• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your First Video Game

Erebus

Either Street Fighter 2 or Killer Instinct.

I was very young but I remember my dad borrowed a Super Nintendo from one of my aunts. We only had it for a short time and I didn't get a console of my own until years later. I'm reasonably sure my first proper console was a Sega Saturn but my memory is hazy.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
What was the first non-arcade video game you played, and what system did you play it on?

Mine was tennis/hockey/handball on the Coleco Telstar.
coleco-telstar.png

Life on a TRS-80.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I think it was at a friend's house playing Ninja (c1986) on a home computer that used a television. It was probably an IBM PCjr. The game was on a cassette tape. It went into what looked exactly like a cassette tape player, but it worked as storage for the computer. The computer controlled the cassette player, much like a later model computer would control a disc drive. At the time I had no idea what a computer was. All I knew was that I wanted to get one.

I could not find a picture, but I think I found a youtube of the game:
Code:
https://youtu.be/kDZ2rKTTCII

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
That may well be the case for @InChrist, but it's not as if I've never attempted such things. On the contrary, I once spent a humiliating afternoon playing some crazed Super Mario game. She may never again look at me with a sense of wonder and respect. :(
Reminds me of my dad trying to use the family computer when we first got it...

"You hit the letter, dad, and then it comes up on the screen."

He spent a very angry half hour trying, and then he didn't use a computer again until, decades later, he decided he wanted to re-marry and needed to use a dating site.

He still couldn't adjust. My sister helped him operate the computer. Once he found a woman he liked, he gave the computer to my sister. (He married the woman.)

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member
MK is quite extreme for one's first VG. :p

‘Quite extreme?’ Lol! When I saw the trailer for the latest version of MK, I was genuinely shocked.

Back then in the 90s, MK was my world. I had the first two video games, the soundtrack on cassette, the first two movies on VHS, a 3D cartoon movie on VHS, and the soundtrack for the first movie on cassette.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
‘Quite extreme?’ Lol! When I saw the trailer for the latest version of MK, I was genuinely shocked.
Back then, blood and gore was not common and very controversial. By today's standards, it's quant.
Back then in the 90s, MK was my world. I had the first two video games, the soundtrack on cassette, the first two movies on VHS, a 3D cartoon movie on VHS, and the soundtrack for the first movie on cassette.

That album was cheesy, but a classic:

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
I wonder if that's called Breakout. I think that's what you mean, there's also a Breakout type game called Warlords, which was actually one of my all time favorites and still is.
the Atari 2600 (I only mention that one because it is the only one of the series I had) has a game called Breakout and a much better one called Super Breakout that like Warlords used the paddle controller