• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UK general election May 2015

Who will you (or are likely to) vote for in the coming UK general election this May?

• Total voters

Altfish

Veteran Member
Biggest downside to STV is that it expects voters to think a bit more deeply.
And that is the reason it will not happen in this country; since 50% must have an IQ less than 100 (Since 100 is the average) too many people would not be able to understand the system.

philbo

High Priest of Cynicism
Not had a letter from the gaffer, but the Tories seem to be using up rain forests in the local election - 3 letters from them so far, none from Labour or the others.
I live in a 100% safe Tory seat - not had anything from them at all. Had local LibDems & Labour around (council ward is a bit more open - LD councillors gone independent (one of whom is ex-Labour anyway), slightly acrimoniously, so lots of split loyalties & voting options)

You have to have a lower limit otherwise you end up with more parties than seats available. 5 or 10% seems reasonable
0.15%?
..or 1/650th :)
Which would be around 50k votes given typical turnout. Though this would cause massive fragmentation in the party system, it'd take until the next election to sort out any kind of coalition

And that is the reason it will not happen in this country; since 50% must have an IQ less than 100 (Since 100 is the average) too many people would not be able to understand the system.
er.. 100 or less (technically less than half will have an IQ of less than 100) </pedant>

It's easy enough to understand (voting 1, 2, 3 etc. in preference order), just that people would have to think about who they're voting for more than they do at the moment. The reason it won't happen is because it makes it easier for people to change their MP without changing party affiliation, and current bunch of turkeys ain't going to vote for Christmas.

Altfish

Veteran Member
#philbo
I'm in a safe Tory seat for the General, but a swing seat for the Council elections; all the correspondence has been local stuff.
Yes, I know about the IQ, realised after I'd typed it and thought, "Nobody will notice" - well done;)
I think the only way to change the system is to 'dumb it down' X-Factor stylie, one voted out each day/hour/week/minute*

*delete as appropriate

philbo

High Priest of Cynicism
#philbo
I'm in a safe Tory seat for the General, but a swing seat for the Council elections; all the correspondence has been local stuff.
Same here, but I've had one national leaflet (Labouir - he's a good chap, shame he's not got a chance. A bit like 2010)

Yes, I know about the IQ, realised after I'd typed it and thought, "Nobody will notice" - well done;)
;)
Pedantry runs in my family

I think the only way to change the system is to 'dumb it down' X-Factor stylie, one voted out each day/hour/week/minute*

*delete as appropriate
Every week, MPs nominate one of their number to face expulsion from the House.. the nominees sit on the Woolsack & talk to the camera about why they should stay..

Has potential. Or what about making it gladiatorial? You stay on as an MP... or you die.. Mwahahahaha

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
Not had a letter from the gaffer, but the Tories seem to be using up rain forests in the local election - 3 letters from them so far, none from Labour or the others.

I think I'm in a marginal constituency, so that's probably why. That means my vote might actually make a difference! ;)

Altfish

Veteran Member
Latest poll...

Conservatives 282
Labour 275
SNP 41
Liberal Democrats 28
DUP 8
Plaid Cymru 3
SDLP 3
UKIP 1
Greens 1
Other 8

Kirran

Premium Member
It's going to be a bit absurd, but I think we could well have a Labour-Nationalists Coalition.

But I am voting Green!

philbo

High Priest of Cynicism
Yes, lots of Scots telling us English what to do! William Wallace would be pleased. :p
It's the West Lothian question on steroids: not just Scottish MPs voting on English matters, but Scottish Nationalist MPs who don't want to be part of the UK voting on English matters.

The Daily Mail'd have an apoplexy

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I'm in Thanet West, which has a strong Kipperati vote (love that term...love it!), and so the Conservative mail-shot has waving union-jacks all over it. If things get any closer Mr Gale (blue) will be appearing with shaved head and bovver boots.
What will the newspapers have to report for the next five years if UKIP don't get some seats?
We need 15 seats of Greens, Kippers, Liberal-thingies, Plaid Cymru(?), SNP and a tied red/blue vote. Preferably with a couple of 'bring back smalltrack rail' MPS............
I'm bored........

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
It's the West Lothian question on steroids: not just Scottish MPs voting on English matters, but Scottish Nationalist MPs who don't want to be part of the UK voting on English matters.
The Daily Mail'd have an apoplexy

They certainly would, the Daily Wail is very good at that. They'll probably "uncover" a conspiracy where Labour ministers are really long-term SNP sleepers, a dastardly plot to make England a feudal province of Scotland, revenge for past history. It's the kind of thing Dr. Evil would dream up actually. ;)

philbo

High Priest of Cynicism
I'm in Thanet West, which has a strong Kipperati vote (love that term...love it!), and so the Conservative mail-shot has waving union-jacks all over it. If things get any closer Mr Gale (blue) will be appearing with shaved head and bovver boots.
What will the newspapers have to report for the next five years if UKIP don't get some seats?
We need 15 seats of Greens, Kippers, Liberal-thingies, Plaid Cymru(?), SNP and a tied red/blue vote. Preferably with a couple of 'bring back smalltrack rail' MPS............
I'm bored........
Could you also elect Al Murray, please

That would liven parliament up no end :)

illykitty

RF's pet cat
Well, I decided I'll vote for the Greens. There's not a chance of them getting into power and I don't agree with them 100% but they're the closest to my ideals. So all I can hope for is for them to have a little influence. I'm not into voting for the lesser of two evils so even if it's unpopular, I'd rather vote Green. Or I wouldn't vote, though I'd rather do.

So imagine there's one more vote for Green up there in the poll. I previously ticked undecided.

Ultimatum

Classical Liberal
Well, I decided I'll vote for the Greens. There's not a chance of them getting into power and I don't agree with them 100% but they're the closest to my ideals. So all I can hope for is for them to have a little influence. I'm not into voting for the lesser of two evils so even if it's unpopular, I'd rather vote Green. Or I wouldn't vote, though I'd rather do.

So imagine there's one more vote for Green up there in the poll. I previously ticked undecided.

What Green policy do you support?