• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

10 Teachings of Jesus Challenge

Straw Dog

That's my point, I don't thnk it works that way. It is not a matter of 'degrees' whether you are a follower of Jesus, you either are or you aren't imo, it's not a 'list' of things you agree with.

Gotcha! I'm definitely not a follower then.

Sabour

I've answered them in red ink, but I think some are possibly trick questions and need a bit of further discussion for clarification..:)

1- Eternal life was conditioned on obeying the commandments? YES
2- Serve no other god, except Almighty God, and worship Him without any partners.YES
3- obey all the commandments YES
4- forbid bowing down to statues YES
5- Jesus openly deny divinity YES
6- Jesus deny any partners (Trinity) with Almighty God YES
7- Jesus forbid the Christmas tree NO
8- Jesus teach that males should be circumcised NO
9- Jesus forbid eating pork NO
10- Jesus a prophet YES

For the parts you said no to, here is a proof from the bible

"Thus says the Lord, Learn not the way of the heathen and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them. For the customs of the people are vain; for one cuts a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe. They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not."
Jeremiah 10:2-4

"And swine, though he divide the hoof, and be cloven-footed, yet he chews not the cud; he is unclean to you. Of their flesh shall you not eat, and their carcass shall you not touch, they are unclean to you."
Leviticus 11:7-8 And Exodus 20:4-5

Genesis 17:10-11 says he did. "This is my covenant, which you shall keep, between me and you and your seed after you. Every man child among you shall be circumcised. And you shall circumcise the flesh of your foreskin; and it shall be a token of the covenant between me and you."

Answer in the Bible:
John the Baptist was circumcised (Luke 1:59) as was Jesus himself (Luke 2:21)

Straw Dog

Yeah, took me awhile to figure that out as well.
I think that perspective is most likely not smiled upon by many Xians, but dude I don't proselytize, so whatever.

Fair enough. Mostly just sharing personal reflection. Thanks for listening!

Shuttlecraft

.Navigator
For the parts you said no to, here is a proof from the bible-
"And swine..Of their flesh shall you not eat.."
Leviticus 11:7-8 And Exodus 20:4-5
Genesis 17:10-11 "Every man child among you shall be circumcised.."
John the Baptist was circumcised (Luke 1:59) as was Jesus himself (Luke 2:21)

Quiz questions quote-
7- Jesus forbid the Christmas tree
8- Jesus teach that males should be circumcised
9- Jesus forbid eating pork

No, it WASN'T JESUS who said not to make Christmas trees, and not to get circumcised, and not to eat pork, it was OTHER PEOPLE who said it..:)

Incidentally Jesus was circumcised as a baby under the Old T ruling, but enlightened Christians knew it was just an unimportant thing-
Paul said "Circumcision is nothing and uncircumcision is nothing. Keeping God’s commands is what counts" (1 Cor 7:19)

Last edited:

Sabour

Quiz questions quote-
7- Jesus forbid the Christmas tree
8- Jesus teach that males should be circumcised
9- Jesus forbid eating pork

No, it WASN'T JESUS who said not to make Christmas trees, and not to get circumcised, and not to eat pork, it was OTHER PEOPLE who said it..:)

Incidentally Jesus was circumcised as a baby under the Old T ruling, but enlightened Christians knew it was just an unimportant thing-
Paul said "Circumcision is nothing and uncircumcision is nothing. Keeping God’s commands is what counts" (1 Cor 7:19)

Why it is found in the bible than? Why is something not important in the bible?

And do you get to choose what to follow between the OT and NT? Did Jesus peace be upon his say that the OT is wrong and the NT is correct?

And who is Paul and how well did he know Jesus peace be upon him ?

Shuttlecraft

.Navigator
..And do you get to choose what to follow between the OT and NT? Did Jesus peace be upon his say that the OT is wrong and the NT is correct?

The Old Testament was often harsh and cruel, so God sent Jesus to give us a softer NEW Testament, and people quickly realised-

"Through Jesus we are saved,and not through Moses" (Acts 13:39)
"Jesus is worthy of more honour than Moses" (Heb 3:3)
"We serve in the new way of the spirit,not in the old way of the written code" (Rom 7:6)
"The epistle of Christ,written not in stone,but in the heart" (2 Cor 3:3)
"The law was given by Moses,but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ" (John 1:17)
"The covenant of which Jesus is mediator is superior to the old one" (Heb 8:6)
"In the past God overlooked such ignorance, but now he commands all people everywhere to repent." (Acts 17:30)

As for Paul, at first he was called Saul and was a bounty hunter rounding up Christians for punishment, but then had a vision of Jesus and changed his name to Paul and became one of the greatest Christians of all..:)

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Why it is found in the bible than? Why is something not important in the bible?

