• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Bible Study - Catholic, Orthodox, and Protestant Christians Only

athanasius

Luke 2:35: from robertsons word pictures
A sword (ρομφαια). A large sword, properly a long Thracian javelin. It occurs in the LXX of Goliath's sword (1Sa 17:51). How little Mary understood the meaning of Simeon's words that seemed so out of place in the midst of the glorious things already spoken, a sharp thorn in their roses, a veritable bitter-sweet. But one day Mary will stand by the Cross of Christ with this Thracian javelin clean through her soul, σταβατΜατερΔολοροσα (Joh 19:25). It is only a parenthesis here, and a passing cloud perhaps passed over Mary's heart already puzzled with rapture and ecstasy.
May be revealed (
αποκαλυφθωσιν). Unveiled. First aorist passive subjunctive after οπωςαν and expresses God's purpose in the mission of the Messiah. He is to test men's thoughts (διαλογισμο) and purposes. They will be compelled to take a stand for Christ or against him. That is true today.

:eek: It seems I wasn't noticing that the comment about the piercing of Marys soul was in a parenthesis :eek: , so the comment about the revealing of peoples thoughts goes back immediatly before the parenthesis.

Yes I can see your good point. Excellent point! I may have been in error in interpreting parts of my Catholic study bibles notes. The more I read what the Catholic scholars are saying, the more they come closer to what your saying. Cool! Alough we still see is passage as relating Mary to Jesus suffering and the Daughter of Zion parrelled by (Ezek 14:17).

slabbey06

Bond-Servant of Christ
Paul and Athanasius. I just wanted to say that I really enjoy reading your discussions. They are encouraging and thought provoking. :)

athanasius

Paul and Athanasius. I just wanted to say that I really enjoy reading your discussions. They are encouraging and thought provoking. :)

Thank you and God bless you. Paul and I are both friends and both of us devout followers of Christ. We come at this from two different perspectives, Paul from the Baptist perspective and Me from the Roman Catholic perspective. I have enjoyed discussing scripture and doctrine with Paul, he is a great brother in Christ to have. we may disagree on certain things biblical and doctrinal, but that doesn't mean we have to be disagreeable to each other. I think we both learn alot, and I am glad that we also help others learn too. The Lord works in mysterious ways. Pray for us.

God bless you always,

In Jesus through Mary Immaculate,
Athanasius