• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

70,000 Year Old Religion

ayani

cool! it always amazes and delights me just how far back in reach and how impressive early humans' achievements and creativity were. very cool, and beautiful.

A

angellous_evangellous

The claim is interesting, but I don't think that they've argued their case very well.

I'd like to see the evidence further reviewed by the archeologists that are conducting the excavation and the reviews of their peers. This is not even a preliminary report, and most likely, the interpretation of the evidence is going to change...

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
ritualistic behavior (religion) likely predates humanity. (at least H.sapien)
Neandertals show evidence of ritual behavior, in burials for one example.
Likely this was something that came from our common ancestor.

wa:do

ps. saying that they worshiped the snake stone is a bit much... the scientists say nothing of the sort, they simply say that it was the focus of some sort of ritualized behavior. You can't tell they worshiped the snake, the ceremonies involved didn't need to have anything to do with worhiping... it could have been 'symapthetic magic'. Or a host of other things... what is clear is that anchient people felt this place had a strong significance and ritual use.