• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The last post is the WINNER!

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I can still hear Groucho, "Who's buried in Grant's tomb?"

Also known as Grants Tomb by locals, the mausoleum at General Grant National Memorial is the final resting place for American Civil War Union General and 18th U.S. President Ulysses S. Grant and his wife Julia Dent Grant. Each of thier remains lie within two 8 1/2 ton red Montello Granite Sarcophogi in the center of the round crypt watched over by five busts of Union generals that served under Grant: Sherman, McPherson, Ord, Thomas, and Sheridan. Architect John H. Duncan, who was selected by the Grant Monument Association in 1890, was inspired in part by Napolean's Tomb in Les Invalides, France as well as Helicarnassus in Ancient Greece.

Here is a list of things to do at Grant's Tomb. Public restrooms are available.

Visitor Center

• Contains a permanent exhibit gallery addressing some of the major events in Ulysses S. Grant's life.
  • A bookstore/gift shop offers memorabilia and publications.
  • In the media room, a 20-minute film, Ulysses S. Grant - A Legacy of Freedom, is available to view.
  • Public restrooms are available here.
Mausoleum

• This is the final resting place of President Grant and his wife Julia Dent Grant, and a solemn place for visitors to quietly reflect on his life and achievements.
  • Visitors are invited to explore this impressive stone structure on a self-guided basis. Rangers are available to answer questions.
  • The crypt area, holding two sarcophagi that contain the remains of President Grant and his wife Julia Dent Grant, are available for viewing.
  • Lifelike bronze busts of Grant's senior generals surround the sarcophagi in the crypt area.
  • Two reliquary rooms on the main floor contain American Civil War battle flags, surrounded by murals of maps denoting major engagements of the war.
  • Overhead, three large mosaic murals depict important scenes from Grant's military career.

Memorial Grounds

• The plaza surrounding the mausoleum, and its adjoining grounds are a place for respectful contemplation of Grant's life and achievements, as well as an appreciation of the design and construction of the memorial.
  • A series of tile-mosaic benches, inspired by modernist Antoni Gaudi and commissioned to commemorate the centennial of Yellowstone National Park, surround the sides and rear of the mausoleum.
  • On New York City's Riverside Park, just north of the Mausoleum, visit the Li Hung Chuang commemorative plaque and ginko tree that a grateful China presented to Ulysses S. Grant's Tomb for the time that he helped prevent a war between China and Japan during his post presidency world tour.
Special Events

• Check out our calendar for upcoming special events!

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It would hold a punching bag much more resiliently, too. Image the floor space you could save in your shop.
I'd need a large radial drill if I wanted
it to hold a punching bag. Otherwise
the bag would hit the column.
R.37cfb040a6d5908d9e880f28599bad16

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Ares just discovered riot videos.

Joy.

Good history lesson, but I'm hoping we don't want to 'recreate' that...