• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

165 million year old voices heard again.

elmarna

Too bad I had no opertunity to hear it!
I heard a reconstruction of a dinasaur through use of the skull and aplication of the understanding how sound operates. It was So eerie and foriegn it made all my hair on my body stand up! More than creepy!!!

Reptillian

Hamburgler Extraordinaire
Too bad I had no opertunity to hear it!
I heard a reconstruction of a dinasaur through use of the skull and aplication of the understanding how sound operates. It was So eerie and foriegn it made all my hair on my body stand up! More than creepy!!!

Interesting article.

I've heard that reconstruction too, it is an odd noise. I'd suppose some dinosaurs sounded like crocodiles:

[youtube]zLt0bt_NITA[/youtube]
Have you ever heard a crocodile roar? - YouTube

I when I try to picture a tyrannosaurus roaring, I just imagine the crocodile roar but like 20 times louder and longer.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Truly frubalishus!

It's amazing just how much we can learn from fossils... it makes me kind of sad to think of all the information we lost to the "bone wars" race to dig up bones quick and dirty.

wa:do

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Interesting article.

I've heard that reconstruction too, it is an odd noise. I'd suppose some dinosaurs sounded like crocodiles:

[youtube]zLt0bt_NITA[/youtube]
Have you ever heard a crocodile roar? - YouTube

I when I try to picture a tyrannosaurus roaring, I just imagine the crocodile roar but like 20 times louder and longer.
maybe... but tyrannosaurs had much more pneumatic skulls, with lots of room for resonance chambers in the nasal area. Not that I expect T.rex to sing... :cool:

Alligators and all crocs have very solid skulls and must rely only on their esophagus for sound. Despite that, they do produce a wide variety of sounds.

wa:do

apophenia

Which reminds me, I heard recently that you can tell the temperature by the rate at which crickets chirp their chirp. They only begin chirping at a specific temperature, and at a specific number of chirps per minute, and the rate rises in direct proportion to the temperature. Does anyone know the numbers ? I heard it on a radio science show and forgot the exact figures.

edit - I should have just googled it -

"Crickets chirp at different rates depending on their species and the temperature of their environment. Most species chirp at higher rates the higher the temperature is (approximately 62 chirps a minute at 13°C in one common species; each species has its own rate). The relationship between temperature and the rate of chirping is known as Dolbear's Law. According to this law, counting the number of chirps produced in 14 seconds by the snowy tree cricket common in the United States and adding 40 will approximately equal the temperature in degrees Fahrenheit" - Wikipedia

Last edited: