• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yes, I Am an Arab

Politesse

Amor Vincit Omnia
Hmm. I'll have to read more on that. I do recall reading that the English killed a lot of Native Americans. Maybe they killed less than I thought, though.
Certain parties like to pretend that everyone died accidentally from disease. Not true, though. In a time of genocide, diseases are not a meaningless coincidence. By that logic, the Germans are off the hook for a lot of deaths too...

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
Smart Guy

You are the victim of auto correct. "Being an aubergine was not received well in the past alright". I guess it is hard being an eggplant! :)

I'll let you in on a little secret; I intentionally did that. I'm using Firefox on a computer and there is no auto correct :)

Papoon lives in Australia and I think that's what they call an eggplant over there.

The thread seemed to be kinda gloomy and I tend to change such atmosphere when I see one.

Pastek

Sunni muslim
I looked it up in the dictionary. It says Arabs are a member of a panethnic group.
sentence quoted from "Who is an Arab?" http://www.africa.upenn.edu/K-12/Who_16629.html

It sounds a bit like nationalism.

At what point can one call themselves an Arab? Suppose I claim to be an Arab and I even buy myself a camel and say "I'm the first homegrown American Arab!" How am I not an Arab? What if I marry an Arab girl and live in Arabia for a year? What if my great great grandfather was an Arab?

Who is an arab, good question. :)

Some maghrebians -especially the non-muslims refuse to say they are arabs.
There's many websites where they say to us (those who say they are arabs not berbers) even if we were mixed with arabs we are still berbers, and talk badly about arabs of the peninsula.

Also, we reconize black people as arabs without problem (like Sudanese, Mauritanians etc) even if we're not sure if they were mixed or not, only because they say they are and accepted arab as their national/main language.

I saw some years ago a korean who was born and lived in arab countries saying in a video "i said to my arab friends "we the arabs" ".
So he thought he was arab, we didn't say "us the jordanians, the saudis".

I think that's interesting because there's a lot of foreign people living in many arab countries since some years now, ans i'm wondering how it will be for them the next years, for their children.

Pastek

Sunni muslim
I live in Australia. When I was growing up in the 50s and 60s, and into the 70s, the term 'mad Arab' was used to refer to any crazy person, or any person perceived as eccentric or strange. Noone ever questioned the racism of the term

I think in one point some words who can be conciderated as racists become usual.
In France we say :
"tête de turque" (turkish head)= victim
"téléphone arabe" (arab's phone)= news/gossips will spread quickly
"du travail d'arabe" (arab's work) = bad work
"faire son feuj/partir comme un feuj" (to act like a jew/to go like a jew)= to be stingy /to go discretly
"une conchita" (portugueses women were generally housekeepers) = to do the cleaning/ to be your servant
"être le nègre de service/l'arabe de service (to be the negro/arab at your service) = to be at your service

etc

psychoslice

Veteran Member
I don't hate Arabs, but how would you feel if your television was full of horrible things that, lets say Christians were doing, or break away Christians, such as shooting down your people, and blowing up people, how would you feel ?.

Draka

Wonder Woman
I don't hate Arabs, but how would you feel if your television was full of horrible things that, lets say Christians were doing, or break away Christians, such as shooting down your people, and blowing up people, how would you feel ?.
Why don't you ask all the Christians in the U.S. that? Seems like everyday we have a shooting here and the culprits are usually white Christian guys. Our tv's aren't filled with Arabs killing and blowing up our people. They're full of psycho white Christians doing it.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
That's historically not accurate. 90% of the Indians/Native Americans died long before a single soul from England set foot on the Continent.
There is a reason why the settlers only encountered small tribes in North America. (inb4 Huron Confederacy)
They all died of the various plagues the Spanish in particular imported. This eventually swapped from Central America to the South and even the North due to the local trade network.

And all the English did to the Native Americans was bring them roses, right?

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Why don't you ask all the Christians in the U.S. that? Seems like everyday we have a shooting here and the culprits are usually white Christian guys. Our tv's aren't filled with Arabs killing and blowing up our people. They're full of psycho white Christians doing it.
So, its white that you don't like, there are white and all other colour Christians if you didn't realize, just as there are with Muslims.

As long as we have hatred, no matter who you are, or whatever religion you are, there will never be peace, are you willing to make a stand and stop the hate ?.

Draka

Wonder Woman
So, its white that you don't like, there are white and all other colour Christians if you didn't realize, just as there are with Muslims.

As long as we have hatred, no matter who you are, or whatever religion you are, there will never be peace, are you willing to make a stand and stop the hate ?.
You spoke of Arabs. We were speaking of Arabs. You switched gears to Christians. So I went with that and clarified white. Do you want me to clarify further? Like Irish or English or Welsh or what?

I didn't know I didn't like whites. Thanks for telling me that. I shall now go and insult myself in the mirror.

