• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trusting the Bible

jojom

If the Bible is not 100% accurate in what it says, then how can you trust it at all? If small, insignificant verse #6 is wrong, then how can you put your faith in the belief that immensely important verse #22 is right? So isn't inerrancy mandatory?

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
If the Bible is not 100% accurate in what it says, then how can you trust it at all? If small, insignificant verse #6 is wrong, then how can you put your faith in the belief that immensely important verse #22 is right? So isn't inerrancy mandatory?

what sort of inaccuracies are you referring to?

Do you mean spelling errors, poorly translated verses, contradicting statements??? And do you have any examples you want to discuss?

jojom

what sort of inaccuracies are you referring to?

Do you mean spelling errors, poorly translated verses, contradicting statements??? And do you have any examples you want to discuss?
Not spelling or grammar mistakes, because these could be printer errors. But any other kind of inaccuracy at all. If there's any kind of inaccuracy then it makes it whole Bible suspect, doesn't it?

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Not spelling or grammar mistakes, because these could be printer errors. But any other kind of inaccuracy at all. If there's any kind of inaccuracy then it makes it whole Bible suspect, doesn't it?

yes, sure. But you have to be careful when trying to attribute an inaccuracy to something translated into another language. The inaccuracy could be in the translation. And the other consideration is in understanding the 'figures of speech' used in the old bible language. The Hebrew language for example has figures of speech which are very different to an english persons. What may mean red for them could mean black for us.

Brickjectivity

Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
Staff member
Premium Member
First, no person is 100% trustworthy, so a 100% trustworthy book would not be appropriate. Its unfortunate to have some people believing they are 100% right. Second, you have wrongly assumed that faith has to be put into particular verses. Also the Bible does not prove itself, does not explain itself and does not even tell you much about the cultures of the people who are in it. So...if the Bible is not 100% accurate in what it says then you have a book appropriate for human beings to read. Then reading it is like preparing food, chewing food, and digesting food. That's more realistic, because you should think about it. You should get stronger through moral behavior and learning generosity and care for others, so that you can benefit from more things in the Bible. Some things in the Bible are considered too difficult for people who aren't practiced in good. For them it wouldn't matter if the Bible were 100% right or not, because it would not be digestible material for them. At the other end of the spectrum, someone who is practiced in doing good and caring for others is not hindered by inaccuracies; because they have trained themselves to know what's worthwhile.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Zephaniah 2:3

Why does it say "SEEK" righteousness? Why doesn't it say know it? If the Bible is for knowing righteousness then why does it say seek it?

They read the Bible and they think it tells them about righteousness. Reading isn't seeking.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Know righteousness? No.
Read righteousness? No.
Be told righteousness? No.
Learn righteousness? No.

SEEK IT!

If parts of The Bible are not right, seek the rightness of them.

1 Thessalonians 4:9. Taught by whom? The Bible? All scripture? No. By God.

jojom

yes, sure. But you have to be careful when trying to attribute an inaccuracy to something translated into another language. The inaccuracy could be in the translation. And the other consideration is in understanding the 'figures of speech' used in the old bible language. The Hebrew language for example has figures of speech which are very different to an english persons. What may mean red for them could mean black for us.
No matter where the inaccuracy lies, in the translation or as a figure of speech, if a mistranslation leads to a misunderstanding in a single verse, then the Bible cannot be considered to be infallible. Christians relie on the Bible they're reading to convey the truth, and if an error occurs than the truth could be compromised, and if it is then the Bible would be fallible. And as i said, If small, insignificant verse #6 is wrong, then how can you put your faith in the belief that immensely important verse #22 is right? I don't see how you can,

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Trusting the Bible is the same as trusting the men who wrote it. The Bible itself says do not do that! Psalms 146:3

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
No matter where the inaccuracy lies, in the translation or as a figure of speech, if a mistranslation leads to a misunderstanding in a single verse, then the Bible cannot be considered to be infallible. Christians relie on the Bible they're reading to convey the truth, and if an error occurs than the truth could be compromised, and if it is then the Bible would be fallible. And as i said, If small, insignificant verse #6 is wrong, then how can you put your faith in the belief that immensely important verse #22 is right? I don't see how you can,

Those who translate the bible can be wrong. But that doesnt make the word of God wrong. If we misunderstand a figure of speech, it doesnt make the figure of speech wrong...it just means that we have applied the wrong meaning to it.

And that can happen, there is no doubt about that. You know, for a centuries the english bible translators were actually translating the wrong type of Greek....they thought the greek manuscripts were 'classical greek' but it wasnt until this century scholars learned that the form of greek used in the original manuscripts is actually 'koine greek' This changed a lot of the way our current english bibles are translated. But I would never view the Word of God itself as being wrong.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If God inspired the writing of The Bible then it is God who inspires the reader to know what was communicated.

jojom

First, no person is 100% trustworthy, so a 100% trustworthy book would not be appropriate.
Then an infallible Bible doesn't exist.

Its unfortunate to have some people believing they are 100% right.
Too many in my opinion.

