discussion, I've been searching for some serious Biblical studying, without a bunch of vitriole and sarcasm (of which I am guilty of as well). If you are a Catholic, Orthodox, or Protestant Christian, we would love to have a Bible study on this thread with you. If you're not, it's nothing personal, but we would prefer if you stayed out of commenting here.
Of course, in our infinite wisdom, Vic and I couldn't for the life of us decide what specific topic or Biblical passage we want to study, lol. So if you have ideas, please throw them out and we'll get going. I know this seems a bit open-ended, but that's just because I want it to be more of a group study rather than a sermon that Vic or I dole out from a soap box. Hope to hear from you guys soon.

Your Brother In Christ,
FerventGodSeeker
so are you looking to know what the bible really teaches ,or are you after knowing church traditions and doctrines , because to dismiss those christians who are not part of the mainstream could mean that you are really missing the bible truth , and then you would not be getting what the bible really teaches, after all it is a bible study that you are mentioning , so before i get kicked out of here, how about starting with Daniel 2;44 because that is the whole theme of the bible from Genesis to revelation .

athanasius

so are you looking to know what the bible really teaches ,or are you after knowing church traditions and doctrines , because to dismiss those christians who are not part of the mainstream could mean that you are really missing the bible truth , and then you would not be getting what the bible really teaches, after all it is a bible study that you are mentioning , so before i get kicked out of here, how about starting with Daniel 2;44 because that is the whole theme of the bible from Genesis to revelation .

Waite a minute May! Your a JW. Jw's are not protestant or Catholic or Orthodox. So why are you posting on here in the first place???

*Paul*

Jesus loves you
OK lets start with the beginning: verses 1-4. What does this mean to you and who do you think Theophilus was?

I think Luke is saying that he like a few others before him had decided to set forth in order (written) the things that had been passed on from the eye witnesses and first pastors (ministers of the word) of the life and works of Jesus Christ.

It seems as though he intended to write what other accounts may have missed (it seemed good to me ... having had perfect understanding of all things from the very first) and give a full account.

I think Theophilus is some kind of nobleman gentile convert, he calls him excellent which I think Paul calls Agrippa something similar.

His purpose in doing this is to give Theophilus some assurance (certainty) of the things he has been taught verbally and maybe help him fill in any gaps he has.

athanasius

I think Luke is saying that he like a few others before him had decided to set forth in order (written) the things that had been passed on from the eye witnesses and first pastors (ministers of the word) of the life and works of Jesus Christ.

It seems as though he intended to write what other accounts may have missed (it seemed good to me ... having had perfect understanding of all things from the very first) and give a full account.

I think Theophilus is some kind of nobleman gentile convert, he calls him excellent which I think Paul calls Agrippa something similar.

His purpose in doing this is to give Theophilus some assurance (certainty) of the things he has been taught verbally and maybe help him fill in any gaps he has.

Very good. I agree with you. I will also add a little. In these beginning chapters we see that Dr St. Luke has been taking the teachings delivered to him by Oral aposotlic tradition(verse 2 and verse 4 inthe Greek alludes to this) and putting them in writing in his Gospel/Acts summery of Jesus and the Church. Theophilus was certainly a man and some scholars have suggested that he may have been a distinguished figure of the roman government. Either which way this verse is also "polyvalent". That means it has another level of meaning to it. Theolphilus is a real man, but his name also means "Friend of God". This passage like all passages in the bible not only talk to him but to all of us(friends of God). Thus Luke intended to be writing not just for Theolphius alone but for all friends of God.:)

At least that my take.

*Paul*

Jesus loves you
Very good. I agree with you. I will also add a little. In these beginning chapters we see that Dr St. Luke has been taking the teachings delivered to him by Oral aposotlic tradition(verse 2 and verse 4 inthe Greek alludes to this) and putting them in writing in his Gospel/Acts summery of Jesus and the Church. Theophilus was certainly a man and some scholars have suggested that he may have been a distinguished figure of the roman government. Either which way this verse is also "polyvalent". That means it has another level of meaning to it. Theolphilus is a real man, but his name also means "Friend of God". This passage like all passages in the bible not only talk to him but to all of us(friends of God). Thus Luke intended to be writing not just for Theolphius alone but for all friends of God.:)

At least that my take.

I'm sure the tradition is necessarily apostolic because as you read on we have the conversations Jesus has with His Apostles which only they were privy to.

Looks like we agree so far - phew.

I'm off to bed now as I have to suffer work tomorrow but I look forward to continuing this.

Next section...verses 5-25...the visitation of Gabriel to Zacharias and announcement of John the Baptist's birth...jump in with comments in you have 'em!:yes:

This should be good... :popcorn:

*Paul*

Jesus loves you
. Either which way this verse is also "polyvalent". That means it has another level of meaning to it. Theolphilus is a real man, but his name also means "Friend of God". This passage like all passages in the bible not only talk to him but to all of us(friends of God). Thus Luke intended to be writing not just for Theolphius alone but for all friends of God.:)

At least that my take.
I like that Athanasius, I am a great believer in these small details, the bible is absolutely full of things below the surface like this (like the names of prophets) which are another reason to see the Spirit all through it.

I just wanted to parralel two verses - I had never paid attention to this one in Luke before but I love it now:
Luke 1:4 That thou mightest know the certainty of those things, wherein thou hast been instructed.
2nd Peter 1:16 For we have not followed cunningly devised fables, when we made known unto you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but were eyewitnesses of his majesty.
Oh glorious certainty, what proofs visible and invisible our Father gives to us that we might know the certainty of the gospel.

I am working on the next post now Luke 5-25.