• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2010 Christmas season in London

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
At Nunhead cemetery, not far from where I am:

NunheadcemeteryJanuary2011049.jpg

NunheadcemeteryJanuary2011040.jpg

NunheadcemeteryJanuary2011020.jpg

The headgear is not mine (really!)

NunheadcemeteryJanuary2011052.jpg

NunheadcemeteryJanuary2011011.jpg

NunheadCemetery2011January2041.jpg

NunheadCemetery2011January2048.jpg

NunheadcemeteryJanuary2011026.jpg

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
Thanks dawny!
as big and interesting central London, and London in general is.
I'm discovering some real gems in my neighbourhood as well.

It all looks fairy tale lovely to me and this is probably as close to Europe as I'm ever going to get, so keep the pictures coming! :)

kai

ragamuffin
wow Dan you are i see appreciating the history of this sceptred isle, it will take you years to look round England you dont seem to miss thing.

then when you have had enough you can move on to further afield York,Cornwall, Scotland and i recommend the Castles in Wales they are great. and that hat fits too well to be someone elses:) it suits a desert creature.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
wow Dan you are i see appreciating the history of this sceptred isle, it will take you years to look round England you dont seem to miss thing.
The last time I was in the UK was about 10 years ago. right now I still have a bit of spare time to enjoy before I resume with academic and job prospects here, I take the chance to enjoy and digest whatever I can.

then when you have had enough you can move on to further afield York,Cornwall, Scotland and i recommend the Castles in Wales they are great. and that hat fits too well to be someone elses:) it suits a desert creature.
I would love to return to Scotland, and see more of the UK.

Last edited:

Bismillah

Submit
Very cool. I always thought living in places with ancient history would be the best, you sure are lucky Israel and then England!

In America anything over thirty years of age is considered an antique :areyoucra

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Very cool. I always thought living in places with ancient history would be the best, you sure are lucky Israel and then England!

In America anything over thirty years of age is considered an antique :areyoucra
I do consider myself very lucky in that regard. I have read tons of literature about British culture, and stayed in London for a few months 10 years before, including travelling Scotland for a couple of months I believe.
About the states, I can't comment much, because I've never visited the US. however, areas such as the four corners region hold interesting historical value.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I think you would really like the Historic Triange area in Virginia - Williamsburg, Jamestown, Yorktown. Jamestown is over 400 years old and very interesting archeologically.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
I think you would really like the Historic Triange area in Virginia - Williamsburg, Jamestown, Yorktown. Jamestown is over 400 years old and very interesting archeologically.
You're right Kathryn. there are many historical landmarks in the US. even if they are not from the Bronze age or the Classical period.
BTW, Im heading to Brittany, Western France in a couple of hours. not sure I'll have much time to explore as much as I'd like in these areas, but I'll try to come up with something!

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Sounds fabulous.

Hey, by the way, you're a traveled man. I have a question.

As you know, my husband and I are taking our son and his best friend to Europe this summer. We plan to make it a ten day trip.

Our original plan was to go to London first for two nights and three days, and then to go on through Belgium and then Germany, ending up in Salzburg, Austria.

In planning this trip, I've come to realize that we're trying to cram too much into ten days - IF we are going to include London. If we fly roundtrip out of London, we will spend too much time backtracking - or we'll have to cut out the Alps and Salzburg in order to circle back around.

If we DON'T fly back out of London, it adds CONSIDERABLE cost to our trip.

We've asked the boys to decide - Germany and Austria (and probably Prague as well), flying into and out of Frankfurt, or the UK - London, then England, Scotland and a bit of Ireland. It's ultimately up to them, but I'd like your feedback as well.

The other boy is Jewish by the way. He is interested in Dachau and Hitler's HQ in Bertchesgaden - but...I think he could be convinced either way.

Whaddya think? Ten days, two 18 year olds in tow? Which one would YOU recommend?

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Sounds fabulous.

Hey, by the way, you're a traveled man. I have a question.

As you know, my husband and I are taking our son and his best friend to Europe this summer. We plan to make it a ten day trip.

Our original plan was to go to London first for two nights and three days, and then to go on through Belgium and then Germany, ending up in Salzburg, Austria.

In planning this trip, I've come to realize that we're trying to cram too much into ten days - IF we are going to include London. If we fly roundtrip out of London, we will spend too much time backtracking - or we'll have to cut out the Alps and Salzburg in order to circle back around.

If we DON'T fly back out of London, it adds CONSIDERABLE cost to our trip.

We've asked the boys to decide - Germany and Austria (and probably Prague as well), flying into and out of Frankfurt, or the UK - London, then England, Scotland and a bit of Ireland. It's ultimately up to them, but I'd like your feedback as well.

The other boy is Jewish by the way. He is interested in Dachau and Hitler's HQ in Bertchesgaden - but...I think he could be convinced either way.

Whaddya think? Ten days, two 18 year olds in tow? Which one would YOU recommend?
Heya Kathryn!

