• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

11 year old girl facing death penalty for "blasphemy"

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Who would have thought a irrational belief in the supernatural would lead to the irrational thought that a 11 year girl should be murdered for burning some paper? Are you still not making the connection?
The linked article doesn't say she's actually facing the death penalty.
We have only hypothetical hyperbole by its author.
Sure, there's crazy religious fervor in Pakistan, but the article strikes me as 'inventive'.

brainwashing within primitive barbaric people who cannot control their theism in any way shape or form to benifit society...
I wonder...do you even know anyone from Pakistan?

Last edited:

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Two things come to mind here:

1) According to the article in the OP, the 11-year-old girl is from a Christian family. How did a Qur'an come in her possession in the first place?

2) Assuming that the Qur'an coming in her possession was purely coincidental (and I really don't think it was), why would she think of burning it? People don't usually burn books, let alone ones held to be holy by large groups of people (in this case, the majority of the country).

It seems to me that the girl was despicably manipulated by intolerant people who wanted to spite Muslims in the area by burning the Qur'an. She shouldn't be punished at all; prepubescent children aren't held accountable in Islam for anything they do, so arresting an 11-year-old girl and charging her with blasphemy is simply inhumane.

Of course, that's not to say that Muslims in the area who called for her arrest and punishment aren't a bunch of ignorant, cruel, and uncivilized wastes of oxygen.

Who would have thought a irrational belief in the supernatural would lead to the irrational thought that a 11 year girl should be murdered for burning some paper? Are you still not making the connection?

When you have people calling for the death of a mentally ill 11-year-old, it becomes very apparent that the issue is about far more than "irrational belief in the supernatural." These are cruel, uneducated people; the incident was just an outlet for their barbarism to show.

Last edited:

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
And you are still wallowing in it. But two facts remain:
  1. correlation is not causation, and
  2. Islamophobic agendas are part of the problem, not part of the solution.

beenie

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Why should I make a connection where there isn't one? (see bolded, enlarged text for reference)...we are talking about irrational people.

Did you miss the part where I said:

Killing a mentally ill 11-year-old girl (or ANY 11-year-old girl) over anything, including burning Qur'anic text, is absurd, cruel, stupid, and any other word you can throw in there.

That's what I thought...again, read thoroughly before slinging accusations.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I am not Islamophobic, I am supernaturalphobic. At least I'm honest about it.

This is something that I think can be extremely dangerous: people taking a story of a tragedy like this, picking parts of it that support their agendas, and ignoring the rest. To say that what those people did was strictly due to "irrational and supernatural thought" is to ignore much larger cultural and societal factors that led to the prosecution of a prepubescent child — a mentally ill one, no less.

jasonwill2

Who's making accusations? The only support for a supernatural world view is faith. What is faith? The blind acceptance of something without evidence. Is that rational?

Nonsense, my faith is founded in supernatural experiences I have had with demons and gods.

This is something that I think can be extremely dangerous: people taking a story of a tragedy like this, picking parts of it that support their agendas, and ignoring the rest. To say that what those people did was strictly due to "irrational and supernatural thought" is to ignore much larger cultural and societal factors that led to the prosecution of a prepubescent child — a mentally ill one, no less.

What is being used against this child? She burned pages of the Quran. Thats it. This entire situation revolves around peoples supernatural world views.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
What is being used against this child? She burned pages of the Quran. Thats it. This entire situation revolves around peoples supernatural world views.

Exactly. Burning pages of the Qur'an is being used against her, completely ignoring that she is both a child and mentally ill. It points to issues pertaining to ignorance and tribalism more than anything to do with "supernatural worldviews."

I also have a strong feeling that such people would have used anything they could to support their cruel actions anyway. Like I said, religion just happened to be the perfect thing to use as justification for their behavior toward this girl due to the circumstances surrounding the situation.

Exactly. Burning pages of the Qur'an is being used against her, completely ignoring that she is both a child and mentally ill. It points to issues pertaining to ignorance and tribalism more than anything to do with "supernatural worldviews."

I also have a strong feeling that such people would have used anything they could to support their cruel actions anyway. Like I said, religion just happened to be the perfect thing to use as justification for their behavior toward this girl due to the circumstances surrounding the situation.

Are you serious? You're saying these people were just spoiling to murder a child? Now who's being irrational?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Is that all you've got? Accussing me of being a Islamophobe to dismiss my arguements? My comments have to do with simple human psychology. Nothing more.
Nowadays, anytime we disagree with or disrespect something, we're labeled "<something>iphobic".
Perhaps he has JustWonderingiphobia, eh?
I have religioniphobia, rawoysteriphobia, KimKardashianiphobia, Obamaphobia, TSAiphobia, Santorumiphobia, & a host of other phobias.

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
This is exactly how i feel most of the time. :(
:hug:

It's how I felt a lot of the time growing up too, though it wasn't over religion, I know what it's like to be bullied.

I really wish there are alot of well informed people like you out there to be with us Muslims side by side against all evil because terrorism has no religion, terrorism comes from within evil or brainwashed souls.
I see Islam as a beautiful religion and would be honored to stand beside you and other muslims against terrorism and bigotry.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Are you serious? You're saying these people were just spoiling to murder a child? Now who's being irrational?

No, what I'm saying is that people who have shown a readiness to execute a child could very well do it in another situation, even if it had nothing to do with religion.

Religion happened to be 'there' as an excuse to justify their actions which stem from intolerant barbarism, first and foremost.

of course not. What's your point?

Humoring/supporting supernatural world views is the same as supporting the suspension of critical thinking. Turning a blind eye to that is the same as supporting punishing a child for burning pages of mythological stories. Religion is at the heart of this situation. Unless you really believe these people just really like abusing children.