• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

4 Questions

fiyamonkey

Good evening all.

Some of you may remember me. Last fall I posted some questions for a paper I had to write for class. Well, I'm back! Just four questions on the subject of "sin." Any and all responses welcome. I love to hear your opinions, and see what you have to say. So comment freely, and let me know what you think.

• Do you believe that mankind is ultimately good or bad?
  • Who or what do you think should determine what is good and what is evil?
  • Do you believe that people sin? If so, can you roughly define sin?
  • If a person is a "sinner" or sins on a regular basis, what should he or she do about their sin?
Thank you so much for your help with this assignment, and for your input.
Sarah

gnomon

Do you believe that mankind is ultimately good or bad? Nope.Who or what do you think should determine what is good and what is evil? No one.
Do you believe that people sin? If so, can you roughly define sin? Nope. No can do.
If a person is a "sinner" or sins on a regular basis, what should he or she do about their sin? Nothing.

Hope that helps!

Kidding.

Actually I believe that there is no objective measure with which to measure the morality of mankind. The whole concept of good and evil is culturally relative. Since good and evil are subjective then there cannot be an "ultimate" measure.

As far as good and bad in the sense of what determines proper actions an individual may take it is up to society to determine how specific actions are classified. I much prefer the system here in the states with a basic foundation of rights and all those actions not explicity (or implicitly) derived from that foundation to be determined by society through proper legislation (or lack thereof).

I don't believe in sin because I'm an athiest. Therefore I'm using the transgression against divine law as the definition of what constitutes sin. Honestly, I don't think any other definition applies. One cannot sin against other humans. We call those crimes. They are two different concepts, one of which is not really relevant to this subject.

An example of my above statements follows:
A person straps a bomb to an occupied baby carriage and detonates it. Is it evil? No. Is it a sin? No. Is it a crime as determined by our society and subject to severe punishment? Yes.

I think that the calls to recognize something as good, evil or sinful are emotional triggers often used to incite people for the wrong reasons. I can think of other examples where evil is invoked that are nothing like the one already given.

M

Majikthise

fiyamonkey said:
Good evening all.

Some of you may remember me. Last fall I posted some questions for a paper I had to write for class. Well, I'm back! Just four questions on the subject of "sin." Any and all responses welcome. I love to hear your opinions, and see what you have to say. So comment freely, and let me know what you think.
  • If a person is a "sinner" or sins on a regular basis, what should he or she do about their sin?
Sarah
Hey Sarah!:D

An atheist view ok?

Mankind is just another organism doing it's best to survive and procreate, nothing good or evil about it. Ultimately though, the survival of the human race is a good thing to me because I am one.

Good or evil is decided by culture or society, the only problem is when a majority of that society believes in fairytales.

The only way to sin is to believe for yourself that you sin. Do people commit crimes that dictate societal control, yes. Sins are taking gods name in vane or eating meat on fridays, silly.

If a persons can't help sinning regularly maybe they should switch religions and start with a fresh slate, and when they run out of religions they can start their own!:D

Hope that helped. Good luck!:)

hero

fiyamonkey said:
Good evening all.

Sarah
-Evil.
-I believe everyone already know the basics naturally, but what is right is love. God is love.
-I know that people sin, sins origins are pride, selfishness.
-Seek Jesus, pray fervantly...who knows PM if you like. Im not the brightest but... I try.:jiggy:

Aqualung

Tasty
fiyamonkey said:
Do you believe that mankind is ultimately good or bad?
I think humans are by nature bad, and that they have to learn to be good.
Who or what do you think should determine what is good and what is evil?
I think God is the only judge of good and evil.
Do you believe that people sin? If so, can you roughly define sin?
Yes, I believe that people sin. I think sin is transgression of the law that God has set forth for our lives.
If a person is a "sinner" or sins on a regular basis, what should he or she do about their sin?
I think if they are a sinner, they need to, after realising their sin, turn away from it, and try to do it no more.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
fiyamonkey said:
1. I believe that mankind is, by nature, sinful. I don't, however, believe that we were born into a state of sin. In other words, we were born pure and clean. By the time we have reached an age where we can distinguish between right and wrong, we will inevitably sin, due to our natural predisposition to do so.