I have travelled Scotland and a very little bit of Ireland, Germany I have only stayed and travelled rural areas around the black forest, not Frankfurt or any of the other big cities. also, I have not been to Austria or Prague, or Belgium for a matter of fact.
If the guys have not been to London yet, I would recommend going for the UK/British isles trip.
when I finished my army service I backpacked Europe for 6+ months, most of the time was spent in the UK, in London and Scotland. one... the people are actually kind enough to speak English... wait, its the language they speak there, but you get my point.
other good reasons... well, its London. it may not represent the entire UK, but it has many historical and cultural gems. I love its museums, and sometimes you cant help but think that the entire city is like a museum.
as for Scotland, well its just a cool place, with some cool people. the highlands are beautiful, the drinks are fine, the distilleries are hospitable, not to mention they are actually authorized to sell "Scotch", I personally loved it.
I have not visited wwii landmarks outside the UK and France, so it is also hard for me to comment on that.

well, thats what I have to say for now on this. its a bit late, and ive been systematically served all drinks and food of this part of France all day, I think they plan to cook me in the morning. I might have more to say on this very soon. right now I am going to log out and get ready for another auwful day of drinking, eating, exploring Celtic heritage and visiting medieval towns.

talk to you soon Kathryn ;)

here is me yesterday, with an 'I cant take much more of this' look on my face. well not really.

bretagne2011099.jpg

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
More recent photos!

IMAG0198.jpg

Street art in the making:

SNV32992.jpg

SNV32990.jpg

1500 year old Hexagrams or 'Star of David' as it were, found in an ancient Anglo-Saxon cemetery:

AngloSaxonHexagram.jpg

More street art:

SNV32993.jpg

English football hooligans after an historical Liverpool vs Manchester United match?

EnglishFootballHooligans.jpg

SNV32995.jpg

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Rodents Of Unusual Size? I don't think they exist.

SNV32987.jpg

At The Crypt, a Jazz club we found around our neighbourhood, the club is located under an old and impressive church, and its an interesting break to get an 'underground' feel of a dusty club with cheap wine as opposed to some of the classy places around London. the musicians were great, and the crowd diverse spanning all ages.

IMAG0167.jpg

At the Freemasons hall. impressive building, inside it looks like a synagogue, only with disproportionate drama in contrast to the very modest look most synagogues present. our guide, was very articulate and clever, very good. however I was surprised he didn't seem to know that one of the main symbols in the hall was taken from the book of Ezekiel. unfortunately the bookstore, while offering some nice memorabilia, offers a very poor literary material, with ridiculous and romantic ideas only an exclusive male dominate club can come up with.

SNV32950.jpg

Eye to eye with an Assyrian guardian

SNV32939.jpg

Last edited:

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
ha! You sure seem to have adjusted :)
LOL.

Many Israelis have an irrational sense of anglophilia, so I 'prepared my homework' before hand. I can safely say that although it will take me a while to get a hang of British English and terms, and accents, my English is fluent and much better than many people who have been living here for years, which makes life easy. also my background in the material many or most notable museums present seems to be much more sophisticated than that of the vast majority of the other visitors, and certainly than that of tourists who visit these places. when I visit war museums and hear some of the comments people make on the material presented there, I feel an annoying tickle starting to rise in my spine for the shallow understanding many people hold on some of the key issues that shaped present reality.
you could say Im a kid in a huge toy store, but as much as I love it, it took me a very short time also to develop a very critical mind about various things around. but then again that is not different from back home.

Last edited:

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
We spent the day at the Wellcome collection. the place explores the connections between medicine, life and art in the past, present and future. it was by far one of the most interesting and entertaining days I've spent here since I've arrived early December.

At the same period Jewish psychiatrists promoted sexual liberalism and open discussion of all sexual matters, including progressive discussion of homosexuality, I guess some people on this island had a few disagreements with them.
below are 'male anti masturbation devices' used in the UK in the late 19th and early 20th century.

IMAG0200.jpg

Some people will fight for the cross, in their history, pieces of the original cross moved entire armies thousands of miles into the orient, it was perhaps 'the' sacred relic. in the Wellcome collection, I saw 'religious relics' I had no idea were there. below is Darwin's walking stick. some people believe in the good news, I believe in the Origin of Species, or rather the avalanche of science it has started.

IMAG0201.jpg

Another religious relic. Dolly's original poop. sometime in the near future, perhaps when cloning and genetics will change society in such a dramatic way, people will make pilgrimage to this room, to see the poop of the sheep that paved the way for it all.

IMAG0210.jpg

Dan: 'hmmm he almost looks like the Oriental rat flea, the guys who carried bacteria with them into the continent. you know, the kind which wiped out up to 60% of the population of Europe in the 14th century.
My God. it is the perfect soldier'.

Gaelle: *laughing* 'They are very ugly'

Dan: *Shaking head*: 'Women'

Flea.jpg

Last edited: