• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

5 controversial reactions to Hurricane Irene

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
No, but I do think that anyone who believes that a hurricane that kills 42 people (so far) and causes 10 Billion dollars in damages is a "blessing," is a fruitcake. Particularly seeing as he believes god caused it to remind people he was in charge. Is this the kind of demented god you worship: one who would kill innocent people, disrupt the lives of others, and cause billions in damage just to remind people that he's in charge? In any case it's Beck's god.
"How many warnings do you think you're going to get, and how many warnings do you deserve? ... If you've waited [to prepare and stockpile food], this hurricane is a blessing. It is a blessing. It is God reminding you — as was the earthquake last week — it's God reminding you you're not in control. Things can happen."

And, considering such a daft idea comes from someone who has the ear of thousands (millions?) of listeners I think it qualifies as a controversial remark.
By your reasoning, it would seem that all believers in an interventionist god are "daft". A majority of our population is clinically crazy, eh?
If I presume that there is a god who takes an active role in our lives, then sending us a hurricane which portended far more damage than it
delivered could be reasonably seen as a wake up call. We have been lax at preparing for such things, since past events are quickly forgotten.
As we all know, history teaches us that history teaches us nothing. Your post strikes me as being more hostile to Beck than is warranted.
You don't even have a hostile looking avatar! You look rather noble.

Last edited:

Skwim

Veteran Member
By your reasoning, it would seem that all believers in an interventionist god are "daft". A majority of our population is clinically crazy, eh?
If I presume that there is a god who takes an active role in our lives, then sending us a hurricane which portended far more damage than it
delivered could be reasonably seen as a wake up call. We have been lax at preparing for such things, since past events are quickly forgotten.
As we all know, history teaches us that history teaches us nothing. Your post strikes me as being more hostile to Beck than is warranted.
You don't even have a hostile looking avatar! You look rather noble.
I'm not biting. I have a house to paint.
th_wave.gif

Acim

Revelation all the time
Beck, Paul and Cantor comments aren't that controversial to me. I can understand why others think so, but I wonder how many of those are persons who lean to the right, and how many lean to the left. My point being, if you lean to the left, I ain't surprised if you find them controversial.

Bachmann one is borderline controversial. She said it in jest, but some jokes aren't hilarious funny given the context in which they are made. Even as non-joke, it isn't that controversial to me. The reason it is, is because she is making it political as if one side (let's call them Dems) is not listening to the 'gods' (or God) who is banging on the door, asking America to rethink its values (and become more Conservative like).

Limbaugh's are controversial and whatever is lacking in gusto from Bachmann's commentary, Rush made up for that in spades. Unless you are die-hard Rush fan, you're going to see the comment for what it is, way over the top and not constructive. At same time, I recall many times during 2002 and 2007 saying to Dems that their over the top rhetoric about Bush will come back and bite them some day. As it is pretty much announcing it is open season on POTUS doing his job. Yet, Dems I know want to continue to paint picture that their rhetoric doesn't come close to what Limbaugh's is saying. I'm telling you it did and still does. Become independent for a little while and you'll see this. Clearly.