• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

10 Teachings of Jesus Challenge

Shuttlecraft

.Navigator
Jesus said- "I cast out devils by the finger of God" (Luke 11:19/20)

jesus-casts_zps67603e18.jpg~original

HeatherAnn

If I say I am Christian some people will expect I believe Jesus is God. Jesus is God's son. I don't think it is wrong to give to Jesus the god position. If he doesn't want it he need not take it. But I wonder if advertising the trinity is sowing for an idol.
I see things similarly.
Personally, I don't like labels... They create division and conclusion where there is none.
I believe and cherish many things written about or by Jesus, but not all.
Some has been warped by human imperfection, so I try to incorporate only truth, wherever it's found.

Shuttlecraft

.Navigator
... can you name, at least, ten different teachings of Christ? I hope you can because Christianity has so much potential that has yet to be fully realized..

Here's another for the collection; a fundy mob wanted to kill a naughty girl under the strict Old Testament laws, but Jesus rescued her, sending out the clear message that the Old T harshness is old hat..:)

JesusAdultrss.jpg

Here are a few more teachings concerning the kingdom rule of Jesus.

1. Let your kingdom come. Let your will be done on earth.( Matthew 6:10)

2. Keep seeking first the kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.(Matthew 6:33)

3. This is why I say to you, the Kingdom of God will be taken from you and be given to a nation producing its fruits. (Matthew 21:43)

4. And this good news if the kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all nations, and then the end will come. (Matthew 24:14)

5."Then the King will say to those on his right:'Come, you who have been blessed by my Father, inherit the Kingdom prepared for you from the foundng of the world. (Matthew 25:34)

6. And I make a covenant with you, just as my Father has made a covenant with me, for a kingdom. (Luke 22:29)

7:Jesus answered: "My kingdom is no part of this world. If my Kingdom were part of this world, my attendants would have fought that I should not be handed over to the Jews. But as it is, my Kingdom is not from this source." (John 18:36)

8: and from Jesus Christ, "the Faithful Witness," the first born from the dead," and the ruler of the kings of the earth. (Revelation 1:5)

9: and he made us to be a kingdom, priests to his God and Father-yes, to him be the glory and might forever. Amen. (Revelation 1:6)

10: "The one who conquers-I will make him a pillar in the temple of my God, and he will by no means go out from it anymore, and I will write upon him the name of my God and the name of the city of my God, the New Jerusalem that descends out of heaven from my God, and my new name." (Revelation 3:12)

Straw Dog

Good job everyone! I must've started this thread back when I was more angst and antagonistic, but good results none-the-less.

JayJayDee

Avid JW Bible Student
Here's another for the collection; a fundy mob wanted to kill a naughty girl under the strict Old Testament laws, but Jesus rescued her, sending out the clear message that the Old T harshness is old hat..:)

JesusAdultrss.jpg
Me thinks you are a little too influenced by Hollywood portrayals. :p I have not seen a Biblical story told in any Film or TV production that did not mess with the truth in order to tell the story 'a bit better'. Poetic licence is not something one should give to scripture. Once you do that, the truth goes out the window....don't even start with the Bible mini-series. :facepalm:

Me thinks you are a little too influenced by Hollywood portrayals. :p I have not seen a Biblical story told in any Film or TV production that did not mess with the truth in order to tell the story 'a bit better'. Poetic licence is not something one should give to scripture. Once you do that, the truth goes out the window....don't even start with the Bible mini-series. :facepalm:
Many people do not understand that the story of Jesus saving the Adulterous woman never really happened.Or I should say was never really God inspired and written down in the original manuscripts.John 7 ends at verse 52 and John 8 takes up at verse 12.Many bibles have John 7:53-8:1-11.In some you could see where it gives an explanation on how it has been omitted.

Thats why I love the new World Translation of the Holy Scriptures.It has it how it should be.

JayJayDee

Avid JW Bible Student
Many people do not understand that the story of Jesus saving the Adulterous woman never really happened.Or I should say was never really God inspired and written down in the original manuscripts.John 7 ends at verse 52 and John 8 takes up at verse 12.Many bibles have John 7:53-8:1-11.In some you could see where it gives an explanation on how it has been omitted.

Thats why I love the new World Translation of the Holy Scriptures.It has it how it should be.
So many take what is dished up without doing any of their own research. Its a nice story and a powerful message of forgiveness, but if it was not part of the original manuscripts, then as you so rightly said, it was not meant to be part of the gospels. I have no doubt that there are many such incidents that never made it into the Bible canon.

