• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

10 things about your city (or town)

robtex

Veteran Member
One of my favorite things to do is to exchange info on where I live with info of where somebody else lives. So I typed up this entry to introduce my home town and learn about others. In it I am going to list 10 facts about Austin (my home) after a short into. Currently I live 15 miles from downdown in a small community called Round Rock. Round Rock was put on the map by Dell computers whose corportate headquaters are here. Round Rock (or RR for short) is basically a smaller subsection on the outskirts (5 miles out) of Austin so I will talk about the larger metro of Austin instead. I picked 10 because it is a round number but not too small so that I could adaquatly introduce you to my home.

1) Live Music Capital of the world. It is the official title given to this city although with cities like Memphsis, LA and NY I would wonder if it is truely true. It is a metro that appreciates its live music scene and I wanted to touch on that. What it means to live in a city that embraces live music is that one can see live music 7 days a week day or night. When I say 7 days a week I mean wensday night and Sunday morning too. Many muscians come from all over Texas and settle here to expand their hobby. The Music scene ranges from rap to grunge to country to piano music and well over 50 clubs have live music every evening. To get a feel for the music scene go to (austin chroncile website). Stevie Ray Vaughn called Austin home and his statue stands in Austin. I went to the official memorial by the city for him dressed in all black and carrying a candle in his name. People were singing and crying and a hippy was arrested for playing air guitar ontop of the hosting radio stations speaker van. Every year Austin hosts SXSW where musicians come from all over the world for a few days and the city is packed with fans of music. 6th street is the hub of the live music scene and is an entertainment district with clubs offering live music every night of the week for the length of 1/2 of the street and the adjacent streets. The only strange thing is that Austin does not have the University with the largest rock music school in it. NorthTexas State does which is in Nacogdoches...east of Dallas Texas. (jpeg of SRV statue in austin ) http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/_/viewer.aspx?path=c/c3/&name=SRV.jpeg

2) Education level. One of the highest in the country. I have heard reports that as many as 33 % of the population has a 4 year degree or higher. Most years Austin falls in the top 5 for education level (with #1 being Seattle and # 2 using being SF Cali). There are 7 colleges within one hour of one another with three being private schools one being a black college and the rest state schools. Many of the people (self included) come here get a degree and than never leave. The result is an intellectual quagmire where your bus driver or waiter may know more about physics or history than you ever thought could be possible to know. Under employment is very high with no shortagae of blue collar work but shortage of white collar work. One can go to a coffee house or bar and have a discussion on philosphy politics religion or science and that would be the norm as opposed to the unusual.

3) Southern hospitality. In the south and in Austin for sure talking to strangers is the norm. I lived in Sacramento for a while and took my southern hospitality with me. I spoke with strangers for about a week and than stopped when I noticed that the standard reaction was a glare and a brisk walk in the opposite direction. Here talking with strangers is tradition and I can't even think of a single day in years where I didn't strike up a conversation or vice versa with a complete stranger.

4) keep austin wierd. That is the unofficial city slogan. Because of the education level, music scene and soutern hospitality Austin has become what I like to think is the new alamo for the pink leftist liberal freak. The city has groups with a strong protocal for liberal ideas like gay rights, death penalty abolition, pluralistic reilgion (including atheism and agnostic), war protests pro-planned parenthood, Mary Jane legalization and support of green party ect ect. Tattoos, piercings and untradional clothing are the norm when you get to parts of the metro. As you get further out of the city you run into redneck country where the Christian right live. I sometimes Go out into that void (to me it is a void) and talk with the locals which again is southern hospitality to talk to strangers. I tell them I am from Austin and many times I will hear.."there is a lot of wierdo there aint' there?" I ask them to qualify that and they say, you know non-christian (or athiests) hippy tree huggers who ain't christian and don't think we should be kicking *** in the middle east." My first thought is "oh you mean free thinkers" but I realize that is a snobby answer so usually I say yeah its pretty liberal in Austin. Austin is the last and outlet for the liberal to feel like something other than a minority thus my analogy of Austin being the new alamo for the liberal in Texas. You can buy t-shirts with the slogan "keep austin wierd" on it at a large number or stores and shops. http://www.keepaustinweird.com/ http://www.keepaustinweird5k.com/ http://austin.about.com/od/keepaustinweird/
http://www.dailytexanonline.com/news/2004/09/09/Focus/Keep-Austin.Weird-713824.shtml

5) website www.austin360.com. This is the main website for the city. The 360 is a highway that is also called the captial of Texas highway. It runs the length of Texas and goes past rolling hills that go for miles outside the city limits. The website has a lot of local politics on it and a good feel for life in the metro.