The point was you inferred that we see Arabs shooting down and blowing up "our" people as some sort of justification in how people feel about them. Thing is, it isn't Arabs we see doing that. You tried using the example of "what if" Christians were seen doing that. We weren't talking about Muslims though we're we? We were talking about Arabs. You brought religion into this, not I. You posed the "what if" and I pointed out it wasn't a "what if" but what we really are seeing.

Let's try to keep the twisting to the game Twister and leave it out of my posts.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
You spoke of Arabs. We were speaking of Arabs. You switched gears to Christians. So I went with that and clarified white. Do you want me to clarify further? Like Irish or English or Welsh or what?

I didn't know I didn't like whites. Thanks for telling me that. I shall now go and insult myself in the mirror.

The point was you inferred that we see Arabs shooting down and blowing up "our" people as some sort of justification in how people feel about them. Thing is, it isn't Arabs we see doing that. You tried using the example of "what if" Christians were seen doing that. We weren't talking about Muslims though we're we? We were talking about Arabs. You brought religion into this, not I. You posed the "what if" and I pointed out it wasn't a "what if" but what we really are seeing.

Let's try to keep the twisting to the game Twister and leave it out of my posts.
That's fine if you cannot handle the truth, over and out.

Draka

Wonder Woman
That's fine if you cannot handle the truth, over and out.
Which "truth" is that?

That we supposedly see Arabs "shooting down" or "blowing up our people" all over the media?

Or that I hate my own race?

Oh. I'm sorry. You weren't really making a honest substantial statement about anything. You were just trying to verbally slap me by trying to insinuate my reasoning was flawed. Too bad it came off so poorly done. Would you like to try again? Go ahead. See what you can do. Wow me.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Which "truth" is that?

That we supposedly see Arabs "shooting down" or "blowing up our people" all over the media?

Or that I hate my own race?

Oh. I'm sorry. You weren't really making a honest substantial statement about anything. You were just trying to verbally slap me by trying to insinuate my reasoning was flawed. Too bad it came off so poorly done. Would you like to try again? Go ahead. See what you can do. Wow me.
If I wanted to say to you what I want to, I wouldn't last too long here, you are a very angry person who is blinded by your anger, sadly this is part of your belief system, you are frustrated by what is happening around the world, maybe you should take a good look at what is happening and truly ask yourself why it is happening, try that for now.

Draka

Wonder Woman
If I wanted to say to you what I want to, I wouldn't last too long here, you are a very angry person who is blinded by your anger, sadly this is part of your belief system, you are frustrated by what is happening around the world, maybe you should take a good look at what is happening and truly ask yourself why it is happening, try that for now.
Nope. Sorry. This one, though longer, isn't any better. Now instead of trying to insult my reasoning you try to imply I am ruled by an emotion. Not just any emotion, but one I am not having at all right now. That is, unless anger makes you roll your eyes, sigh, shake your head and giggle at lameness.

Not angry. Not lacking in reason or rationality. Just amused that I caught you in ridiculousness the result of which turned out to be your floundering for a competent response.

Now if you're done trying to discredit me as a person perhaps we could eventually get back to the topic at hand. Or, if you're still not done with your ad hominems...that's okay too I guess. I'm going to bed now anyway. Either knock yourself out trying to insult me or get back on topic or just drop it all. I'll check to see what you chose in the morning. ;)

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Nope. Sorry. This one, though longer, isn't any better. Now instead of trying to insult my reasoning you try to imply I am ruled by an emotion. Not just any emotion, but one I am not having at all right now. That is, unless anger makes you roll your eyes, sigh, shake your head and giggle at lameness.

Not angry. Not lacking in reason or rationality. Just amused that I caught you in ridiculousness the result of which turned out to be your floundering for a competent response.

Now if you're done trying to discredit me as a person perhaps we could eventually get back to the topic at hand. Or, if you're still not done with your ad hominems...that's okay too I guess. I'm going to bed now anyway. Either knock yourself out trying to insult me or get back on topic or just drop it all. I'll check to see what you chose in the morning. ;)
Listen bud, what I said from the beginning was the way I saw the situation, it wasn't against you, as I said I don't hate Arabs, you with your anger didn't see what I was trying to say, you started all this crap, and you know what ?......you can have it, its finished, some has to stop this anger, so goodbye.

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
I think you two are misunderstanding each other. I know you both, like you both and know both of you are nice people.

I suggest you both try to give each other the benefit of the doubt and be calm and cool about it. I'm sure there is a common ground you both share.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
I think you two are misunderstanding each other. I know you both, like you both and know both of you are nice people.

I suggest you both try to give each other the benefit of the doubt and be calm and cool about it. I'm sure there is a common ground you both share.
Yes you are right, I never wanted my words to be taken the way they were, I suppose I didn't say the right words ?.