• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is FGM really cultural?

Kirran

Premium Member
It is a wrong assumption.
The Muslims should not do anything against the teachings of Quran/Islam/Muhammad.
Regards

I don't believe the Quran or the Prophet ever condemned the practice.

And in any case, most Muslims doing it consider it an Islamic practice.

The idea that 'religion' exists independently of culture is nonsensical anyway. Religion is simply a part of culture, it doesn't have some objective 'true' form, it has multiple cultural forms.

FGM being cultural doesn't mean it is not also religious, and FGM being religious doesn't mean it's not cultural either.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
I read your posts. Blablabla ...emotions cloud judgement and therefore should be removed to have a rational discussion.

That is what I read.

Well, you're not understanding, then. I never said they should be removed. Your posts certainly invoke an emotional reaction in me: one of pretty bad personal hurt and offense because of ... personal history. That's not going to change.

What I'm attempting to do, however, is reduce as best I can the impact of that hurt on my thinking and arguing.

Then you imagine some things about freedom and subjectivity showing you don't have a ready practical understanding of it in your mind.

I've thought long and hard on both these issues for years, because I hear this vague "freedom" thing so much from other Americans, and have gotten very frustrated with it. Same with subjectivity, which you'd know if you interacted with me frequently on these forums.

I've explained these matters as I understand them. You've not refuted them beyond "you're wrong".

Creationism, like other science, is also demanding to get the facts exactly right about how things are decided. I do not see any discipline about it to get those facts right.

That's not what any of the sciences are about, as such exactness isn't really possible. It's also not relevant to the discussion, as the only "science" on the table is the very soft social science.

I'm still left with my admittedly superficial judgement on the spirit of these circumcized women which looked special and good to me. And nothing was said that helped me to make a better judgement than I had.

You can make whatever judgment you want, as can I. We're both presenting our views, and frankly it's gotten too personal. That's not helping matters.

Looncall

It is a wrong inference.
The scripture does not record FGM literally.
Please quote from the scripture to prove your viewpoint.

Regards
Whether or not something is explicitly in scripture can be beside the point. What is in scripture can lead to certain attitudes and habits of thought.

The scriptures in question clearly devalue women and place unhealthy emphasis on purity. That that leads to FGM should surprise no one.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Whether or not something is explicitly in scripture can be beside the point. What is in scripture can lead to certain attitudes and habits of thought.

The scriptures in question clearly devalue women and place unhealthy emphasis on purity. That that leads to FGM should surprise no one.

I don't agree with you.

Regards