And do you get to choose what to follow between the OT and NT? Did Jesus peace be upon his say that the OT is wrong and the NT is correct?

God obviously changed his mind from the OT to the New Testament and again to the Koran.

Shuttlecraft

.Navigator
The Koran has got plenty of harsh bits, some muslims say "those bits were only meant for muslims who lived in Mohammeds time"
But other muslims say "No, those bits are also meant for modern muslims today"
Which muslims are correct?

Alceste

Vagabond
I skipped the thread to see what I remember.

Love God.
Love your neighbour.
Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.
Turn the other cheek.
If a man asks you to walk a mile for him, walk two.
Don't do your banking in church.
It's easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter heaven.
Take the log out of your eye before you start pulling splinters out of the eyes of others.
If a man asks for your coat, give him your shirt too.
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach him how to fish and he'll eat forever.

That last one might have been Arrested Development.

InChrist

Free4ever

I think Jesus gave several important teachings, many of which others have already pointed out. But I believe the most important message He had to give share was the gospel message or good news that He came to pay for the sins of the world and offer eternal life of freedom, rest, and peace with God for all who come to Him and trust Him as their Savior.

Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. John 14:6

For this is My blood of the new covenant, which is shed for many for the remission of sins. Matthew 26:28

Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 2Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. Matthew 11:28-29

You search the Scriptures, for in them you think you have eternal life; and these are they which testify of Me. But you are not willing to come to Me that you may have life. John 5:39-40

Sabour

The Old Testament was often harsh and cruel, so God sent Jesus to give us a softer NEW Testament, and people quickly realised-

"Through Jesus we are saved,and not through Moses" (Acts 13:39)
"Jesus is worthy of more honour than Moses" (Heb 3:3)
"We serve in the new way of the spirit,not in the old way of the written code" (Rom 7:6)
"The epistle of Christ,written not in stone,but in the heart" (2 Cor 3:3)
"The law was given by Moses,but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ" (John 1:17)
"The covenant of which Jesus is mediator is superior to the old one" (Heb 8:6)
"In the past God overlooked such ignorance, but now he commands all people everywhere to repent." (Acts 17:30)

As for Paul, at first he was called Saul and was a bounty hunter rounding up Christians for punishment, but then had a vision of Jesus and changed his name to Paul and became one of the greatest Christians of all..:)

So many points I disagree on. Jesus peace be upon him himself said that he came not to destroy the law of prophets but came to fulfill it. He also teached no other form of salvation which is following the commandments

Sabour

God obviously changed his mind from the OT to the New Testament and again to the Koran.

It is not mind changing. It is according to the plan Allah had for us and the sequence of prophet and revelations Allah sent to us

Sabour

The Koran has got plenty of harsh bits, some muslims say "those bits were only meant for muslims who lived in Mohammeds time"
But other muslims say "No, those bits are also meant for modern muslims today"
Which muslims are correct?

There are some verses talking about some events that occured in the life of out prophet. These are found in the Quraan for us to learn from.

roger1440

I do stuff
Is it a thing called love?

Hmm... I don't know that I need a guide to tell me how to love... It comes quite naturally.

It seems my views are swinging even further away from the teachings of Christ these days. So it goes.
It could be called love. It goes by many names. Love is when we attach ourselves to something else. The outside world is much closer to us than most of us realize. Our English word religion literally means reunite. The word implies there was a time when we were united. In a way, religion is a road back to whence we came from. Call it the Garden if you like, paradise.

Shuttlecraft

.Navigator
(Jesus) also teached no other form of salvation which is following the commandments

Following the 10 Commandments is not enough, for example Jesus said-
"If you do not believe that I am the one I claim to be, you will indeed die in your sins." (John 8:24)
Muslims don't believe he was the Son of God, so they can argue it out with him when they meet him..:)

Alceste

Vagabond
"If you do not believe that I am the one I claim to be, you will indeed die in your sins." (John 8:24)
Muslims don't believe he was the Son of God, so they can argue it out with him when they meet him..:)

I don't believe he is God either, but if I ever meet him I expect him to turn the other cheek, forgive, love me as his neighbour, yada yada yada, just as he instructed all of us to do.

Sabour

I explained already that our only problem is with the word "Begotten". This is a word against God himself.

The key words in the verse you quoted are " THE ONE I CLAIM TO BE"

Jesus peace be upon him never claimed divinity.

You said that Muslims can argue it out with him when they meet him. If you are mentioning his second coming than "Christians" are the one that will argue.

Mathew 7

21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.