• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rig Veda : English translation by T.H.Griffith

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Just for information of my friends here, after reading Yajurveda translated by Devi Chand, I have started reading Rigveda translated by T.H.Griffith.
I am presently at [01-003] HYMN III. Asvins Verse 10-12:

"10 Wealthy in spoil , enriched with hymns, may bright Sarsavad desire,
With eager love, our sacrifice.
11 Inciter of all pleasant songs, inspirer o all gracious thought,
Sarasvati accept our rite
12 Sarasvati, the mighty flood,- she with be light illuminates,
She brightens every pious thought."
http://www.sanskritweb.net/rigveda/griffith.pdf
What is this Sarasvati? I think it is a river near Kerala, India. Please

Regards

atanu

Premium Member
Veda is for the world, not specific to Indian-Sub-Continent. Some of the Veda was not even revealed in the Indian-Sub-Continent. Right? Please

Regards

Saraswati is the essence of learning, the wisdom. It is also the celestial Word.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Saraswati is the essence of learning, the wisdom. It is also the celestial Word.
Does one mean that Saraswati is not the name of river as mentioned in :
"The Sarasvati River (Sanskrit: सरस्वती नदी sárasvatī nadī) is one of the main Rigvedic rivers mentioned in the scripture Rig Veda and later Vedic and post-Vedic texts."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarasvati_River
And our friend @Aupmanyav told us that Saraswati is/was a river in Herat, Afghanistan that perhaps dried up. Please correct me if I am wrong. Please have consultations with one-another, I don't know Sanskrit, so I won't interfere.

P.S.
One may like to access the following site for Saraswati river:
http://scroll.in/article/723351/was-the-ramayana-actually-set-in-and-around-todays-afghanistan
And of course our friend Capt.Ajiit Vadakayal has a different view.
Regards

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Speaking of Kerala, this morning at Koyil I managed somehow to introduce someone from Kerala to someone else from Kerala.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Speaking of Kerala, this morning at Koyil I managed somehow to introduce someone from Kerala to someone else from Kerala.
Sorry, it is not Koyil it ishttps://www.blogger.com/profile/14410812789424637654
Capt. Ajit Vadakayil
who is perhaps from Kerala:

Now regarding ABRAHAM AND SARA.

Abraham is lifted from the Hindu creator God Brahma. Sara is lifted from Brahma's wife Saraswati.

But the Brahma Saraswati converted to Abraham Sara has zilch moral standards.
Abram in Egypt --Genesis 12:1-20---New International Version (NIV)

"10 Now there was a famine in the land, and Abram went down to Egypt to live there for a while because the famine was severe. 11 As he was about to enter Egypt, he said to his wife Sarai, “I know what a beautiful woman you are. 12 When the Egyptians see you, they will say, ‘This is his wife.’ Then they will kill me but will let you live. 13 Say you are my sister, so that I will be treated well for your sake and my life will be spared because of you.”
14 When Abram came to Egypt, the Egyptians saw that Sarai was a very beautiful woman. 15 And when Pharaoh’s officials saw her, they praised her to Pharaoh, and she was taken into his palace. 16 He treated Abram well for her sake, and Abram acquired sheep and cattle, male and female donkeys, male and female servants, and camels.
17 But the Lord inflicted serious diseases on Pharaoh and his household because of Abram’s wife Sarai. 18 So Pharaoh summoned Abram. “What have you done to me?” he said. “Why didn’t you tell me she was your wife? 19 Why did you say, ‘She is my sister,’ so that I took her to be my wife? Now then, here is your wife. Take her and go!” 20 Then Pharaoh gave orders about Abram to his men, and they sent him on his way, with his wife and everything he had.

In India we do NOT have too many temples for Lord Brahma,the creator. The 7000 year old Brahma temple at Thirunavazha near Calicut was sacked by Tipu Sultan. Thousands of Vedic original manuscripts on palm leaves were burnt-- a loss to humanity.
http://ajitvadakayil.blogspot.ca/2012/07/brahma-and-sarawati-abraham-and-sara.html
Regards

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
759.gif

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
On an unrelated note, I started building a second kavadi arch frame today. A friend liked my previous home built one, so I get to make one for him. Yay.