2. That's a more difficult question. As a Christian, I believe that God makes this determination. I do believe, however, that each of us is born with some sort of a conscience and that, even without the moral direction a religion gives, it's not rocket science to know that common decency requires that we treat others they way we would want them to treat us.

3. I believe we all sin. To me, sin is the voluntary transgression of a religious law or moral principle. (Actually, I cheated. This is how my dictionary defines the word. I just happen to agree.)

4. He should recognize that he has committed a sin, feel remorse for his behavior, and make a sincere effort not to repeat it in the future.

Steve

fiyamonkey said:
Bad, we all have a tendency to do wrong. Real Goodness is not subjective eg a rapist might claim that he is good because he hasnt raped anyone in a few weeks but we know that he is not good. But to make this statement we need an objective standard of what is good etc. Otherwise you might say to him thats bad and he says no its good and it just comes down to opioions and whose to say ultimatley whose right unless there is a real right. Hope that makes sense.

fiyamonkey said:
First you need to decide if there is such a thing as good and evil, i believe there is because i believe in God so i believe he sets the rules eg defines whats Good and if you dont do that then its evil.
So to me even being able to assert that there can be a definition of good and evil comes down to weather or not you believe in God or not, because unless there is someone above humans then really there is no answer to that except mere opioion, somone might say that the majority should decide - although even in this instance its just there opioion and also does that justify for example what the Nazi's did when they had the majority backing them?

fiyamonkey said:
Yes i believe they do, whenever they do somthing contrary to Gods law (Jesus said "So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets." Matthew 7:12 )
Whenever someone puts themselves first and in doing so hurts someone else its sin, it comes from our pride and selfcenteredness. We have all sinned, weather it be stolen, lied etc.

fiyamonkey said:
Confess their sin to God, Christ was crucified to pay for their sin, its a free gift but in order to accept it they need to repent (turn away) from their sin and towards God for there salvation.
We will all stand before God the difference is many of us have accepted Gods love and Grace in what he did to reconcile us to a Just God, someone who has truly accepted Christ as their savior has already had their sentence carried out on the cross when christ paid for their sin. Those who reject this gift from God will pay for their sin themselves.

Todd

Rajun Cajun
From my perspective as a Christian:
    Evil. Romans 3:23for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, 24and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus
    God ultimately, but I believe there is something in our programming that tells us what is good and evil from birth. We all have it. Just ask a two year old that knowingly defy's his/her Mom even though he/she knows that what they are doing is wrong.
    Yes, people sin. Anything that is outside of the will of God is sin. You can also refer to the scripture in question one.
    Repent and turn from his/her sin. Sometimes it's hard to do. Although this doesn't determine salvation as far as my beliefs are concern. That would be a different question.
Hope this helps.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
fiyamonkey said:
Good evening all.

Sarah
Howdy.:)

1. I think that mankind is flawed. We're only truly righteous when in Christ.

2. Ultimately, I think Jesus Christ has the final judgement.

3. Yes. I believe people sin. Sin in my opinion, is any transgression against God.

4. Repent and pray for spiritual guidance to change.

Abram

Abraham
fiyamonkey said:
These are deep questions... I love this one, makes my think

The fact that the words good and evil exisist shows that there must be a cause, reason, why there here. I can never think of a time in history when it was good to be selfish, or hurt the ones you love. So there must be a human nature inside us to do something? Which are usualy good or netrual things, thoughts. There is something that pulls you to save the drowning person, to help someone, to be nice. When you do good things you feel up, lighter, warm, good, No excuse, not trying to hide it.

Now when you do bad things and thoughts, you fell it. If someone calls you out on it you think up reason to valedate you breaking something? You try to explain why you did it, said mean things, got angry? I do it all the time.:eek:

standing_on_one_foot

fiyamonkey said:
Neither. Neutral. You can go either way. Good an evil is a human way of looking at things, so you need some human actions before you can judge anything. Your basic human inclinations are just...neutral.

fiyamonkey said:
I suppose it’s something you have to do for yourself, ultimately, although societal guidelines can be very helpful, as long as you actually think about things and don’t just blindly accept stuff.

fiyamonkey said:
Hurting needlessly is always a nice start (towards a definition, I mean, it’s not actually a nice action...yeah). Sin is a bit of a loaded word, innit? But yes, I believe that people can do things that are wrong.
There’s an interesting idea of morality as a sort of accounting system (and it’s a metaphor we do use), where a harmful action creates a moral debt to someone and not paying a moral debt is itself a wrong action. I like that definition. Mind you, there’s never going to be an easy answer. There’s far too many grey areas out there. But you can find good places to start and do your best from there.

fiyamonkey said:
If a person is a "sinner" or sins on a regular basis, what should he or she do about their sin?
Stop it?