6) Central texas hill country. Austin is attached to what is known as the central Texas hill country. The city is hilly in and of itself and the surround area brings people who want to hike and camp. There are no mountians just hills. As a result of the geography rock climbing has become very popular here as well as hiking and camping just outside the city limits. I can drive less than 10 miles and be in camping and hiking area...maybe less than 5. Archaeology and anthropology are also big from the universities present and the land. I meet people every year that went on digs just outside the metro. Lance Armstrong has made biking very popular and because of the uneven surface and warm weather professional bikers come here to train

7) Major newspapers. I am going to just list them give a short sentence on them and move on. I am listing them because if you want to know a city you can learn a lot from its newspapers. The austin american statesmen. Biggest paper. Their headquaters is downtown on congress avenue just 10 blocks from the state capital but on the same street. The austin chronicle A leftest publication it has one of the highest ciruclations in the city. If you want to get a feel for the live music scene in austin this is the one to read. Others include the texas observer, and the austin business journal.

8) The capial. Austin is the capital of Texas. The capital is on 11 and 12th street and congress in the middle of downtown. The city is very politcally aware due to the education level of its inhabitants and its being the capital. Activism is also high. The capital itself though is very quite. Going inside the building it is very quite and the star of Texas sits in the middle of the floor. People will stand in the middle of the star and clap once to hear the echo off the cieling. That seems to be a tradtion. Security is moderate to light and other than the extravogant entry way the building seems very ordinary.

9) 6th street. Most cities have their main entertament district or area. For Austin it is 6th street. This section of the city has dance clubs, bars and a large number of places having live music. Tattoo shops, adult novelty stores and head shops are also frequent here. APD (austin police dept) patrol it area on bicycles but there is so little violence that the attitude between officers and the locals is moslty friendly. Drug addicts live on in shelters on 7th and 8th street and sometimes you can see them alseep in the alleyways. Local artists work on the sidewalks selling handmade jewery and drawings. Sidewalk musicains play for tips on the corners. 6th street is open 7 days a week and usually till 2 am on weekdays and sunday and 4 am for dance clubs on fri sat. In Texas bars are requred by law to stop serving at 2 a.m. http://www.6street.com/

10) population and demographics. source (http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/planning/planfaqs.htm) (http://www.epodunk.com/cgi-bin/popInfo.php?locIndex=26118)
founded 1839 first capital called waterloo (http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/library/ahc/briefhistory.htm)
population 656 thousand
251 square miles
avg age 32
52-65 % white/ 30 % hispanic 10 % black all others below 10 % Asian 4.7 % (in travis not williamson county)
service industy is 30.6 % trade 22.2 % gov 19.8 % manufacturing 13.1 % all others below 10 %
land is hilly no mountains.
hot 11 months out of the year

well thats the skinny hope to get 10 things about your metro of inhabitance.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
I live just outside of Richmond, Virginia in an area known as Southside (it means southside of the James River, the other areas in the vicinity of Richmond are known as Northside, Westend and Eastend all having to do with their location in respect to the James). It's not the most lively town but here are some of the highlights (or lowlights)

1) Monument Avenue - aka Loser Lane, all but one of the statues on this street are dedicated to Confederate generals

2) The Confederate Whitehouse - come on it's the Confederate Whitehouse!:biglaugh:

3) Bottoms Up Pizza - like much of Shockoe Bottom it is a restaurant made from a converted warehouse and they have the biggest friggin pizzas in the city! And the Restaurant is very cool too!

4) Ukrop's Supermarket - It sux to work there but it's like traveling back to the 50's as far as service goes, though recently since Joe Ukrop, the founder, passed it hasn't quite been the same.

5) we are 2 hours from the beach and the mountains so you can pick which vacation spot is your best.

6) Pony Pasture - where all the hip kids hang out when the weather is nice

7) Maymont Park - nifty petting zoo and a beautiful Japanese garden and old plantation style house

8) Dogwood Dell during the 4th of July - come early cause it gets packed real fast!

9) The Science Museum - always fun and cool IMAX theatre!

10) Y101 Chili Cookoff - ....mmmm Beer and Chili

SoulTYPE

1) The crime here is SO bad that people are too scared to walk the streets.

2) almost 1/4 of this town is a commisiion housing area, where the erm..."lower class" people live.

3) It has the highest unemployment rate in the country.

4) The busiest place here is the dole office.

5) Public Transport finishes at 5pm, and the buses only run once per hour.

