• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

124.000 prophets through time.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
In totalt God sendt 124.000 prophets from the very beginning of time ( according to sufi teaching) why you may ask? A reason for this may be so all humans through time would have a spiritual teacher from God to seek wisdom from.

But could they all be correct? If they truly do come from God then yes, but their teaching may have been given in different ways, different levels of wisdom from God, so all humans could find the teaching that they understood.

So there is no reason to call out people from different religious beliefs because they "believe the wrong God"
No human being will have the exact same understanding of Gods message even within the same religious path, the vail that is in front of our understanding would have to be removed, and that is what spiritual practice is all about, removal of the vail keeping us from seeing the truth.

Religious and spiritual practice is not about being better than others, it is a "tool" to open our being up to see our own vail, then to practice until each vail disapear.

No need to harm or do ill will in Gods name.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Where do you see the 124 thousand written?

Interestingly the Baha'i Writings offer there is an incalculable number of Messengers.

Thus God does have many names, but the names are the light of One God.

Regards Tony

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want

Interestingly the Baha'i Writings offer there is an incalculable number of Messengers.

Regards Tony
Within sufi teaching ( I will find it and add it in this OP)

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want

Regards Tony

In my understanding this speak of Prophets from all religions not only Islam.
Prophethood in Islam is done in two tiers: There are Messengers (Arabic: Rasul, plural: Rusul) and Prophets (Arabic: Nabi, plural: Anbiya).

Messengers are those lucky folks, to whom Allah gave revelation through an intermediary angel. There are quite a few of them. Tradition says that there are 124,000 of them, just as the OP correctly stated. The task of these Messengers is to remind people to stick to Allah’s commandments.

The second breed are Prophets. Prophets are automatically Messengers as well, but they are quite a rare breed. Tradition counts their number as 25, with Muhammad being the last of them, the final “seal”. These 25 Prophets differ from the 124,000 in the sense that they bring new Book of Laws from Allah to each of their own nation:

“And We certainly sent into every nation a messenger, [saying], "Worship Allah and avoid Taghut (idols)."

— QUR’AN 16:36 (SAHIH INTERNATIONAL)

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
From sufi text Sufism Beyond Religion

It is believed that a large number of prophets of God preceded Prophet
Muhammad. In Islamic traditions, the number of prophets is put at 124,000 and that of
messengers of God at 313. The Qur’an mentions twenty-seven of them excluding Prophet
Muhammad. Names of twenty-two out of these twenty-seven prophets are found in the
Old Testament (Adam, Noah, Abraham and Moses being the four prominent names), and
three in the New Testament (Zacharias, John the Baptist-son of Zacharias and Jesus). The
other two being Dhul Karnayn and Lukman. ***
(***Benjamin Walker in ‘Foundations of Islam’)
Maulana Rumi has said quoting the Qur’an that ‘Prophets tell the people that if all
the seas are turned into ink to be consumed in writing the Qualities and Attributes of the
Lord, the seas would dry up but the praises of the God cannot be completely written
down.’ The whole of the Qur’an, however, is transcribed in ink worth a little money. So,
the whole of the knowledge is not this alone, for, even before Prophet Muhammad and
his Qur’an, there were prophets like Moses and Jesus Christ and others and the words
(knowledge) of God existed.

Attachments

• sufismbeyondreligion.pdf
    854.8 KB · Views: 1

Nimos

In totalt God sendt 124.000 prophets from the very beginning of time ( according to sufi teaching) why you may ask? A reason for this may be so all humans through time would have a spiritual teacher from God to seek wisdom from.
Just wondering, are there any prophets now or did he stop sending them? and if so, does it say why he stopped?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Just wondering, are there any prophets now or did he stop sending them? and if so, does it say why he stopped?
Within Islam, Muhammad was the last Prophet to be sendt, but can i say for sure there isn't prophets or messengers now today? No I can not say for sure, due to that I do not know the answer :) my connection with God is not on that level of wisdom.

Native

Free Natural Philosopher & Comparative Mythologist
This is a traditional and restricted approach to the OP. Even every minor ancient tribe had/have individuals (shamans) who communicated with the creative force.
No human being will have the exact same understanding of Gods message even within the same religious path, the vail that is in front of our understanding would have to be removed, and that is what spiritual practice is all about, removal of the vail keeping us from seeing the truth.
This is contradicted by the very similar and many cultural Creation Myths + List of Creation Myths.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
This is a traditional and restricted approach to the OP. Even every minor ancient tribe had/have individuals (shamans) who communicated with the creative force.

This is contradicted by the very similar and many cultural Creation Myths + List of Creation Myths.
The OP is written from my understanding, meaning i do not claim to hold the full truth of the topic. So if othe4s contradict something I say, that is not a problem

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
“And We certainly sent into every nation a messenger, [saying], "Worship Allah and avoid Taghut (idols)."

You repeatedly claim that you do not wish not to tell others that "their gods are wrong", and then you do exactly that. I wonder if this strategy is your own idea, or whether it was advised by your teacher. You can't claim to believe in both the uniqueness of Allah and the existence of other Gods.

SA Huguenot

In my understanding this speak of Prophets from all religions not only Islam.
Prophethood in Islam is done in two tiers: There are Messengers (Arabic: Rasul, plural: Rusul) and Prophets (Arabic: Nabi, plural: Anbiya).

Messengers are those lucky folks, to whom Allah gave revelation through an intermediary angel. There are quite a few of them. Tradition says that there are 124,000 of them, just as the OP correctly stated. The task of these Messengers is to remind people to stick to Allah’s commandments.

The second breed are Prophets. Prophets are automatically Messengers as well, but they are quite a rare breed. Tradition counts their number as 25, with Muhammad being the last of them, the final “seal”. These 25 Prophets differ from the 124,000 in the sense that they bring new Book of Laws from Allah to each of their own nation:

If you say the Quran names 25 prophets by name, this obviously excludes Duhl Quarnain.

What do you say, was Duhl Quarnain a prophet of Islam?

Furthermore, please explain why the 25 prophets mentioned in the Quran never went to Mecca on pilgrimage?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
You repeatedly claim that you do not wish not to tell others that "their gods are wrong", and then you do exactly that. I wonder if this strategy is your own idea, or whether it was advised by your teacher. You can't claim to believe in both the uniqueness of Allah and the existence of other Gods.
I only gave a answer to a question given to me, it was information, no attempt on saying what I believe in is right for others. The OP is not about right or wrong.

If you believe different than I do, I have no problem with that at all. Sufism is what I believe in, others believe different

SA Huguenot

From sufi text Sufism Beyond Religion

It is believed that a large number of prophets of God preceded Prophet
Muhammad. In Islamic traditions, the number of prophets is put at 124,000 and that of
messengers of God at 313. The Qur’an mentions twenty-seven of them excluding Prophet
Muhammad. Names of twenty-two out of these twenty-seven prophets are found in the
Old Testament (Adam, Noah, Abraham and Moses being the four prominent names), and
three in the New Testament (Zacharias, John the Baptist-son of Zacharias and Jesus). The
other two being Dhul Karnayn and Lukman. ***
(***Benjamin Walker in ‘Foundations of Islam’)
Maulana Rumi has said quoting the Qur’an that ‘Prophets tell the people that if all
the seas are turned into ink to be consumed in writing the Qualities and Attributes of the
Lord, the seas would dry up but the praises of the God cannot be completely written
down.’ The whole of the Qur’an, however, is transcribed in ink worth a little money. So,
the whole of the knowledge is not this alone, for, even before Prophet Muhammad and
his Qur’an, there were prophets like Moses and Jesus Christ and others and the words
(knowledge) of God existed.
Furthermore, can you perhaps tell me why Samuel, one of the gretest prophets in history, are not mentioned by name in the Quran?
Did Muhammad forgot his name from when he received the revelation, to the writing of the Quranic text?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
If you say the Quran names 25 prophets by name, this obviously excludes Duhl Quarnain.

What do you say, was Duhl Quarnain a prophet of Islam?

Furthermore, please explain why the 25 prophets mentioned in the Quran never went to Mecca on pilgrimage?
124.000 is the totalt nummer of prophets and messengers from All the religions and spiritual paths not just from Islam or sufism.
The quran do mention 25 prophets from Adam to Muhammad but 4hat does not mean there were only 25 prophets in history of mankind.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Furthermore, can you perhaps tell me why Samuel, one of the gretest prophets in history, are not mentioned by name in the Quran?
Did Muhammad forgot his name from when he received the revelation, to the writing of the Quranic text?
I can not answer for why Muhammad did not named them all, no i can not.

SA Huguenot

But could they all be correct? If they truly do come from God then yes, but their teaching may have been given in different ways, different levels of wisdom from God, so all humans could find the teaching that they understood.

So there is no reason to call out people from different religious beliefs because they "believe the wrong God"

Religious and spiritual practice is not about being better than others, it is a "tool" to open our being up to see our own vail, then to practice until each vail disapear.

No need to harm or do ill will in Gods name.
And Jeremiah, also a very prominent prophet in history, is his name in the Quran?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want

Attachments

• 25-Prophets-Mentioned-In-The-Noble-Quran.jpg
    25-Prophets-Mentioned-In-The-Noble-Quran.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 0

Native

Free Natural Philosopher & Comparative Mythologist
The OP is written from my understanding, meaning i do not claim to hold the full truth of the topic. So if othe4s contradict something I say, that is not a problem
I didn´t take it as a problem and I just informed you of a broader and natural perspective :)