I am sure we will hear many of these accounts in the new world. :)

So many take what is dished up without doing any of their own research. Its a nice story and a powerful message of forgiveness, but if it was not part of the original manuscripts, then as you so rightly said, it was not meant to be part of the gospels. I have no doubt that there are many such incidents that never made it into the Bible canon.

I am sure we will hear many of these accounts in the new world. :)
I agree.It is such a great story of forgiveness:)

Triumphant_Loser

Libertarian Egalitarian

JesusAdultrss.jpg

I'm not even a Christian, and I always loved that story in the Bible.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member

I find his contributions quite refreshing..

Anyways, the OP is 'funny', it assumes a position of knowledge, yet then asks for the interpretations of Xians based only on this parameter of opinion, not a good way to learn much of anything.

roger1440

I do stuff
Hey ya'll!

I suspect that some Christians are kind of hypocritical and don't know **** about the actual teachings of Jesus. This may sound harsh, but it is intentional to drive further investigation. I love mysteries! I really do believe that Jesus, whether historical or mythical, had many teachings to share with humanity. I also believe that most Christians are clueless about said teachings beyond what they believe to be necessary for eternal salvation, which seems pretty selfish.

I hope to be proven wrong. This is kind of a challenge/ game to prove that you can follow Jesus beyond the most shallow mainstream doctrine. So what exactly did Jesus teach? And can you name, at least, ten different teachings of Christ? I hope you can because Christianity has so much potential that has yet to be fully realized. Let us actualize it together!

Thanks!
What you are asking cannot be answered. You are asking for “ten different teachings of Christ”. “Different” implies unique or separate. Everything Jesus had taught is interconnected. He had only taught one thing. This one thing can be sub divided into as many sub divisions as you want. This one thing goes back to the beginning of the Bible.

SoulDaemon

Can't spell any cute, of the book ****, but here are a few thoughts.

"Learn yourselves, what ever it might take from you.

Keep your friends close and don't mistreat them.

Your parents may be the best things you ever had.

You are a pupil and a teacher, regardless of opinions.

Teach yourselves to learn, what ever it takes.

Live as you wish, let others do so too."

I'm not being accurate enough, but i think you get the point.

Shuttlecraft

.Navigator
Jesus said-
“Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it.
But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it" (Matt 7:13/14)

stargate-search_zps3e54b809.jpg~original

Stargate-jungle_zps730b39dd.jpg~original

stargate_world_zps75f6a7d8.jpg~original

Sabour

1- Eternal life was conditioned on obeying the commandments?
2- Serve no other god, except Almighty God, and worship Him without any partners.
3- obey all the commandments
4- forbid bowing down to statues
5- Jesus openly deny divinity
6- Jesus deny any partners (Trinity) with Almighty God
7- Jesus forbid the Christmas tree
8- Jesus teach that males should be circumcised
9- Jesus forbid eating pork
10- Jesus a prophet

Source: Jesus TEST? Why Do Christians Hate it?

Shuttlecraft

.Navigator
I've answered them in red ink, but I think some are possibly trick questions and need a bit of further discussion for clarification..:)

1- Eternal life was conditioned on obeying the commandments? YES
2- Serve no other god, except Almighty God, and worship Him without any partners.YES
3- obey all the commandments YES
4- forbid bowing down to statues YES
5- Jesus openly deny divinity YES
6- Jesus deny any partners (Trinity) with Almighty God YES
7- Jesus forbid the Christmas tree NO
8- Jesus teach that males should be circumcised NO
9- Jesus forbid eating pork NO
10- Jesus a prophet YES

Straw Dog

What you are asking cannot be answered. You are asking for “ten different teachings of Christ”. “Different” implies unique or separate. Everything Jesus had taught is interconnected. He had only taught one thing. This one thing can be sub divided into as many sub divisions as you want. This one thing goes back to the beginning of the Bible.

Is it a thing called love?

Hmm... I don't know that I need a guide to tell me how to love... It comes quite naturally.

It seems my views are swinging even further away from the teachings of Christ these days. So it goes.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Is it a thing called love?

Hmm... I don't know that I need a guide to tell me how to love... It comes quite naturally.

It seems my views are swinging even further away from the teachings of Christ these days. So it goes.

That's my point, I don't thnk it works that way. It is not a matter of 'degrees' whether you are a follower of Jesus, you either are or you aren't imo, it's not a 'list' of things you agree with.