6)There are 40,000 people here (aprox)

7) nless you like Nightclubs or gambling, there is nothing else to do.

8) This town is the capital fruit growing town in our state.

9) More students spend time at the shops then at school.

10) Um, that's it.

Lightkeeper

I have lived at Fort Hood, Texas, near Austin and Fort Lee, VA near Richmond.

Seattle, Washington area:

1. Natural beauty, trees, mountains, lakes, Puget Sound, rivers all close by.
2. Home of Microsoft and Boeing which is good for the economy.
3. Temperate weather. You can be outside a lot.
4. Moderate cost of living.
5. Employment rate rising.
6. Many shopping malls within close range.
7. Lots of entertainment; sports, movies, restaurants, bowling, skating, skiing, hiking, hunting, fishing,boating, night spots, antinquing, rock hunting, camping, etc.
8. Friendly people
9. Ample housing.
10. Zoo's, museums, opera house, science center, libraries, many choices in higher education, nearby.

robtex

Veteran Member
lkeeper personalize it more...dont be so general. Seattle is the coffee capital of the US right? I believe seattle is currently the most educated city in the US right now with 47 % having ba's or higher and also has the highest % of population with master's degrees.

seattle was incorporated in 1869 and was a territory in 1865 (http://www.cityofseattle.net/leg/clerk/kwikfact.htm#incorp)

I always wondered what the ethnic breakdown is and what is the city's slogan or slogans..like for austin it is keep austin wierd...

Lightkeeper

robtex said:
lkeeper personalize it more...dont be so general. Seattle is the coffee capital of the US right? I believe seattle is currently the most educated city in the US right now with 47 % having ba's or higher and also has the highest % of population with master's degrees.

seattle was incorporated in 1869 and was a territory in 1865 (http://www.cityofseattle.net/leg/clerk/kwikfact.htm#incorp)

I always wondered what the ethnic breakdown is and what is the city's slogan or slogans..like for austin it is keep austin wierd...
This is all I have to give on it. I don't concern myself with BA's, I look at the whole picture and create my own life. I don't lock myself into slogans. I believe everyone should see it the way they want to see it.

Pah

Uber all member
jewscout said:
I live just outside of Richmond, Virginia in an area known as Southside (it means southside of the James River, the other areas in the vicinity of Richmond are known as Northside, Westend and Eastend all having to do with their location in respect to the James). It's not the most lively town but here are some of the highlights (or lowlights)

1) Monument Avenue - aka Loser Lane, all but one of the statues on this street are dedicated to Confederate generals

2) The Confederate Whitehouse - come on it's the Confederate Whitehouse!:biglaugh:

3) Bottoms Up Pizza - like much of Shockoe Bottom it is a restaurant made from a converted warehouse and they have the biggest friggin pizzas in the city! And the Restaurant is very cool too!

4) Ukrop's Supermarket - It sux to work there but it's like traveling back to the 50's as far as service goes, though recently since Joe Ukrop, the founder, passed it hasn't quite been the same.

5) we are 2 hours from the beach and the mountains so you can pick which vacation spot is your best.

7) Maymont Park - nifty petting zoo and a beautiful Japanese garden and old plantation style house

8) Dogwood Dell during the 4th of July - come early cause it gets packed real fast!

I'm south of Southside by about 30 miles and I'm neighbor to Lightkeeper's Fort Lee.

We are so small, that if I listed ten things I would have to include my private hot tub. One resturant (Italian but heavy sweet sauce and a medioce pizza). One grocery store (smaller than my house and 5 variities of grits, some in 10 pound sacks). One national chain motel. One main commercial street (half a block long with a second hand clothing store, a hardware store, and a bank with branches in smaller towns and the county seat). Deer and rabbits in the backyard and a bear that left his paw prints.

What we don't have is crime, noise (except for Fort Lee when they fire the canons evry once in a while)), bright lights, or expensive land.

Jewscout is close and we're gonna have to meet real soon - ya hear that Jewscout!!!!

-pah-

robtex

Veteran Member
interesing pah. I say that because being a transexual I would think you would have more acceptance in a metro than in a rural enviroment. In Austin being a transsexual is no biggie at all..many people wouldn't think twice...you move out in to rural texas and the cowboys will want to beat the snot out of you....no joke. isn't that true up there too?

Pah

Uber all member
robtex said:
interesing pah. I say that because being a transexual I would think you would have more acceptance in a metro than in a rural enviroment. In Austin being a transsexual is no biggie at all..many people wouldn't think twice...you move out in to rural texas and the cowboys will want to beat the snot out of you....no joke. isn't that true up there too?

