• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trusting the Bible

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
The Bible says, "logos". When the Bible says logos does it mean the written word or the living being, the son of God and how to know? Whenever logos is written HOW do you know if it means the Christ or the Bible? Please answer the question .

I think, personally, that logos cannot mean the literal Bible. I find this concept almost repugnant.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I think, personally, that logos cannot mean the literal Bible. I find this concept almost repugnant.
I shall say it IS repugnant. I think that to teach that the thing the Bible is God's logos is not helping the World but in fact, is making it sick.

I shall go out on a limb once more and call the deifying of it the lawless one of 2 Thessalonians 2:8.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
I shall say it IS repugnant. I think that to teach that the thing the Bible is God's logos is not helping the World but in fact, is making it sick.

I shall go out on a limb once more and call the deifying of it the lawless one of 2 Thessalonians 2:8.
I believe that we are faced with making certain decisions, about how we ''read'', the Bible. The concepts come before the ''teachings''. This is also why I do not put teachings upon the pedestal that many religious people do...if you were trying to warp the religion, what's the best way to go about it? Yep, muddle with the ''teachings''. Other religious paradigms face the same issues.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I believe that we are faced with making certain decisions, about how we ''read'', the Bible. The concepts come before the ''teachings''. This is also why I do not put teachings upon the pedestal that many religious people do...if you were trying to warp the religion, what's the best way to go about it? Yep, muddle with the ''teachings''. Other religious paradigms face the same issues.
Exactly!

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
the works over faith crowd would be literally laughed out of the room by any of the great eastern minds, btw.
One World. But people in their zeal have rushed ahead believing what sounds good and have caused discord and not peace. Getting them to know it is very, very difficult. Is it impossible?

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Great point!

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The Bible is not a living thing. They say it is, because they quote Hebrews which says the word of God is alive Hebrews 4:12. It isn't alive thus it can't be the way and the truth because it isn't the life. People's lives are not dependent on it.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
How on earth would I know his credentials? Talk about laughable.
Well,
  • you could ask, or
  • you could check the "Information" available here,
but you seem uninterested in such scrutiny.

But be very clear: your sophomoric jabs at AE serve to make you look silly.

Last edited by a moderator:

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
How was my comment untrue? You didn't even provide an argument refuting my comment. Are we forbidden from offering comments to certain people?
He means the man's life is about scrutinizing scripture. But you were not saying it to him. I know you were stating what you believe it should be and I agree with you. I think they might agree with you too. You have been dragged off topic like so many of us have been many times.

A

angellous_evangellous

How do you equate unknown authors who claim to speak for God with pieces of art and music? They aren't claiming that your salvation is riding on their art. Any writing that claims divine inspiration should be examined with extreme scrutiny, as so many have claimed this.

Well, there are many points of contact between "the Bible" and art and music.

For one thing, the Bible and all of its claims to truth / divine inspiration (which are not many, and certainly do not mean what Christians often claim) are not logical arguments and therefore are subject to other forms of scrutiny. Like art and music - which also are not logical arguments - religions are intended to be experienced, not scrutinized as if it were something "reasonable" like a secular philosophy or scientific document.

We do not have the original manuscripts of the Bible -- not one of them. So all we have is the performance -- and I believe that art and music only exist in their performances, not in any other form that they might take. A CD containing a recording of Bach or a sheet of music cannot be experienced as Bach intended -- it can only be experienced when it is performed (or replayed, as the case may be).

That was my original point: if someone cannot appreciate the truth in art and music, they cannot experience any truth in Scripture. Artlessness is artlessness.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Well, there are many points of contact between "the Bible" and art and music.

For one thing, the Bible and all of its claims to truth / divine inspiration (which are not many, and certainly do not mean what Christians often claim) are not logical arguments and therefore are subject to other forms of scrutiny. Like art and music - which also are not logical arguments - religions are intended to be experienced, not scrutinized as if it were something "reasonable" like a secular philosophy or scientific document.

We do not have the original manuscripts of the Bible -- not one of them. So all we have is the performance -- and I believe that art and music only exist in their performances, not in any other form that they might take. A CD containing a recording of Bach or a sheet of music cannot be experienced as Bach intended -- it can only be experienced when it is performed (or replayed, as the case may be).

That was my original point: if someone cannot appreciate the truth in art and music, they cannot experience any truth in Scripture. Artlessness is artlessness.
Oh, my mistake. I agree. I thought you were claiming the opposite. That those who can't see truth in scripture also can't see truth in art.