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Neutral, I believe that humanity has equil capacity for both.

It seems to me that cultures determine what is good and evil via group concensus. In some cultures Cannabalism was evil, for others it was a vital part of mourning the dead, or a display of power over the enemy. Look at the fight over the Death Penalty and war. Killing within the peer group is a "sin"... but killing outside the peer group is often accepted as "nessisary"... killing a killer is considered "just" (they have chosen to leave the peer group by killing another within the group)

No, my religion doesn't have a 'sin' concept. Certen actions are thought of as "bad" as they harm everyone involved. Greed, decietfullness, violence, and callousness are such things. They are strongly discouraged.

if you act in a way that is detrimental to society then the people come together to determine what should be done. If a person shows no inclination to change thier behavior then they need help or they need to be punnished/made to leave the group.

wa:do

fiyamonkey

Hey Everybody!

Once again, I am overwhelmed with your responses. Thank you so much for everything that you had to say. For anyone just reading this, feel free to keep on posting your responses. I will be in and out to read what you have to say. I am grateful to every one who gave their input, and helped me with this project. This has been great so far.

Also, thank you for your patience with other people, and keeping things civil in here. I do appreciate that very much. There is nothing more wonderful than the freedom we have to come together and express our thoughts, no matter how different they may be.

Thank you, every one.
Happy Posting!
Sarah

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I go along very much with Katzpur .
1. I believe that mankind is, by nature, sinful. I don't, however, believe that we were born into a state of sin. In other words, we were born pure and clean. By the time we have reached an age where we can distinguish between right and wrong, we will inevitably sin, due to our natural predisposition to do so.
However I would change one bit; I would not describe man's nature as sin full.

Because man has freewill,
he has great capacity for good and evil.
But just that like water, man finds it easier to go down hill.
You have to work at being "Good"

I would say we have a tendency to be weak.

Terry____________________
Blessed are the gentle, they shall inherit the land

Atheist_Dave

*Foxy Lady*
Mankind is just another creature created by nature to ensure the passing on of genes, one thing to remember is nature does not care about good and evil, it has no place for it, we created good and evil. A wasp that lays its eggs inside caterpiller grubs to let them eat it from the inside while it is alive, is this evil? or is it just a mechanism to ensure the children get fresh meat? Humanities one flaw is our level of conciousness, we have had the power create good and evil, moral and immoral, they are just words though, nature isn't bothered.

I think we have enough brain power to define morals for ourselves. I have never been taught right from wrong as such, I just know. it is what makes us human. Our moral code comes from the apes, we changed from selfish creatures to creatures that could recognise the benefits of working together.

I think people do bad things, I don't like the word sin though it sounds so religious.

If someone has the capacity to realise it is bad they should stop being bad if possible.

Peace x

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
fiyamonkey said:
  • I think humankind is ultimatley ignorant, but basically good
  • Inner knowing, consiousness
  • no, people just dont listen to their intuition...
  • They should evaluate if there is a rational reason to make the choices they do.

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
As i don't really believe in either soul or free will, there is no good or bad, only movement..

The ones who use the words, in our case, human kind.

Sin is what people gave the meaning:"doing bad stuff". In the morals we created(either in the law or religion) there is bad stuff, so yes, people sin.

Whatever rules they follow. If they are religious they should pray. If they follow certain rules in a country, they should pay or go to jail or whatever is "written" in the rules.

sushannah

1. I believe mankind is inheritly good
2. G-d will be the ultimate judge of us all
3. I believe that man gives in to the evil inclination, this is a choice, man is not evil by nature
4. Man can repent, confess, and make restitution when it is possible. Also man can make a firm resolution never to do whatever it was again. All people have the ability to become righteous.

Flappycat

fiyamonkey said:
Good evening all.

Sarah
No.
Me.
Yes. They don't give me enough money.
Give me more money.