Second, you have wrongly assumed that faith has to be put into particular verses.
No, (and this just occurred to me) if it can lie about history, Noah and the flood for example, or the Tower of Babel, why expect any other claim to be true? I know some people say that some of the stories in the Bible are myths and not to be taken seriously, but this only sets the stage for questioning everything else. Even the big important stuff.

jojom

Those who translate the bible can be wrong. But that doesnt make the word of God wrong.
Sure it does. If the translators misread the Hebrew word for "red" and wrote "black" then the word of god (the Bible) is wrong.

If we misunderstand a figure of speech, it doesnt make the figure of speech wrong...it just means that we have applied the wrong meaning to it.
But isn't this the whole intent of proper translation, to convey the proper meaning, and if it doesn't then the whole purpose is defeated. The reader gets the wrong meaning. He thinks "black" when god meant him to think "red."

And that can happen, there is no doubt about that. You know, for a centuries the english bible translators were actually translating the wrong type of Greek....they thought the greek manuscripts were 'classical greek' but it wasnt until this century scholars learned that the form of greek used in the original manuscripts is actually 'koine greek' This changed a lot of the way our current english bibles are translated. But I would never view the Word of God itself as being wrong.
But if the translations were wrong then the Bible, the Word of God itself, was wrong.

The Neo Nerd

Bart Ehrman wrote a great book called "Misquoting Jesus"

It talks about how doctrinal differences lead scribes to fundamentally change the meaning of passages in the new testament.

It also talks about scribal errors and the genealogy of certain manuscripts, but for the sake of this thread i think the doctrinal differences are the most important.

Misquoting Jesus: The Story Behind Who Changed the Bible and Why: Bart D. Ehrman: 9780060859510: Amazon.com: Books

Bart D. Ehrman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

He is well published new testament scholar and backs up his statements with examples.

If you look hard enough you should be able to find an ebook copy somewhere

jojom

Bart Ehrman wrote a great book called "Misquoting Jesus"

It talks about how doctrinal differences lead scribes to fundamentally change the meaning of passages in the new testament.

It also talks about scribal errors and the genealogy of certain manuscripts, but for the sake of this thread i think the doctrinal differences are the most important.

Misquoting Jesus: The Story Behind Who Changed the Bible and Why: Bart D. Ehrman: 9780060859510: Amazon.com: Books

Bart D. Ehrman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

He is well published new testament scholar and backs up his statements with examples.

If you look hard enough you should be able to find an ebook copy somewhere
Thanks. I found it at my library online. They're holding it for me.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
By spiritual discernment you will naturally see whatever has significants for your life, and that is all you need to know.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Sure it does. If the translators misread the Hebrew word for "red" and wrote "black" then the word of god (the Bible) is wrong.

But isn't this the whole intent of proper translation, to convey the proper meaning, and if it doesn't then the whole purpose is defeated. The reader gets the wrong meaning. He thinks "black" when god meant him to think "red."

But if the translations were wrong then the Bible, the Word of God itself, was wrong.

well lets put it this way, if you wrote me a letter, and I asked someone to translate it into a different language, is what you wrote wrong because the translation came out skewed?

Obviously you'd say no. What you wrote was exactly what you wanted to write Its just that the person who translated your letter got it wrong.

Last edited:

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
First, no person is 100% trustworthy, so a 100% trustworthy book would not be appropriate. Its unfortunate to have some people believing they are 100% right. Second, you have wrongly assumed that faith has to be put into particular verses. Also the Bible does not prove itself, does not explain itself and does not even tell you much about the cultures of the people who are in it. So...if the Bible is not 100% accurate in what it says then you have a book appropriate for human beings to read. Then reading it is like preparing food, chewing food, and digesting food. That's more realistic, because you should think about it. You should get stronger through moral behavior and learning generosity and care for others, so that you can benefit from more things in the Bible. Some things in the Bible are considered too difficult for people who aren't practiced in good. For them it wouldn't matter if the Bible were 100% right or not, because it would not be digestible material for them. At the other end of the spectrum, someone who is practiced in doing good and caring for others is not hindered by inaccuracies; because they have trained themselves to know what's worthwhile.
Well said. However there is one book, and one book only, that we can be sure contains the absolute truth and nothing but the truth. And it is not the Bible. It is this book.

41BnyLL9T2L._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

jojom

well lets put it this way, if you wrote me a letter, and I asked someone to translate it into a different language, is what you wrote wrong because the translation came out skewed?

Obviously you'd say no. What you wrote was exactly what you wanted to wright. Its just that the person who translated your letter got it wrong.
Yup, just as what god said wasn't wrong. What's wrong is how it came out in the end, the final message, in other words, the Bible. The Bible is wrong. And because of this the reader isn't getting the message god had intended.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Yup, just as what god said wasn't wrong. What's wrong is how it came out in the end, the final message, in other words, the Bible. The Bible is wrong. And because of this the reader isn't getting the message god had intended.

well, fortunately there are many people who can read hebrew and greek, and while we do rely on them to translate for us, we can be very confident that they are able to do so very accurately.