Know that I just did this so our buddy can find a n Abrahamic word that corresponds to 'kavadi'.

images

atanu

Premium Member

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Didn't one say that the "Aryans" came from the Arctic? Please correct me if I am wrong.
Maybe one told that B.G.Tilak believed that, and your conjecture might be different from him! They we shall have to see arguments given by the both.
The recent research from the DNA's tells that these hordes came from Australia. Mongolians or Tibetans are not "Aryans"? Their habits might be altogether different as to tending cattle on horseback. There is no local tradition in any part of Indian Sub-Continent in any of its tribe/race/ethnicity to that effect.
Sure, they might have come from the sub-Arctic regions, but there were many stops in their journeys. And these stops were in the steppe regions of Europe and Asia. That region falls between sub-Arctic regions and India and Iran - Kazakhistan, Turkmenistan, even Mongolia. I would like the link for your 'From Australia' theory. The normal belief is that Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia and Philippines were populated by earliest humans from East Africa via India. But sure, the Muslims theories could be direct reverse of the common belief. I will not be surprised by that. Is that from your great horse-**** scholar Zakir Naik?

See the image. Minusinsk, close to Mongolia shows a high percentage of R1a haplogroup, normally associated with Aryans.
1024px-R1a_origins_%28Underhill_2010%29_and_R1a1a_oldest_expansion_and_highest_frequency_%282014%29.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haplogroup_R1a#R1a_and_the_Indo-Europeans
Also see my post http://www.religiousforums.com/thre...od-and-post-vedic-period.189906/#post-4861895
Human_migration_out_of_Africa.png

Last edited:

Satyamavejayanti

Well, I have never said that one should not go to a temple. Did I? Please
Regards

Namaste,

Then why don't you go to a temple or ashram, do a bit of Yoga, little meditation, some Bhakti, listen and participate in Yajna, do arti to Deva and Devi. Then find your self a guru and ask questions about Veda, get to know your Guru, get to know Hindus and Hinduism, understand the practices and how they are linked to Veda. Get interested in a Darshan, indulge in tapasya and find your self.

Why do you just want to read translations by people you don't even know?

But no compulsion, it is up to you what you do with your self.

Look, i was where you are now, reading translations, buying and downloading books, Ive read many translations of all Veda, many Upanishads, Brahmanas, Darshan Shastra, Ramayana, mahabharatta, Gita, puranas ect ect, and found that this is the lower knowledge, the higher knowledge is by which I know my self and that is not taught in any book.

Dhanyavad.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
What is this Sarasvati? I think it is a river near Kerala, India.
Initially Saraswati was this, a celestial river: The Milky Way galaxy.

images

Later Aryans named the major river where they stayed as Saraswati or Sarayu (both meaning wet, flowing). So at one time, the Herat river Hari-Rud, was known as Sarayu (Haroyu) and Helmand river Arghandab was known as Saraswati (Harahvaiti) - (Iranians pronounced 's' as 'h'). When Aryans came to India, they named a Punjab river as Saraswati, Unfortunately due to earthquake the river dried up around 1,900 BC and caused another movement of Aryans settled on its banks. When the Aryans reached Western Uttar Pradesh, they named a river there as Sarayu. Ayodhya was located on the banks of this river. It is possible that many small rivers in India may also be known as Saraswati. All people wanted their own Saraswati.

Last edited:

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Initially Saraswati was this, a celestial river: The Milky Way galaxy.

