• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

“The Son is equal to his Father”

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
Yes, I know what the message supposedly is. Mark has Jesus use the image of the fig tree to make plain that, since Jerusalem did not produce the fruits needed by God, will fall and the Jewish nation be brought to an end before their generation passes away. And everybody thought that Jesus was prophesying the future.
That is why I wrote to you that this story (fig tree) probably never happened.
You see Mark and Matthew were writing history, they did not present a prophecy by Jesus. Both their gospels were written, AFTER the fall of Jerusalem and the destruction of the Temple. So most likely Mark invented the story of the fig tree and we all know that Matthew partly based his gospel on Mark's. Have a nice day!

P.S. There is no mentioning of forgiving others in the fig tree story.
I'm glad you brought it up about the account as I looked further into it. It was helpful to me. Matthew 7--15Beware of false prophets. They come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravenous wolves. 16By their fruit you will recognize them. Are grapes gathered from thornbushes, or figs from thistles? 17Likewise, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. 18A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit. 19Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20So then, by their fruit you will recognize them.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
Yes, I know what the message supposedly is. Mark has Jesus use the image of the fig tree to make plain that, since Jerusalem did not produce the fruits needed by God, will fall and the Jewish nation be brought to an end before their generation passes away. And everybody thought that Jesus was prophesying the future.
That is why I wrote to you that this story (fig tree) probably never happened.
You see Mark and Matthew were writing history, they did not present a prophecy by Jesus. Both their gospels were written, AFTER the fall of Jerusalem and the destruction of the Temple. So most likely Mark invented the story of the fig tree and we all know that Matthew partly based his gospel on Mark's. Have a nice day!

P.S. There is no mentioning of forgiving others in the fig tree story.
It was in another mention of it and I'm glad I read it because it can be very hard to forgive others sometimes. So Jesus likened that to deep faith. Mark 11--
20As they were walking back in the morning, they saw the fig tree withered from its roots. 21Peter remembered it and said, “Look, Rabbi! The fig tree You cursed has withered.”
22“Have faith in God,” Jesus said to them. 23“Truly I tell you that if anyone says to this mountain, ‘Be lifted up and thrown into the sea,’ and has no doubt in his heart but believes that it will happen, it will be done for him. 24Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.
25And when you stand to pray, if you hold anything against another, forgive it, so that your Father in heaven will forgive your trespasses as well."

Ajax

It was in another mention of it and I'm glad I read it because it can be very hard to forgive others sometimes. So Jesus likened that to deep faith. Mark 11--
20As they were walking back in the morning, they saw the fig tree withered from its roots. 21Peter remembered it and said, “Look, Rabbi! The fig tree You cursed has withered.”
22“Have faith in God,” Jesus said to them. 23“Truly I tell you that if anyone says to this mountain, ‘Be lifted up and thrown into the sea,’ and has no doubt in his heart but believes that it will happen, it will be done for him. 24Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.
25And when you stand to pray, if you hold anything against another, forgive it, so that your Father in heaven will forgive your trespasses as well.
You are right....It's further down...

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
There is the initial 10 (exodus, duet)
Then per jesus mark 10: 17-19, Luke 18.
There is a difference, but few notice the purpose.
Letters between churches (romans) are not gospel, nor applicable.
OK.. And jesus confirmed that keeping the commandments is the best choice.
NEw? Everyone has a NEW. Personal responsibility, is about universal!
Great, It's hard to even live in a civil society without keeping the basic rules (commandments)
Golden rule, has existed in many cultures. Glad to see that you like it.
Not sure how to observe that.
Either way, the person must maintain personal responsibility.
OK........ Follow the rules!
Basic common sense, for any civil person.
Besides the first Ten there is a number 11,12, 13, 14, etc. up to 600 plus.
We can observe Jesus' New Commandment of John 13:34-35 to be willing to die for another - John 15:12-14; 1st John 3:16
Yes, personal responsibility as found at Philippians 2:12 B to work out one's salvation.........

Soapy

Son of his Father: The Heir and Prince
no one said it was .. but it is a credible explanation for why YHWH was substituted for the word God when the text was created. What is not "Credible" .. in serious circles .. is that Moses wrote the firsts 5 books .. expecially Genesis ..parts of which were written .. myths and folklore that was in existence thousands of years prior to Moses putting pen to paper - or sorry .. what every you call the stylists used for making cunieniform impressions.

Regardless - none of the above navel gazing has anything to do with your inability to support your claim .. and provide us with what you think is the proper translation for the passage -

Here is the passage you claim is mistranslated and contains a rhetorical question .. Exodus 6:2

“I am YHWH [e] 3 I appeared to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob as[f] El Shaddai,[g] but by my name YHWH[h] I was not known to them.

Tell us what is Bollocks now ? where is your translation of this passage which contains a rhetorical question .. and where YHWH was known to the Patriarchs by his name YHWH.

What part of .. Abraham did not worship the God named YHWH .. do you not understand ? .. and in terms of credible scholarship .. of the non Bullocks variety .. what part of --- It is now generally recognized that EL was the God of Abraham --- are you not understanding ? Theology is beyond that .. and into reconciliation with Doctrine - Understanding God -- "The God" of the Bible as being a fusion of the traits of "The Supreme One" and YHWH .. and a variety of other complicated scenarios.. none of which matters to the fact that The Bible - Biblical Archaeology - History - Religious History .. tell us that EL was the "Most High" God. There was no YHWH -as the Most High God .. to Abe or any of the peoples around Abe that we have ever encountered.. and this is not about an argument from ignorance .. because we know what God's they did believe in .. thousands of them .. on the lower elevation but at the top of the Food Chain .. Everyone believed at the Time of Abe that EL - or some derivation of EL -- Enlil over in Babylon .. Ellil in other places ..

El was the Chief God on Earth -- This the story Abe was Brought up with .. and the story he believed. .. What Abe dispensed with was the worship of other Gods.. meaning God's other than the "Most High" El Elyon - "The Supreme One" EL Oliun - High God/Mountain God - EL Shaddai .. EL was known as the God who lived top of a mountain in a Tent .. EL Shaddai according to Canaanite religious belief .. and well .. Abe came into the land of Canaan.. the Most High El Shaddai having proceeded him .. having already set up a Priesthood in Jersusalem .. Salem - City of Peace.

Jerusalem was a very small city at this point .. way way up in the hills ... more of a fortified Holy Place .. a Holy city of the Canaanites who's Patron God was Zedek .. a twin God befitting the city of Peace .. these twins the Gods of Justice and Righteousness.

These twin Gods would have a seats at the Table of the Divine Council .. adjunct EL -- head of the divine council .. that we find in Psalm 82 - and in every other Nation's religion. This structure believed by every nation at the time .. not unique to the for-fathers of the Israelits .. EL was also known as "God of the Patriarchs" "Father" - "Creator" ... it doesn't take a Rocket Scientist to Recognize EL in his Son YHWH. Told us in Psalm 82 - Deuteronomy 3:8 (proper translation = something older than MT - Masoretic Text - the Other divinities Removed Edition)

Psalm 82 you can read as is in good modern Translation with footnotes .. New English Translation for example Bible Gateway passage: Psalm 82 - New English Translation

YHWH stands in[b] the assembly of El;[c] in the midst of the gods[d] he renders judgment.

YHWH is standing in the midst of the Divine Council of EL - and in the midst of the Gods.

Hello .. Ebionite .. Hello .. ? Let us not cherry pick this part of the post out .. the part where you explain what YHWH and EL are doing together in the same room .. and who all these other Gods are.

Oh .. but wait .. we have a footnote to help you Ebionite -- The psalmist pictures God standing in the “assembly of El” where he accuses the “gods” of failing to promote justice on earth.

EL .. was the Most High God of the Patriarchs .. Now the Priest-Kings of the day would name themselves after the Patron God of the City .. or some related Most High God of the City .. and things were no different in Jerusalem .. Holy City of Peace .. where God Most High had gone long before Abraham and set up a Priestly Order .. an order that later was recognized as the Order of Melchi-Zedek

This Priestly order is still around in Jerusalem 800 years later when David takes over .. the King at the time named Adoni-Zedek "my God is Zedek". The Jebusite High priest of the time .. was kept on by David .. becoming the High Priest over all Israel .. the Priest who annoints the head of the Great King Solomon

Thus when Abe and Melchi-Zedek give praises to "El Oliun" - EL Supreme - the name of the God they are worshiping is EL -- Enlil from way back in UR .. Same Semetic Most High God .. Chief God over the Earth at the time.

We see this same epithet "EL Oliun" = EL Supreme -- God Supreme .. in Psalm 82 .. when YHWH refers to these other Gods he is battling as "Sons of the Supreme one" Sons of El Oliun"

The Big problem here friend --- is that if you say that YHWH is EL .. then this means that the "Sons of the Supreme one" are then Son's of YHWH . and that completely doesn't work .. a discussion you can read at the Journal of Hebrew Scriptures .. in case the Bullocks is not working out for you ! El as the Speaking Voice in Psalm 82:6-8
YHWH was substituted for the word God when the text was created.
‘YHWH’ is the personal NAME for THE GOD worshipped by the Israelites / Jews.

‘YHWH’ is not a substitute for ‘GOD’:
  • E.g. ‘I am your GOD… YHWH is my name for all eternity’
ALL ethereal Spiritual leaders (Deities) are called ‘GOD’s.

What is substituted is THE NAME (‘YHWH’) of the God (Deity) of the Israelites by the LETTERS ‘LORD’ (a TITLE) in all capitals BY BIBLE TRANSLATORS. The purpose of which was so as not to SPEAK the NAME (‘YHWH’) BUT REALLY it was to cause confusion with the TITLE (‘Lord’ - with only first letter capitalised!!) of ANYONE IN AUTHORITY IN ANY CLASS OF BEING.

Sargonski

‘YHWH’ is the personal NAME for THE GOD worshipped by the Israelites / Jews.

‘YHWH’ is not a substitute for ‘GOD’:
  • E.g. ‘I am your GOD… YHWH is my name for all eternity’
ALL ethereal Spiritual leaders (Deities) are called ‘GOD’s.

What is substituted is THE NAME (‘YHWH’) of the God (Deity) of the Israelites by the LETTERS ‘LORD’ (a TITLE) in all capitals BY BIBLE TRANSLATORS. The purpose of which was so as not to SPEAK the NAME (‘YHWH’) BUT REALLY it was to cause confusion with the TITLE (‘Lord’ - with only first letter capitalised!!) of ANYONE IN AUTHORITY IN ANY CLASS OF BEING.

Debatable on the "Personal Name" part but granted for now -- and we have to name Yahu of the Shasu something .. Patron War God of the Midianites .. some kind of identifier for this God .. YHWH .. but this is certainly not the only God worshiped by the Israelites .. first and formost the God that Goes by the name Lord Jealous .. a Loki type - Remus and Romulous type Jeckle and Jeckle Twin God.

That an numerous other Gods worshiped by the Israelites -- for the entirety of their History .. which ended officialy with the fall of the Northern Kingdom .. the Death of the YHWH Cult .. a little later via Marduk showing up and destroying the place where the name of the God Resided.

and with that YHWH was officially dead .. Marduk the Chief God on Earth .. winning the battle between the 70 sons of EL .. and those of EA .. YA - YA - AH - AH- AH - LA .. sorry .. meant EA .. Enki .. Brother of EL - Enlil

but -- that YHWH is dead friend .. What Judaism resurrects out of the Ashes .. is not the same fella.. or didn't you notice ?

Ponder if you will who the God of Jesus is - assuming his God is that of his Priesthood .. a Priest forever in the Order of Melchi-Zedek
but never mind "The Messiah" - Annointed one of God in the time of the Romans .. he had no influence on Judaism .. he had influence in Christianity .

The Christ of Judaism .. The Messiah .. Annointed one of God .. is King Cyrus of Persia --and out of this Messiah .. and the religious beliefs and God of that Messiah .. was the Religion of Judaism born .. and the God of this new religion was Adopted .. Monotheistic for the first time .. a clear break from anything Israelite .. which was never monotheism...

YHWH - and the other Gods .. anthropomorphic .. battling over who gets to be chief God over the Earth- is not on the same level as the Primordial God ... (s?) ... Such monotheistic concept of God the Primordial one ... uncreated .. sex-less God of Zoroaster --- delightfully named after a car- Ahura Mazda.... God who annointed Cyrus.

Search your feelings luke .... you know it to be true ..

Soapy

Debatable on the "Personal Name" part but granted for now -- and we have to name Yahu of the Shasu something .. Patron War God of the Midianites .. some kind of identifier for this God .. YHWH .. but this is certainly not the only God worshiped by the Israelites .. first and formost the God that Goes by the name Lord Jealous .. a Loki type - Remus and Romulous type Jeckle and Jeckle Twin God.

That an numerous other Gods worshiped by the Israelites -- for the entirety of their History .. which ended officialy with the fall of the Northern Kingdom .. the Death of the YHWH Cult .. a little later via Marduk showing up and destroying the place where the name of the God Resided.

and with that YHWH was officially dead .. Marduk the Chief God on Earth .. winning the battle between the 70 sons of EL .. and those of EA .. YA - YA - AH - AH- AH - LA .. sorry .. meant EA .. Enki .. Brother of EL - Enlil

but -- that YHWH is dead friend .. What Judaism resurrects out of the Ashes .. is not the same fella.. or didn't you notice ?

Ponder if you will who the God of Jesus is - assuming his God is that of his Priesthood .. a Priest forever in the Order of Melchi-Zedek
but never mind "The Messiah" - Annointed one of God in the time of the Romans .. he had no influence on Judaism .. he had influence in Christianity .

The Christ of Judaism .. The Messiah .. Annointed one of God .. is King Cyrus of Persia --and out of this Messiah .. and the religious beliefs and God of that Messiah .. was the Religion of Judaism born .. and the God of this new religion was Adopted .. Monotheistic for the first time .. a clear break from anything Israelite .. which was never monotheism...

YHWH - and the other Gods .. anthropomorphic .. battling over who gets to be chief God over the Earth- is not on the same level as the Primordial God ... (s?) ... Such monotheistic concept of God the Primordial one ... uncreated .. sex-less God of Zoroaster --- delightfully named after a car- Ahura Mazda.... God who annointed Cyrus.

Search your feelings luke .... you know it to be true ..
YHWH, the God of the Israelites, has no other name. There are many TITLES attributed to him because those titles are references to positions of OFFICE. There are MANY who can claim the same position of office which may, and most likely, are not true… hence even YHWH says that there are OTHERS WHO ARE CALLED ‘GODS’ but nevertheless, HE, YHWH, is GREATER THAN ALL WHO CLAIM TO BE SO.

There is no contest about the NAME that the Hebrew deity (worshipped GOD) gave FOR HIMSELF… No one else ever claimed to be called (Claimed that their NAME is…) ‘YHWH’, meaning, ‘I Am [He who never changes]’)… a constant, immutable…

But MANY claim TITLES of GOD, EL, Lord (not ‘LORD’, that’s a defective SUBSTITUTE term by capitalised letters by TRANSLATORS for THE NAME ‘YHWH’… nothing to do with the TITLE of ‘Lord’, which means like: ‘Master’, ‘Majesty’, ‘Sir’, ‘High one’, ‘Mighty one’… hence ‘Lord God’ would be ‘Mighty God’, ‘High God’, ‘Master God’)

Sargonski

YHWH, the God of the Israelites, has no other name. There are many TITLES attributed to him because those titles are references to positions of OFFICE. There are MANY who can claim the same position of office which may, and most likely, are not true… hence even YHWH says that there are OTHERS WHO ARE CALLED ‘GODS’ but nevertheless, HE, YHWH, is GREATER THAN ALL WHO CLAIM TO BE SO.

There is no contest about the NAME that the Hebrew deity (worshipped GOD) gave FOR HIMSELF… No one else ever claimed to be called (Claimed that their NAME is…) ‘YHWH’, meaning, ‘I Am [He who never changes]’)… a constant, immutable…

But MANY claim TITLES of GOD, EL, Lord (not ‘LORD’, that’s a defective SUBSTITUTE term by capitalised letters by TRANSLATORS for THE NAME ‘YHWH’… nothing to do with the TITLE of ‘Lord’, which means like: ‘Master’, ‘Majesty’, ‘Sir’, ‘High one’, ‘Mighty one’… hence ‘Lord God’ would be ‘Mighty God’, ‘High God’, ‘Master God’)

Yes Soapy .. YHWH assumed many Titles .. but YHWH is not the only name for this God .. lest you wish to claim that Jealous is a different God.
and this is just one God of the Israelites .. how many more do you wish to be listed ..

and YHWH is not greater than all of the God's on Earth .. never mind the ones up in the heavens. YHWH is claimed to be Chief God on Earth for a short period of time Psalm 82 .. but then is usurped by another of the "Sons of God" -- The "Most HIgh" God El having 70 sons in the contest.

No one said there was a contest abou tthe name of the hebrew diety YHWH friend .. you need to learn your Bible better. The contest is between the Sons of God to usurp the position of "The Supreme One" -- EL Oliun . YHWH is one of the contestants in this battle .. one of the "Sons of God" fighting for the title of Chief God on Earth .. YHWH loses one battle to the Moabite God Chemosh .. but that did not decide the war. YHWH went on to fight other battles but eventually lost ... his name blotted out of the book of the living.

Modern Scholarship is your friend ! and so are the Gods .. well .. some of them .. maybe :)

Who is the God of the Priests of the Order of Melchi-Zedek ? you forgot to address the identity of this God .. God of Abraham - God of Jesus .. what is the name of this God ? a God in the Israelite Pantheon

Last edited:

Soapy

Yes Soapy .. YHWH assumed many Titles .. but YHWH is not the only name for this God .. lest you wish to claim that Jealous is a different God.
and this is just one God of the Israelites .. how many more do you wish to be listed ..

and YHWH is not greater than all of the God's on Earth .. never mind the ones up in the heavens. YHWH is claimed to be Chief God on Earth for a short period of time Psalm 82 .. but then is usurped by another of the "Sons of God" -- The "Most HIgh" God El having 70 sons in the contest.

No one said there was a contest abou tthe name of the hebrew diety YHWH friend .. you need to learn your Bible better. The contest is between the Sons of God to usurp the position of "The Supreme One" -- EL Oliun . YHWH is one of the contestants in this battle .. one of the "Sons of God" fighting for the title of Chief God on Earth .. YHWH loses one battle to the Moabite God Chemosh .. but that did not decide the war. YHWH went on to fight other battles but eventually lost ... his name blotted out of the book of the living.

Modern Scholarship is your friend ! and so are the Gods .. well .. some of them .. maybe :)

Who is the God of the Priests of the Order of Melchi-Zedek ? you forgot to address the identity of this God .. God of Abraham - God of Jesus .. what is the name of this God ? a God in the Israelite Pantheon
YHWH is not a God on earth.

———————————————-
Please present writings that claim in authority that the Israelites (Children / Descendants of ABRAHAM but SPECIFICALLY JACOB) ever worshipped any other God than the Deity, YHWH.
earth.
———————————————-

Sargonski

YHWH is not a God on earth.

———————————————-
Please present writings that claim in authority that the Israelites (Children / Descendants of ABRAHAM but SPECIFICALLY JACOB) ever worshipped any other God than the Deity, YHWH.
earth.
———————————————-

Sorry no one sent you the memo earlier friend but ... YHWH is a God on earth according to Israelite Scriptures. The whole history of the YHWH Cult given in scripture is the a battle between YHWH and the other Sons of God for the Titlel of Chief God on Earth .. usurping the position previously held by EL -- who now reigns as Supreme One in Heaven -- head of the Divine Council .. the Council of EL .. the twin Gods Justice and Righteousness by his side - Zedek - the Patron God of Jerusalem. Psalm 82 .. Deut 32:8 .. and Genesis 14 - Melchi-Zedek.

Abe and Jacob do not worship a God named YHWH --- In Exodus 6 YHWH himself says .. and I quote "but by my name ‘the YHWH’[h] I was not known to them" referrign to Abraham, Issac and Jacob.

Now .. unless you want to call YHWH a Liar -- the Patriarchs did not know or worship a God named YHWH. Modern Theology and Biblical Archaeology tell us the God of Abraham was EL .. Go look up Abraham in the Encyclopedia Brittanica and that is what it will tell you. Abraham as Hebrew patriarch

Brian2

Veteran Member
Abe and Jacob do not worship a God named YHWH --- In Exodus 6 YHWH himself says .. and I quote "but by my name ‘the YHWH’[h] I was not known to them" referrign to Abraham, Issac and Jacob.

Now .. unless you want to call YHWH a Liar -- the Patriarchs did not know or worship a God named YHWH. Modern Theology and Biblical Archaeology tell us the God of Abraham was EL .. Go look up Abraham in the Encyclopedia Brittanica and that is what it will tell you. Abraham as Hebrew patriarch

Ex 6:2 God also told Moses, “I am the LORD. 3I appeared to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob as God Almighty, but by My name the LORD I did not make Myself known to them. 4I also established My covenant with them to give them the land of Canaan, the land where they lived as foreigners.…

The God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob is YHWH according to YHWH.

Sargonski

Ex 6:2 God also told Moses, “I am the LORD. 3I appeared to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob as God Almighty, but by My name the LORD I did not make Myself known to them. 4I also established My covenant with them to give them the land of Canaan, the land where they lived as foreigners.…

The God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob is YHWH according to YHWH.

perhaps you are confused by the Text substituting "The Lord" for the Name YHWH. When you do this the text reads "by my name YHWH I did not make myself known to them"

According to Abraham, Isaac, Jacob -- the God they worship is not named YHWH -- and YHWH confirms this.

Brian2

Veteran Member
perhaps you are confused by the Text substituting "The Lord" for the Name YHWH. When you do this the text reads "by my name YHWH I did not make myself known to them"

According to Abraham, Isaac, Jacob -- the God they worship is not named YHWH -- and YHWH confirms this.

No I'm not confused. YHWH appeared to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob as God Almighty.

Sargonski

No I'm not confused. YHWH appeared to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob as God Almighty.

What part of Abraham, Isaac, Jacob -- did not know that the God they were worshiping was named YHWH.. is not registering ?

You can hypothesize that YHWH was going around in disguise if you like .. but, Abe, Isaac and Jacob did not know that the God they were worshiping had a second name - YHWH ... as stated by YHWH in Exodus 6 .. "I appeared to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob as[f] God Almighty,[g] but by my name YHWH’[h] I was not known to them"

"God Almighty" .. is not a name .. it is an epithet for the High Canaanite God EL .. a poorly translated epiphet "EL Shaddai" .. which means a whole lot more than God Almighty. El Elyon is another epithet for EL meaning God Most High. Regardless .. these are epithets for EL.

So lets us get your non confusing story straight.

YHWH - Appeared to Abe, Jacob and Isaac but was impersonating the Canaanite High God EL .. and so Abe and kin did not know it was YHWH they were worshiping .. the Second name God likes to use .. but EL.

Last edited:

Brian2

Veteran Member
What part of Abraham, Isaac, Jacob -- did not know that the God they were worshiping was named YHWH.. is not registering ?

You can hypothesize that YHWH was going around in disguise if you like .. but, Abe, Isaac and Jacob did not know that the God they were worshiping had a second name - YHWH ... as stated by YHWH in Exodus 6 .. "I appeared to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob as[f] God Almighty,[g] but by my name YHWH’[h] I was not known to them"

"God Almighty" .. is not a name .. it is an epithet for the High Canaanite God EL .. a poorly translated epiphet "EL Shaddai" .. which means a whole lot more than God Almighty. El Elyon is another epithet for EL meaning God Most High. Regardless .. these are epithets for EL.

So lets us get your non confusing story straight.

YHWH - Appeared to Abe, Jacob and Isaac but was impersonating the Canaanite High God EL .. and so Abe and kin did not know it was YHWH they were worshiping .. the Second name God likes to use .. but EL.

In Ex 6, YHWH is saying that He appeared to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob but did not tell them that His name was YHWH, rather He said that He was God Almighty.
That is how I understand it.
I don't think YHWH was impersonating the Canaanit High God El.

Sargonski

In Ex 6, YHWH is saying that He appeared to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob but did not tell them that His name was YHWH, rather He said that He was God Almighty.
That is how I understand it.
I don't think YHWH was impersonating the Canaanit High God El.

No .. he does not say he is God Almighty ... The word is EL Shaddai .. an epithet which has many literal meanings Twin Peaks -High in the Mountains .. more "God Most High" rather than God Almighty . but the mountain reference is because EL lived in a Tent high in the Mountains.

Regardless of the literal meaning .. of which there are many possibilities .. this was an Epithet for EL -- the high God of the Canaanites. .. so Yes .. this is YHWH impersonating EL .. at least according the scholarly Theological consensus ..

BUT, if you don't think EL .. then what God was YHWH impersonating ? "God Almighty is not a God .. nor the name of a God" .. so which God was YHWH impersonating ?

Your not getting it Brian .. Abe did not know any God named YHWH .. the Most High El Elyon .. Supreme God El Oliun - that Abraham .. Melchi-Zedek .. and everyone else knew .. was The Canaanite High God EL .. High God of Jerusalem and the priestly order ofd Melchi-Zedek.

This God is the same Supreme one "El Oliun" that we find in Psalm 82 .. YHWH is prosecuting the 69 other sons of God .. Sons of the Supreme one.

Thats how the story goes .. Who is the Patron God of a Priest of the Order of Melchi-Zedek -- and who is the Chief God of this order .. ?
Hint .. Zedek are the twin Gods Justice and Righteousness .. seated at the right and left hand of "The Father" .. another Epithet for EL .. fittingly at the Divine Council .. among the Gods.. Zedek is the Patron God of Jerusalem .. City of Peace.

Who is the Most High God of this Priestly Order of Melchi-Zedek ?

Brian2

Veteran Member
No .. he does not say he is God Almighty ... The word is EL Shaddai .. an epithet which has many literal meanings Twin Peaks -High in the Mountains .. more "God Most High" rather than God Almighty . but the mountain reference is because EL lived in a Tent high in the Mountains.

Regardless of the literal meaning .. of which there are many possibilities .. this was an Epithet for EL -- the high God of the Canaanites. .. so Yes .. this is YHWH impersonating EL .. at least according the scholarly Theological consensus ..

BUT, if you don't think EL .. then what God was YHWH impersonating ? "God Almighty is not a God .. nor the name of a God" .. so which God was YHWH impersonating ?

Your not getting it Brian .. Abe did not know any God named YHWH .. the Most High El Elyon .. Supreme God El Oliun - that Abraham .. Melchi-Zedek .. and everyone else knew .. was The Canaanite High God EL .. High God of Jerusalem and the priestly order ofd Melchi-Zedek.

This God is the same Supreme one "El Oliun" that we find in Psalm 82 .. YHWH is prosecuting the 69 other sons of God .. Sons of the Supreme one.

Thats how the story goes .. Who is the Patron God of a Priest of the Order of Melchi-Zedek -- and who is the Chief God of this order .. ?
Hint .. Zedek are the twin Gods Justice and Righteousness .. seated at the right and left hand of "The Father" .. another Epithet for EL .. fittingly at the Divine Council .. among the Gods.. Zedek is the Patron God of Jerusalem .. City of Peace.

Who is the Most High God of this Priestly Order of Melchi-Zedek ?

YHWH appeared to Abraham etc and made Himself known as El Shaddai, God Almighty, the most high God above all other gods.
The was an appropriate introduction to a man who probably believed to those other gods.
Later in the OT we see that these other gods are not really gods (iows that was a corruption of the truth) and that YHWH is the only true God.
Psalm 82 cannot be about other real gods is YHWH is the only true God.

Sargonski

YHWH appeared to Abraham etc and made Himself known as El Shaddai, God Almighty, the most high God above all other gods.
The was an appropriate introduction to a man who probably believed to those other gods.
Later in the OT we see that these other gods are not really gods (iows that was a corruption of the truth) and that YHWH is the only true God.

You are deflecting from the question at hand ...unable to process information before you.

This is not about who you think was the real identity of the God that met Abraham was -- this is about who Abraham thought the God visiting him was. Abraham does not have the benefit of a book with 5th century scribes and redactors substituting the name YHWH for the word God at various places in the text.

The God has introduced himself as the "Most High God" EL Elyon - EL Shaddai -- both terms which are used to describe the Chief God on Earth. (other epithets include EL Elyon "Supreme God" "The Father" , "Creator" , God of the Patriarchs, God who lives high in the mountains in a Tent)

Now to Abraham .. the name of the Chief God on Earth is well known .. not just to Abe but everyone .. and Abe .. as you suggest.. believes in many Gods .. but he chooses to worship only the High God. (EL, Ellil, Enlil) Enlil is the high God of the Pantheon in UR ..where Abe was born .. and first is called by the high God.. This is same God is called EL by the Canaanites -- High God of the Canaanite Pantheon.

Abraham does not know the name YHWH .. Abraham believes the Name of the Most High God is EL ..

Genesis 14:
17 After Abram[aq] returned from defeating Kedorlaomer and the kings who were with him, the king of Sodom went out to meet Abram[ar] in the Valley of Shaveh (known as the King’s Valley).[as] 18 Melchizedek king of Salem[at] brought out bread and wine. (Now he was the priest of EL Oliun )[au] 19 He blessed Abram, saying,

“Blessed be Abram by[av] EL Oliun ,
Creator[aw] of heaven and earth.[ax]
20 Worthy of praise is[ay] EL Oliun
who delivered[az] your enemies into your hand.”
Abram gave Melchizedek[ba] a tenth of everything.

EL Oliun - "EL Supreme" www.scripture4all.org/OnlineInterlinear/OTpdf/gen14.pdf

EL Oliun different epithet than EL-Shaddai .. same most high Canaanite God EL but this time referred to as EL Supreme -- God Supreme - or the Supreme one.

Now Pay attention - This God being worshiped .. is the High God of a Canaanite Priest King .. High priest of the Order of Melchi-Zedek

Whats in a Name Brian ? --- Zedek -- Twin Gods of Justice and Righteousness .. sitting at the right hand of the Supreme God EL as fitting for the Divine Council .. over Which El Elyon Presides .. EL most High.

who is the God of the Priestly order of Melchi-Zedek friend ? and Why is this Melchi-Zedek fellow named after the Patron God of Jerusalem - city of Peace -- Patron God Justice/Righteousness.

Sargonski

Not so my young apprentice We do not learn later in the OT that these other Gods are not really Gods .. Quite the reverse is true for those with eyes not blinded to the truth.

While the decepticons tried to wipe away the polytheistic parts of the story... .. enough remains to find the path to the Truth .. Did you think the greatest of deceivers -- complete with the powers of a God --- was going to show up with horns, red cape and a tail ??

What do the fundamentalists (who have it nearly all wrong but even broken clock right twice a day) say about Sataniel's greatest Trick ? Surely you have heard -- to convince the world that he does not exist ?

but you who says there are no other Gods in the OT .. tell me what you mean by "GOD" ? a definition without which .. one has not the faintest idea what they are saying when they say "No other Gods" which YHWH never says but that is another issue. presuming that this was said somewhere .. it is obviously a falsehood as soon as one gives any reasonable - non moronic - definition for God.

For example == having the ability to - through force of will - reign fire down from the sky -- cause humans to do what you wish -- Levitate himself and other beings .. or inanimate e objects such as chairs .. You get the picture .. "God-Like Powers" some Gods having more power .. others having less.

The powers of Ha Satan are those of a God - as we see in Job -- able to reign fire down from the sky and other Godlike Powers exhibited in the story. The mere fact that The Adversary and Tester of Souls is able to traverse back and forth between heaven in of itself is a divine Power. Do you know any humans that can do this ?

This Son of El Oliun .. Son of God Supreme -- this Tester of Human souls with the powers of as God is sent to test Jesus while in the desert undergoing ritual trial for 40 days ---prior to activation of the all-spark shard recieved at baptism. 1000 years have past .. Ha Satan is now Chief God over all the Earth .. a very powerful God

Would you like examples of other Gods in the OT ? many many are there. What's in a name friend ? What great Most High God do you think the raging pagan SamuEL is named after ? ... as opposed to the Holy Eli-jah das where the rasta com from.

Tell me about the powers of Ha Satan ? give a "non moronic" definition of God .. and how you figure our Good friend Sataniel does not fit the Bill ?