• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ten Things about the NRA You Almost Never Hear About

Skwim

Veteran Member
Please read #3 of the OP 10 Surprising Facts About the NRA That You Never Hear
So we see once again the same basic paper tigers that the anti-gun crowd goes after that have no basis in reality, it's technically trolling but who's listening?
That's racist
Small penises
Mental illness
:cryingcat:

When you don't have a valid argument yell "racism" or hint at it to attempt to divert the discussion, it is a well recognized pathology- there are even cartoons about it.... and MEMES!
:cryingcat::cryingcat:
Obviously the tongue-in-cheek nature of the exchange, which started with Sapiens' post #25, has gone right over your head. Oh well, :shrug: no loss.

Sapiens

Polymathematician
Do you remember the OP or did you even read it?
from the OP:10 Surprising Facts About the NRA That You Never Hear
Read # 3
"3. The NRA has a history of supporting the Civil Rights Movement.
While African Americans were being terrorized by the Ku Klux Klan, where the Klan were sometimes aided by local law enforcement, the NRA setup charters to help train local African American communities to be able protect themselves. The most prominent case being in 1960 in Monroe, N.C. where the local National Association for the Advancement of Colored People head Robert Williams also chartered an NRA Rifle Club that successully defended an assault on one of their leader's homes by the KKK without casualties."

That's not today's NRA.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
So what is today's NRA in your opinion and how did you come to that conclusion?
Wayne LaPierre and various NRA board members have been particularly outspoken against LGBT issues for quite some time. And many members (including the most disgusting board member IMO Ken Blackwell) have ties to the Family Research Council, an anti-gay advocacy group. Ken in particular has compared gay marriage to incest and blamed the Orlando club shooting on gays themselves, saying in essence they caused the crumbling moral foundation of society which killed them.

Parchment

Wayne LaPierre and various NRA board members have been particularly outspoken against LGBT issues for quite some time. And many members (including the most disgusting board member IMO Ken Blackwell) have ties to the Family Research Council, an anti-gay advocacy group. Ken in particular has compared gay marriage to incest and blamed the Orlando club shooting on gays themselves, saying in essence they caused the crumbling moral foundation of society which killed them.
This is America and they have a right to voice their personal opinions just like anyone else including pro-gay political advocacy groups, it's covered by the 1st amendment. As far as NRA membership is concerned it is voluntary and there is nowhere on their application that asks for sexual orientation:
Join NRA
There are other pro-gun organizations that LGBT folks can join if they find those specific peoples personal opinions too offensive

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
USA
Gun Owners of America (GOA)
Jews for the Preservation of Firearms Ownership
National Association for Gun Rights
Second Amendment Sisters
National Rifle Association (NRA) (some disagreement within liberty movement - do your own research)
Second Amendment Foundation
The National Skeet Shooting Association and National Sporting Clays Association
Amateur Trapshooting Association
Pink Pistols
Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Women Against Gun Control
Pacific International Trapshooting Association
Zone 7 Skeet
Firearms Policy Coalition
Fifty Caliber Shooters Association

Alabama
Alabama Gun Rights
Alabama Open Carry

Alaska
Alaska Outdoor Council
Alaska Machine Gun Association
Alaska Gun Collectors Assocication
Alaska Interior Marksmanship Committee
Alaska Rifle Club

Arizona
Arizona Citizens Defense League

Arkansas
Arkansas Carry

California
Gun Owners of California
Calguns Foundation

Colorado
Rocky Mountain Gun Owners

Connecticut
Connecticut Gun Rights
Coalition of Connecticut Sportsmen
Connecticut State Rifle & Revolver Association, Inc.
Connecticut Citizens Defense League
Northeast Combat Pistol League
Northwest Connecticut Sportsman's Council
Ye Connecticut Gun Guild, Inc

Delaware
First State Firearms Freedom Association
Delaware State Sportsmen's Association

District of Columbia
LOL!

Florida
Florida Carry, Inc.
Second Amendment Coalition of Florida

Georgia
Georgia Carry
Georgia Sport Shooting Association

Hawaii
Hawaii Rifle Association

Idaho
Lewis-Clark Wildlife Club
Idaho State Rifle and Pistol Association

Illinois
IllinoisCarry
Guns Save Life
Illinois State Rifle Associations

Indiana
2nd Amendment Patriots
Guns Save Life

Iowa
Iowa Gun Owners
Iowa Firearms Coalition

Kansas

Kentucky
Kentucky Coalition to Carry Concealed

Louisiana
Second Amendment Sisters - Louisiana
Louisiana Shooting Association
Louisiana Sportsman
USPSA Louisiana Section
Bayou Shooter

Maine
Gun Owners of Maine
Maine Gun Owners Association

Maryland
Maryland Shall Issue
Maryland Citizens for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Maryland Shooters

Massachusetts
Gun Owners' Action League
Lawful And Responsible Gun Owners

Michigan
Michigan Gun Owners
Michigan Coalition of Responsible Gun Owners (MCRGO)
Michigan Rifle & Pistol Association
Michigan Open Carry

Minnesota
Gun Owners Civil Rights Alliance

Mississippi

Missouri
Western Missouri Shooters Alliance
Gateway Civil Liberties Alliance
Second Amendment Coalition of Missouri

Montana
Montana Shooting Sports Association

Nebraska
Nebraska Firearms Owners Association

Nevada

New Hampshire
New Hampshire Firearms Coalition
Gun Onwers of New Hmpshire
Pro-Gun New Hampshire

New Jersey
New Jersey 2nd Amendment Society
New Jersey Coalition for Self Defense

New Mexico
New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

New York
New York State Rifle and Pistol Association (NYSRPA)
Shooters Committee on Political Education
Sportsmen's Association for Firearms Education

North Carolina
Grass Roots North Carolina
North Carolina Rifle and Pistol Association

North Dakota

Ohio
Ohioans for Concealed Carry
Buckeye Firearms Association

Oklahoma
Oklahoma Open Carry Association (OKOCA)

Oregon
Oregon Firearms Federation
Oregon Gun Owners
Oregon State Shooting Association

Pennsylvania
Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Rhode Island

South Carolina
GrassRoots South Carolina
Gun Owners of South Carolina

South Dakota
South Dakota Gun Owners

Tennessee
Tennessee Firearms Association

Texas
Lone Star Citizens Defense League
Peaceable Texans for Firearms Rights
Texas State Rifle Association

Utah
Gun Owners of Utah
Utah Shooting Sports Council

Vermont
Gun Owners of Vermont

Virginia
Virginia Citizens Defense League
Virginia Gun Owners Coalition

Washington
Washington Arms Collectors

West Virginia
West Virginia Citizens Defense League

Wisconsin
Wisconsin Carry, Inc
Wisconsin Firearm Owners, Ranges, Clubs & Educators

Wyoming
Wyoming Gun Owners

Source

Sapiens

Polymathematician
This is America and they have a right to voice their personal opinions just like anyone else including pro-gay political advocacy groups, it's covered by the 1st amendment. As far as NRA membership is concerned it is voluntary and there is nowhere on their application that asks for sexual orientation:
Join NRA
There are other pro-gun organizations that LGBT folks can join if they find those specific peoples personal opinions too offensive
There are many thinks that you have a right to do that are, never-the-less, despicable.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Some 50 years ago I wouldn't join the NRA cuz they were anti-atheist.
These days, I find'm quite progressive.....better than many nominally
progressive groups.

Wirey

Fartist
We can always count on the anti-gun crowd to make it about the size of a willie.
They never acknowledge that women use guns too.
But we never hear about how that's a Freudian cry for a bigger hoo hah.
Sexism?

I believe I speak for everyone when I ask for a more clear definition of "hoo hah". Is that anything like a "cha cha"?

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Who knows what more extreme measures she might spring
upon us once she gets the top job?
That's a fun game. And we can play it with anyone. Who knows what Trump might spring on us once he gets the job? He might be the most anti-gun prez ever. Or even Gary Johnson might reverse his positions if he got the job.

Hey let's imagine that Trump becomes President and the first thing he does is outlaw bacon. I have no reason or evidence to suggest he would do such a thing, and no reason to think that a President could do that even if he wanted to. But it is a fun game , isn't it?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
That's a fun game. And we can play it with anyone. Who knows what Trump might spring on us once he gets the job?
It's not a game....I fret about that too.
Hillary has a record, & it's not civil liberty friendly, eg, greater opposition to gun rights, opposition to gay marriage.
Trump is a risk, but I judge him to be less of one in this regard.

Acim

Revelation all the time
I am still pro gun control, but when I hear what anti-gun people want to do, it does move me closer to pro gun rights. What I've read on this thread (i.e. NRA fights for violence, or is subversive organization), it makes me not want to vocally express my self as pro-gun control and be associated with that.

It truly seems to me that we have current regulations/restrictions on guns (thus a sense of gun control) and that in many jurisdictions, for whatever reason, prosecutors or judges are lenient on those that break the gun laws. If NRA is saying don't be so lenient on those folks, then I don't get what the pro-gun control people want, or why they think more regulations will be a solution. I really do not see how a ban would work other than to arm outlaws.

One would think the goal for everyone would be to make all gun owners responsible. Of all the gun owners I know (and I know a few personally), they fully expect that if they ever pointed and shot their weapon at a person, they would a) lose that weapon to authorities, b) be treated as a danger until they relinquish the weapon, c) may very well face legal hurdle/jail time if bullet they fire hit a person. I do not think a criminal type using a gun would accept any of that as true for themselves. And arguably would be acting in opposite fashion, ergo irresponsibly.

Anyway, to address what OP asked, I think of NRA as being extremely pro-gun rights and I like to believe they have mission to produce as many responsible gun owners as they possibly can. I do think they attract some pro gun people who are zealots and perhaps a bit unhinged in that zealotry. I think that sucks for them and pro-gun rights people, but I, as pro gun-rights type person, realize they (NRA and responsible gun owners) are constantly facing political pressure from anti-gun types who may also have brand of unhinged zealous supporters, who do think second amendment could be done away with and who think that would be great. As I've said elsewhere, as soon as government is willing to completely disarm, then it would make sense for government/representatives to be advocates for disarming people. Until then, it really really really doesn't make sense.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Join NRA
You didn't ask if they had a right to speak their minds, you asked why NRA shouldn't be considered an advocate for civil rights today. This is one reason. Throwing money and backing behind groups specifically against civil rights issues concerning LGBT.

Parchment

You didn't ask if they had a right to speak their minds, you asked why NRA shouldn't be considered an advocate for civil rights today. This is one reason. Throwing money and backing behind groups specifically against civil rights issues concerning LGBT.

The fact that you have to misrepresent the NRA and outright lie about what I asked and said tells me you have a manipulative personality and anything you say will be an attempt at manipulation. I don't tolerate those types of people in my real life so there is no reason I should tolerate you online, I guess the ignore feature is my only choice for you though I am pretty sure I will come across you again in one form or another.
Now a special message from NRA commentator Chris Cheng:
tHVhwa7-pss