images

Later Aryans named the major river where they stayed as Saraswati or Sarayu (both meaning wet, flowing). So at one time, the Herat river Hari-Rud, was known as Sarayu (Haroyu) and Helmand river Arghandab was known as Saraswati (Harahvaiti) - (Iranians pronounced 's' as 'h'). When Aryans came to India, they named a Punjab river as Saraswati, Unfortunately due to earthquake the river dried up around 1,900 BC and caused another movement of Aryans settled on its banks. When the Aryans reached Western Uttar Pradesh, they named a river there as Sarayu. Ayodhya was located on the banks of this river. It is possible that many small rivers in India may also be known as Saraswati. All people wanted their own Saraswati.
Is it mentioned in Veda? Please
Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Namaste,
Then why don't you go to a temple or ashram, do a bit of Yoga, little meditation, some Bhakti, listen and participate in Yajna, do arti to Deva and Devi. Then find your self a guru and ask questions about Veda, get to know your Guru, get to know Hindus and Hinduism, understand the practices and how they are linked to Veda. Get interested in a Darshan, indulge in tapasya and find your self.
Why do you just want to read translations by people you don't even know?
But no compulsion, it is up to you what you do with your self.
Look, i was where you are now, reading translations, buying and downloading books, Ive read many translations of all Veda, many Upanishads, Brahmanas, Darshan Shastra, Ramayana, mahabharatta, Gita, puranas ect ect, and found that this is the lower knowledge, the higher knowledge is by which I know my self and that is not taught in any book.
Dhanyavad.
I have made a program to go to a temple with a friend. Even earlier I also have visited, but I don't like idols and their worship being done. I think it is against human dignity to worship an idol/statue. Is it commanded in Veda to make idols and statues and to worship them? Please

Moses as per Torah killed 3000 from his own Judaism people who made a golden calf and started worshiping it. Moses even burned the golden calf and put the ashes in the river. One may get it confirmed from the Judaism people there are some members of them like friend @RabbiO . He will never hesitate and happily confirm it and provide its justification also.

Regards

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I have made a program to go to a temple with a friend. Even earlier I also have visited, but I don't like idols and their worship being done. I think it is against human dignity to worship an idol/statue. Is it commanded in Veda to make idols and statues and to worship them?

Moses as per Torah killed 3000 from his own Judaism people who made a golden calf and started worshiping it. Moses even burned the golden calf and put the ashes in the river. One may get it confirmed from the Judaism people there are some members of them like friend @RabbiO . He will never hesitate and happily confirm it and provide its justification also.
If you do not like idols then why should you go to a temple? You pray by raising your hands towards the sky. Why? Do you think that Allah stays only in the sky? Even your own book says Allah rules over East as well as West. Is Mecca the only house of God? Does he not have other houses in the world? Does Allah not exist in four directions and down below? This is called 'substitution'. This is a representation. The house of God in Mecca also is a representation. For theists God lives in all directions and in everything. Idols also are representation, like the flag or the national symbol. Theist hindus worship the idols as representation of God (I don't as I am an atheist. But I do not get angry at other people if they do that). Till the intention is to remember God, be peaceful, be righteous, I do not see any harm in their worship of idols. Insisting that only your view is correct and all others who think otherwise are wrong is a bad thing. This creates conflict in the world and wars. Hindus do not accept this kind of thought. I do not think what Moses did was a very correct thing. He was cruel. If he did such a heinous thing, I do not believe that he was a God's prophet. And if a God is supposed to have asked him to do such a thing, then surely he is a false God. Did Mohammad also do something like this?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
If you do not like idols then why should you go to a temple? You pray by raising your hands towards the sky. Why? Do you think that Allah stays only in the sky? Even your own book says Allah rules over East as well as West. Is Mecca the only house of God? Does he not have other houses in the world? Does Allah not exist in four directions and down below? This is called 'substitution'. This is a representation. The house of God in Mecca also is a representation. For theists God lives in all directions and in everything. Idols also are representation, like the flag or the national symbol. Theist hindus worship the idols as representation of God (I don't as I am an atheist. But I do not get angry at other people if they do that). Till the intention is to remember God, be peaceful, be righteous, I do not see any harm in their worship of idols. Insisting that only your view is correct and all others who think otherwise are wrong is a bad thing. This creates conflict in the world and wars. Hindus do not accept this kind of thought. I do not think what Moses did was a very correct thing. He was cruel. If he did such a heinous thing, I do not believe that he was a God's prophet. And if a God is supposed to have asked him to do such a thing, then surely he is a false God. Did Mohammad also do something like this?
Because I love the Veda believers and want to tell them that I am with them and respect, love and value them. It is a positive gesture. Isn't it? Please
But I don't join their worship.
The same way I go to churches to Gurdwaras , to Buddhist temples to any worship place of any religion, they are my follow humanity religionists. I may have gone to Atheism peoples' worship house, but Alas! they don't have one here. They have one in the UK, an Atheist Church, if I ever went there and had the means, I will be happy to meet the people there. Right? Please
Regards