Hehehe - don't confuse my advocacy with my sexual identity. I fight for understanding of all sexualities and the rights they should enjoy. My sexual identity is male and I'm oriented toward females. I don't speak because I am one but because it is right to speak against the oppression of all minorities.

I don't think there is hate crime here but I am afraid my atheist thought does get at least "cold shoulders"

Now back to the topic here and lets hear about other home towns

-pah-

robtex

Veteran Member
damn i am so sorry pah ...i kept looking at your pic and thinking" he has a an adams apple.." so when you went to the dinner and told fella you were kidding .....ah i will pm you and ask....boy am i confused......sorry....oh and you home town sounds like it sucks....why u live there?

Pah

Uber all member
robtex said:
damn i am so sorry pah ...i kept looking at your pic and thinking" he has a an adams apple.." so when you went to the dinner and told fella you were kidding .....ah i will pm you and ask....boy am i confused......sorry....oh and you home town sounds like it sucks....why u live there?

The price of land - seven and one half acers for less than $20,000. So many close to a city pay more for fractions of an acre. The commute was about the same for QTpi.

-pah-

And really, lets here about others.

robtex

Veteran Member
I guess I can do Sacremento I lived there for a short time.

1) Location: It is about two hours from everything. From the pacific ocean and beaches, from the butte mountain range from the sierra mountain range from the red wood forests from the oldest jujutsu school on the mainland (in chico ca), from various lakes

2) old sacremento. One of the oldest sections in any modern town. It is a restored part of town with buildings set-up like the 1800's and a railway like an 1800's train station. Murals are on the buildings and most of the old buildings were converted into shops
http://www.oldsacramento.com/home.html

3) Is the capital of Cali but I never went inside the capital building.

4) the kings: Is a pro basketball team but what is interesting is it is there only big pro team so people are fanatical about the kings in that area.

5) Highways: highways in northern cali go on for ever and the drive is unlike any other. HWY 1 goes up the coast north to south (called the golden state highway) Hwt 99 goes between the buttes mts and the sierra mts so that you are in a valley and every day on that highway you can see the sun rise or set upon a mountain range. A lot of the smaller roads twist through moutains and such

6) People. Very liberal for the most part---at least compared to Texas but more conservative than Austin. Very distant though and you have to get to know somebody before talking to them

7) the masons. Masonic lodges are frequent and mason membership is high. I saw many many mason lodges in various places and some of the federal buidings in the smaller towns like yuba city were funded with mason money--at least in part.

8) population about 407,000 median age 32 years about 1/2 male 1/2 female whites make up about 48 % of population blacks 15 % asians 16% . The city had a large chinese section and the people as a group were so amazing kind an open. Martial arts schools are everywhere and I think the high asian pop had an early impact on that.
http://sacramento.areaconnect.com/statistics.htm

9) The area was really spread out and one thing that was interesting that I would not have known have I not lived there is that the redneck mentality was very heavy there. The confederate flag was on a lot of trucks with gun racks and many of the locals did not like arabic people. I use to talk to a guy who owned a 7/11 in gridley (60 milies north of sac on 99 but not on most maps) because no other white guys were nice to him.

10) malls ---this might sound funny but the mall in old sac (which was modern not old) had an indoor drive though lane where cars could drive through the actual mall. I was really freak the first time because I was walking through the mall and I look up and a car is driving through.

I only lived in sac for a year.....that was harder to do than austin --which is where i live now...and have for most of my life.

Hope

Princesinha
jewscout said:

Wow, what a small world...I live right outside Richmond as well, Jewscout. I live closer to the West End, in Goochland County. LOL...crazy that there is someone else on here besides myself that knows about Ukrop's! Hee-hee....:biglaugh:

Well, you pretty much listed all the highlights of Richmond, so I don't have to...thanks. It's a nice little city, but not very exciting, I've lived in or near Richmond my whole life, and keep trying to leave. Did for a while--lived 10 months in Scotland--but still came back! Oh well. Still working on it....Goochland is a very nice county, though. Very rural where I live--lots of horse farms, rolling hills, twisty country roads, and pretty scenery. Also lots of wealthy people. Property in Goochland is not cheap. Unfortunately, towards the eastern end of Goochland, there is more and more development going on, which makes me sick. I could rant and rave about that topic...anyway...yeah, that's a little about central Virginia.

