• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2010 Christmas season in London

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Well, this is the first time I'm celebrating Christmas, it has been a beautiful season in London, which was covered in snow for a while, which is also new to me for the most part.
I'm having a lovely time. who would have thought that about 5 months ago, just when the Flotilla incident was being debated on international media, the Israeli-Turkish relations became more tense and I was called for a reserve duty in which me and the guys laughed off the irony that the best part of our combat rations had a large 'Made in Turkey' and a Turkish flag printed on the box- I would now be celebrating Christmas in snowy London, and be engaged to boot.
funny how things turn out, one short excavation season in which I've met my fiancée changed my destiny. =) (BTW, you might be able to watch some information about our work in February on the history channel in a program about Saladin in which they visited our site, including the area I supervised).

Me, about 5 months ago:

DanDesert.jpg

Me, yesterday, at the Apollo Victoria, just after watching 'Wicked' the musical with Gaelle, I've read the book about 10 years ago when I was still in the regular forces of the Israeli army, from what I remember of reading the book, it seems they have changed some of the essentials of the plot, but it was brilliant, and we had an incredible time:

2010ChristmasseasoninLondon196.jpg

Christmas dinner at our place:

2010ChristmasseasoninLondon208.jpg

At the Imperial War Museum. Excellent museum, with very good sections about WWI, WWII, The Holocaust, and modest sections about the wars of the modern era, the unrealistic glamour the SAS and the British special forces are presented is a bit amusing though.
2010ChristmasseasoninLondon103.jpg

Imperial war museum:

2010ChristmasseasoninLondon102.jpg

Peckham Rye as seen outside our window.

2010ChristmasseasoninLondon002.jpg

Peckham Rye in snow!

2010ChristmasseasoninLondon017.jpg

2010ChristmasseasoninLondon016.jpg

Last edited:

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Peckham Rye:

2010ChristmasseasoninLondon020.jpg

London during the Christmas season:

2010ChristmasseasoninLondon092.jpg

Snowy Trafalgar square:

2010ChristmasseasoninLondon080.jpg

2010ChristmasseasoninLondon088.jpg

Even General Havelock doesn't get a break in this busy season:

2010ChristmasseasoninLondon083.jpg

National Art Galley:

2010ChristmasseasoninLondon079.jpg

Casual London:

2010ChristmasseasoninLondon074.jpg

Bored looking Darwin at the Natural History Museum:

2010ChristmasseasoninLondon062.jpg

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
More of Hyde Park:

2010ChristmasseasoninLondon144.jpg

2010ChristmasseasoninLondon148.jpg

'Physical Energy' at Hyde Park:
2010ChristmasseasoninLondon164.jpg

More of London:

2010ChristmasseasoninLondon178.jpg

The Union Jack owned by the drapeau tricolore.

2010ChristmasseasoninLondon183.jpg

2010ChristmasseasoninLondon186.jpg

She will be mine. oh yes. she will be mine.

2010ChristmasseasoninLondon176.jpg

2010ChristmasseasoninLondon177.jpg

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
At the RAF museum, too bad it was closed due to snow!

2010ChristmasseasoninLondon185.jpg

'Got a penny'?

2010ChristmasseasoninLondon195.jpg

More of Christmas at our place...
in the following picture you can see Prophet Elijah being owned by Father Christmas...

2010ChristmasseasoninLondon219.jpg

Second course for the dinner, scallops:

2010ChristmasseasoninLondon202.jpg

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
LOL. the 3rd course was really hedonistic in the face of traditional Christmas spirit! :D
and yes, I'm having a very good time.

:D ,in the Summer try to get down to Rock which is in Cornwall,its a stones throw to some of our best beaches and reasonable surf

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I started another knock off thread where people can post their Christmas pictures (inspired by this thread, of course!) but I couldn't resist posting this picture of one of our dogs after eating our leftovers from Christmas dinner!

Yes, this dog is on the sofa - laying on my new pillows.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
I started another knock off thread where people can post their Christmas pictures (inspired by this thread, of course!) but I couldn't resist posting this picture of one of our dogs after eating our leftovers from Christmas dinner!
LOL. I'd like to have what this dog is having. my Dutch shepherd back in Israel never looked so happy after munching my food!

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Awesome! Keep the pictures coming!
Here are some more photos, and I'll probably upload more soon.

These are some photos of the Christmas spirit in our neighbourhood:

SNV32427.jpg

SNV32467.jpg

SNV32468.jpg

SNV32470.jpg

SNV32475.jpg

3rd visit in the last couple of weeks to the Imperial war museum and second one in the last two days with Gaelle, we spent about 10 to 12 hours in the last two days exploring the WWII section, the Holocaust exhibition, and talking about the very small sections of the modern wars- so far the war in the Falklands, the first Gulf War, and N. Ireland. tomorrow we'll do the Arab-Israeli wars, conflicts of the mid east etc. and move to the large WWI section

SNV32488.jpg

SNV32426.jpg

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Those are AWESOME!!!
Thanks Kathryn!

I have no doubt you guys will spend a while in the museum in your visit to London this summer with your son (WWII history buff if I remember right).
The first exhibit visitors encounter when they enter the main hall of the museum is a wrecked car from a bombing in Baghdad BTW.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
All Saints Peckham. built in 1867. a few minutes walk from our place.

AllSaintsPeckham.jpg

"The Spaniards Inn is a historic pub on Spaniards Road between Hampstead and Highgate in London. It lies on the edge of Hampstead Heath near Kenwood House.
Built in 1585.
The Inn remains a quaint, oak panelled and atmospheric pub with one of the best pub gardens in London which were originally created as pleasure gardens, with an artificial mound from which one could see views over London and even as far as Windsor Castle.
Dick Turpin is thought to have been a regular at the Inn and his father is rumoured to have been a previous landlord. What is certain is that highwaymen frequented this area and likely used the Inn to watch the road; at that time the Inn was around two hours from London by coach and the area had its fair share of wealthy travellers. Records from the Old Bailey show that on 16 October 1751 Samuel Bacon was indicted for robbery on the Kings Highway and was caught 200 yards from the Spaniards. A tree (now gone) at the end of the road was a famous site where highwaymen were hanged when caught.
The pub also has a great literary heritage. Not only has it been mentioned in Dickens's The Pickwick Papers and Bram Stoker's Dracula, but it can count among its previous frequenters the artist Joshua Reynolds and the poets Byron and Keats. If you believe the Inn's spiel, Keats allegedly wrote his Ode to a Nightingale in the gardens, and Stoker borrowed one of their resident ghost stories to furnish the plot of Dracula."

London2010-2011296.jpg

London2010-2011295.jpg