• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

‘Crocodile Hunter’ Steve Irwin dies

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
angellous_evangellous said:
Buttercup, that one is a fossil - http://tellmewhereonearth.com/Web%20Pages/Fossils/Fossils_Page_3.htm (near the bottom of the page). That one is from a prehistoric stingray! :D

The longest ones today seem to be about three inches.
Not so. They get longer than that. A quote from a Yahoo news article:

"Marine experts say stingrays can deliver horrific, agonizing injuries from the toxin-laden barbs, which can measure up to 20 cm (8 in) in length and cause injuries like a knife or bayonet"

You can read the rest of it here http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060905/people_nm/australia_irwin_dc_12

Steve had pulled the barb out of his chest and then he died. The stingray that stung him was about 220 pounds.

A

angellous_evangellous

Mister_T said:
"Marine experts say stingrays can deliver horrific, agonizing injuries from the toxin-laden barbs, which can measure up to 20 cm (8 in) in length and cause injuries like a knife or bayonet"

But which ones? I haven't found any longer than a few inches in my rather cursory search on google.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
This is terrible news. He really did so much for awareness toward animal welfare and education. My heart goes out to his family and his co-workers.

Peace,
Mystic

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
nutshell said:
I went to a message board specifically on Steve's death, hoping to find posts similar to what I found here.

That was not the case.

Many people are claiming joy that this great man is dead. They say animals are finally free of his abuse.

Others are just Internet psychopaths. Some described what they would do to his wife and children now that Steve is "out of the way."

I'm sorry to post this here, but I was so upset by what I read. My family has enjoyed his work for quite some time. My wife was in tears when I told her what had happened to our favorite Croc. Hunter.
Mister_T said:
I can think of about 10 people off-hand that the world would be better off without.
That number just got bigger.

I too have encountered such despicable people. I came across people that were even making fun of his death.

Words can't describe my disgust.

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
But which ones? I haven't found any longer than a few inches in my rather cursory search on google.
The article said it was a bull stingray. Apparently they get quite big.

lizskid

BANNED
That is a shame that some are being so callous to his accidental death. The chances of that exact thing happening again are SO rare. To have hit him in the heart, when he wasn't even interacting with it....he seemed like a fun, nice guy who was truly in love with animals and his family.

Quoth The Raven

Half Arsed Muse
The guy from Sydney Aquarium was on TV Monday night with a couple of barbs...a two inch one, which he said was typical, and one he said came from,'That big girl up there', that big girl being an enormous ray with a close to 2 metre wing span, sitting on the top of the tunnel he was standing in...that was about 8 inches long.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Quoth_The _Raven said:
The guy from Sydney Aquarium was on TV Monday night with a couple of barbs...a two inch one, which he said was typical, and one he said came from,'That big girl up there', that big girl being an enormous ray with a close to 2 metre wing span, sitting on the top of the tunnel he was standing in...that was about 8 inches long.
The other night when the story broke and I found that picture I noticed there were very, very few pics of stingray barbs. Tonight....there are quite a few more. I had no idea that was a fossil....still, an 8 inch barb wouldn't be much shorter.

Quoth The Raven

Half Arsed Muse
nutshell said:
I went to a message board specifically on Steve's death, hoping to find posts similar to what I found here.

That was not the case.

Many people are claiming joy that this great man is dead. They say animals are finally free of his abuse.

Others are just Internet psychopaths. Some described what they would do to his wife and children now that Steve is "out of the way."

I'm sorry to post this here, but I was so upset by what I read. My family has enjoyed his work for quite some time. My wife was in tears when I told her what had happened to our favorite Croc. Hunter.
You should have seen Germaine Greer on one of the current affairs shows tonight...what a venemous, bitter old ***** she proved herself to be.:sarcastic The impression she gave was that having left the country because no-one likes her here, she resented Steve Irwin because she as an 'intellectual' wasn't appreciated by her country, while an idiot like him was popular. We should all be embarrassed for lamenting his loss, apparently. He got what he deserved, having harrassed the animal kingdom as he did for so many years.
Funny how she didn't mention all the money he spent (his personal funds) buying huge tracts of land all over the place so that they could remain unspoiled refuges for local creatures. Sounds like a fair prick to me.:rolleyes:

kiwimac

Brother Napalm of God's Love
I think Ms. Greer was annoyed that she has not been in the news recently. Now to things of greater import than Germaine Greer. if anyone here would like to leave Terri and Bindi and Bob a message of sympathy, you can do it here

!Fluffy!

Lacking Common Sense
kiwimac said:
if anyone here would like to leave Terri and Bindi and Bob a message of sympathy, you can do it here
kiwi thank you for the link, it says they are all going into a book of condolences for Terri.

My husband and I were chatting away in the car coming home from our trip when we heard the news.

We were so shocked and sad it was hard to speak. We had to check with each other to see if we had heard right, "Oh God, not Steve the crocodile guy? Krikey Steve? No, no, no ..." Man we just couldn't believe it.

I have no doubt Terri will be surrounded by supportive friends and family yet - have no idea how she will get through this after being married to a man so full of life and energy. That emptiness for her will be so, so hard. Can you imagine.

We are praying for that little family, they have lost so much. We are just glad they have each other.

Bastet

Vile Stove-Toucher
The longest ones today seem to be about three inches.
You'd better tell that to the stingrays, then - cause they obviously don't know they're not supposed to grow more than 3 inches. :rolleyes: They had a guy on tv from some marine place up north, and he had two stingray barbs in his hands (not prehistoric, btw), and one was very small, the other was close in size to the pic Buttercup posted.

Bastet

Vile Stove-Toucher
Quoth_The _Raven said:
You should have seen Germaine Greer on one of the current affairs shows tonight...what a venemous, bitter old ***** she proved herself to be.:sarcastic The impression she gave was that having left the country because no-one likes her here, she resented Steve Irwin because she as an 'intellectual' wasn't appreciated by her country, while an idiot like him was popular. We should all be embarrassed for lamenting his loss, apparently. He got what he deserved, having harrassed the animal kingdom as he did for so many years.
Funny how she didn't mention all the money he spent (his personal funds) buying huge tracts of land all over the place so that they could remain unspoiled refuges for local creatures. Sounds like a fair prick to me.:rolleyes:
Ooh I saw that, I wanted to smack her in the head. :slap:

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Just wanted to put in my two cents- my sister was kind enough to call when she heard the news on the television, knowing that something like that is easier to hear from a family member than on the news. (I've been a fan since high school.) I'm still in shock, I think.

Bastet

Vile Stove-Toucher
FeathersinHair said:
Just wanted to put in my two cents- my sister was kind enough to call when she heard the news on the television, knowing that something like that is easier to hear from a family member than on the news. (I've been a fan since high school.) I'm still in shock, I think.
:hug: I've been thinking about you, Feathers - I remembered how much you liked him.

Quoth The Raven

Half Arsed Muse
Now some cretin is out in Queensland killing rays and leaving their carcasses on the beach with their tails removed. Why are people such idiots?:(

GoldenDragon

yeah I heard about people killing stingrays. Seriously if these people were such great fans of Steve Irwin they would know that killing any animals out of vengenance is NOT what he would have wanted.

Smoke

Done here.
gracie said:
now... am i just being a creep or does anyone else find this really, really amusing?

yes, he was a great friend of nature and conservation. cool. he also did some really foolish things around very dangerous animals. for the camera, without a whole lot of percautionary measures.
I never liked him; I found his Crocodile Hunter show annoying, mostly because of the foolish grandstanding. But no, I didn't find it at all amusing; I thought it was sad. Now, if Dick Cheney were trampled by a deer ...

Quoth The Raven

Half Arsed Muse
MidnightBlue said:
I never liked him; I found his Crocodile Hunter show annoying, mostly because of the foolish grandstanding. But no, I didn't find it at all amusing; I thought it was sad. Now, if Dick Cheney were trampled by a deer ...
Actually, he was like that 24/7. His friends describe him as being like a small child on a perpetual red cordial jag.