There is one thing that wasn't on your list, Jewscout, that for me, at least, is a highlight of Richmond--and that would be Byrd Theatre. I know it's a bit run-down and all, but I love goin there to see movies. Going in there is like stepping back in time. ( It's an old, old theatre in downtown Richmond--very retro and quaint. )

Pah

Uber all member
Hope said:
Wow, what a small world...I live right outside Richmond as well, Jewscout
Jewscout said:
I live just outside of Richmond, Virginia in an area known as Southside
pah said:
I'm south of Southside by about 30 miles

A Jew, A Christian, and an Atheist walked into a bar.....

We can turn that joke into a reality!!!! But I prefer a resturant.

-pah-

jewscout

Religious Zionist
Hope - thanx i forgot about The Byrd, i love going there in the summer and seeing the midnight movie:jiggy:

robtex

Veteran Member
pah said:
A Jew, A Christian, and an Atheist walked into a bar.....

We can turn that joke into a reality!!!! But I prefer a resturant.

-pah-

that was hilarious!!!!! I can't give frubars....my computer won't let me sorry Pah...i want to!!

cardero

Citizen Mod
1. Near Pine Bush, UFO Capital of the US.

2. ABC Pizza (do not let the name put you off, some of the most interesting Pizzas ever made).

3. New Paltz is the last hippie refuge.

4. The mayor of New Paltz performed marriage ceremonies for homosexual couples.

5. October Comics-one of the largest comic shops on the east coast.

6. Wallkill River the only river in the United States that flows INCORRECTLY.

7. Alice Cooper, Robert DeNiro, Todd Rundgren, Floyd Patterson, David Hyde Pierce all live in

HudsonValley /Ulster area.

8. Property taxes and real estate sky high!

9. Seen some great shows at THE CHANCE and the MID HUDSON CIVIC CENTER.

10. People seem very easygoing in our area.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Well, I live in Bournemouth, on the south coast of England (Roughly in the 'middle' of the South) Let me see; 1) There's a population of going on for 30000 (except in the summer when it goes up by the odd four or five thousand) - Language schools. Sometimes, walking down the main road, I hardly see any English people; most are Spanish, South American, I talian, Chinese - you name them, - they are here to learn English!
2) In the winter, there's no one here (well apart from the locals) - all the beach cafes and restaurants close for the winter. This used to be a town where people 'retired to' from elsewhere in England.(The weather being the best where we live)
3) there is unfortunately an awfully large number of 'bad' areas; poverty, drug users, large estates where the kids are thrown out early in the morning and only allowed back in time for bed time. Great Parents!
4)Because we have such a great mix of visitors, there a restaurant for virtually every taste (Marie and I even had a small luch in an Iraqi restaurant last week - I think it is probably an 'acquired taste' - not bad, but not food I would say 'oh great, must go back there'; chinese takeaways, indian takeaways, McDonalds (One of your exports I could do without!), well, basically, we've got 'the lot'
5) Although we live ten minute's walk from the centre of Town, five minutes' walk to a beautiful Park (The one I'm going to take pictures of). We are actually very lucky in that we seem to be right in the middle of a 'triangle' of the shopping centres - ie we are pretty well near anywhere we might want to go shopping
6) Lots of night clubs, Discos (Do they still have discos?)- it can get pretty rough late at night in town! Basically, there's everything you could ask for or need within a couple of kilometers.
7)....I'm running out.Oh yes, lovelly beach, and if you drive out for 1/2 hour along the coast there is a promontory with beautiful views; it also happens to be the point at which there is a 'crossing of lay lines' - very powerful for meditation; the only problem is the wind - it's very exposed; great for dog walking.
8)Only problem with the beach is that the only time you can go on it (without being packed like sardines in a tin), is in the winter. But then, we don't sunbathe any more! - besides which I don't enjoy sand in the sandwiches (say that with you false teeth out!!:jiggy: 8) The 'New forrest' - actually very old, is only about an hour away; again, in the summer, its just not worth going; the traffic is aweful. I guess that's one of the bad points about England - most of the roads were designed way back in the fifties; many of the side roads are too narrow to park cars in, and there's often no drive or garage (Bournemouth is quite old) - actually started as a town because a coastguard back in the late 1800's was sent here to keep an eye on illegal bringing in of booze, tobacco - whatever- that's it contraband! (couldnt think of the word). His was the first house, and it is now the best Hotel right in the centre of town.
9).....I'm really scraping the barrel.No good; can't think of anymore, besides, I ought to go and lay the table for supper, and help Marie.

That was more than I thought I'd be able to write; quite impressed myself!!!!!:jiggy: