• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

‘Crocodile Hunter’ Steve Irwin dies

Quoth The Raven

Half Arsed Muse
The PM has just been on the news, lamenting his 'good friend' Steve's 'tragic, untimely and freakish' death. Considering how the deceased lived,it would have been far more freakish if he'd died in bed of renal failure at the age of 97.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Quoth_The _Raven said:
Just breaking news here...Steve Irwin - otherwise known as the 'Crocodile Hunter' - was stung by a stingray and died while scuba diving off Cairns today. He was 44.
As tragic as it is, is anyone surprised he was killed by an animal?:run:

The strande thing is that it was not by a crocodile, or snake; his contributions to the eduction and interest in the animal world will ne sorely missed.:(

ayani

now... am i just being a creep or does anyone else find this really, really amusing?

yes, he was a great friend of nature and conservation. cool. he also did some really foolish things around very dangerous animals. for the camera, without a whole lot of percautionary measures.

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
It is very ironic but its an irony everyone predicted, so the irony is for most lost.

I thought when I heard it on the news it was that creepy old Crocodile Dundee fellow, and I thought: my GOD he's still alive? Worse than a Christian church I went to in Croatia. This priest was ancient, he made that service at least 5 times as long as it needed to be.

"Peeace...bee...wwwiith...youu..........God...and...Crrrooatia...!!!"

Anyhow, he mentioned visiting his mother the weekend before in his sermon! And I thought - MOTHER? My God, how old does that woman have to be?

Anyhow, now I know it's that young one, the guy who tried his baby to the alligators. :D Well, it makes me sad. I liked his shows and his work.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Steve Irwin was swimming over the ray and happened to surprise it, the barb did indeed pierce his chest and possibly hit his heart. The venom of ray is injected not through the spine, but through the sheath surrounding the spine. It is a cocktail of mucous (enzymes) as well as serotonin (intense pain) and some vicious necrotizing agents. Even if the spine did not puncture the heart, the pain, swelling and necrotizing effects could have stopped his heart in short order. He was actively filming a segment on dangerous sea creatures, and was very proud of the fact that he had never been envenomated. May he rest in peace.

More information about the mechanics of this at Stingray Injuries.

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
Very sad indeed. He was a good person. His strive to perserve wildlife will be missed. The man had such a passion for what he did. Very sad......:(

kiwimac

Brother Napalm of God's Love
He was an enormously fun person, a man who enjoyed what he did vastly. Be sad folks, a little joy has passed out from the world. We will not see his like again.

Kiwimac

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
kiwimac said:
He was an enormously fun person, a man who enjoyed what he did vastly. Be sad folks, a little joy has passed out from the world. We will not see his like again.

Kiwimac
Agreed.

This unfortunate event has brought a question to my mind that has been haunting me: Why is it always the good ones?

I can think of about 10 people off-hand that the world would be better off without.

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
Bad things happen to good people because only good people can come into these horrible situations and turn them into something great. He led an honorable life and there is no doubt in my mind that the peope who loved him most and were close to him will turn this situation into an even stronger representative of the values of humanity he spend his life trying to promote.

Bastet

Vile Stove-Toucher
NetDoc said:
Steve Irwin was swimming over the ray and happened to surprise it, the barb did indeed pierce his chest and possibly hit his heart. The venom of ray is injected not through the spine, but through the sheath surrounding the spine. It is a cocktail of mucous (enzymes) as well as serotonin (intense pain) and some vicious necrotizing agents. Even if the spine did not puncture the heart, the pain, swelling and necrotizing effects could have stopped his heart in short order. He was actively filming a segment on dangerous sea creatures, and was very proud of the fact that he had never been envenomated. May he rest in peace.

More information about the mechanics of this at Stingray Injuries.
I was watching the current affairs shows here last night, because it was a cert that they'd be covering his death. I was quite disgusted when 'A Current Affair', in the middle of what had been a touching tribute, showed footage of Steve's lifeless body being dragged from the water into the boat. Yes, a camera had been filming when it happened, but was it really necessary to show it on tv? Surely people who wanted to see it could download it on the 'net in short enough order to satisfy. :rolleyes:

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Bastet said:
I was watching the current affairs shows here last night, because it was a cert that they'd be covering his death. I was quite disgusted when 'A Current Affair', in the middle of what had been a touching tribute, showed footage of Steve's lifeless body being dragged from the water into the boat. Yes, a camera had been filming when it happened, but was it really necessary to show it on tv? Surely people who wanted to see it could download it on the 'net in short enough order to satisfy. :rolleyes:
Eeek, that's terrible! :(

GoldenDragon

This is very sad another part of my childhood is gone forever.He had a truly passionate heart and he was very genunine about what he stood up for.
Though,I'd never supect something like a stingray to bring down the might Crocodile Hunter perhaps a croc, a shark,a posionous snake even a jelly fish maybe but a never thought a stingray.
my heart and prayers go out to his family.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
GoldenDragon said:
This is very sad another part of my childhood is gone forever.He had a truly passionate heart and he was very genunine about what he stood up for.
Though,I'd never supect something like a stingray to bring down the might Crocodile Hunter perhaps a croc, a shark,a posionous snake even a jelly fish maybe but a never thought a stingray.
my heart and prayers go out to his family.
After this story broke last night I did some searching to see what a stingray barb looked like. I can see how there would be no problem for it to penetrate a heart. Not sure what type of sting ray this is from but you can see the stingers can be quite large.

stingraybarb-australia.jpg

nutshell

I went to a message board specifically on Steve's death, hoping to find posts similar to what I found here.

That was not the case.

Many people are claiming joy that this great man is dead. They say animals are finally free of his abuse.

Others are just Internet psychopaths. Some described what they would do to his wife and children now that Steve is "out of the way."

I'm sorry to post this here, but I was so upset by what I read. My family has enjoyed his work for quite some time. My wife was in tears when I told her what had happened to our favorite Croc. Hunter.

A

angellous_evangellous

Buttercup said:
After this story broke last night I did some searching to see what a stingray barb looked like. I can see how there would be no problem for it to penetrate a heart. Not sure what type of sting ray this is from but you can see the stingers can be quite large.

stingraybarb-australia.jpg

Buttercup, that one is a fossil - http://tellmewhereonearth.com/Web%20Pages/Fossils/Fossils_Page_3.htm (near the bottom of the page). That one is from a prehistoric stingray! :D

The longest ones today seem to be about three inches.