• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dualism- God and Devil?

anders

Runt,

Having read a fair number of your posts, I must confess that it will be difficult for me to find something to attack.

Master Vigil

It may be a childrens film, but I like it because I am a taoist/zen martial artist, and the jedi are like such. I am not obsessed or anything, it is just very fun to watch and see the similarities. And you can insult me too. :)

"In the end, all things come full circle. For all adults, must become children again. And in doing so, become at peace with their adult ideas."
My grand master said that to me a while ago.

Runt

Anders--

8) Nonetheless, I encourage you to try. I am bored... people aren't arguing with me as much anymore!!!

Master Vigil--

I agree. I think Star Wars is fun too... for some of the same reasons (I agree somewhat with its philosophy, and I'm into martial arts). As for it being childish... well, I'm still practically a child, right? So I have that privilage (or excuse) to watch childish movies (yay... Disney is fun too!)

In Christianity there is no cosmic dualism. Destruction is transmuted into creation. God is the ultimate alchemist and Jesus is the Philosopher's stone.

anders said:
But we need evil. Otherwise, we would not know what "good" is.

Only in the temporal realm ('realm' such a horrible word) do we 'need' evil. In eternity there will be only good. And with no evil to contrast the good, I suppose you could say that even good will be transcended.

Master Vigil

I guess you can argue that in eternity there will be no evil. But since evil and good are so subjective, and how no one knows what eternity will bring. I guess its up to your own opinions. My opinion is that eternity is not solely good, or evil, it is the perfect balance between them. Peace, and balance.

Rex

Founder
Master Vigil said:
I guess you can argue that in eternity there will be no evil. But since evil and good are so subjective, and how no one knows what eternity will bring. I guess its up to your own opinions. My opinion is that eternity is not solely good, or evil, it is the perfect balance between them. Peace, and balance.

I see the future the same as the past. 1 civilization will rise and them demolish itself with another civilization pecking at its heels.

Over and over and over and over again.

Master Vigil

The only thing constant is change. However the Tao creates this change which makes it constant as well. The Tao does not change however, but change is constant within the Tao.

Runt

Change
Is an everlasting
Reality
That you can depend on.
Everything you meet,
You Change.
All that you Change
Changes you.
Change does not think.
Change does not care for you.
Do not worship Change,
As such forces neither need
Nor see
Your adoration.

Instead
Go along with Change.
When Change is inconvenient,
Shape it around your needs.
When taken by surprise,
Find the benefits in Change.
Get a hold on Change,
So you can use
And study it.
Learn from what you see.
Adjust and mature.

Master Vigil

I'm guessing you wrote that. I write mostly sonnets, but I like to mix things up sometimes. Instead of writing in iambic pentameter, i'll write it in trochaic tetrameter, and i'll switch lines, and stuff. Its fun like that. Maybe i'll share some of my work with you someday.

Runt

Yeah, I wrote it back when I was 12 and convinced there was no God, only Change. Never occured to me then that "Change" COULD be God in a way...

I have written one or two things in iambic pentameter, but because most poems that I write with rhythm and a distinct format tell a story, I have found that it is slightly easier to write them with 8 syllables per line. However, the poems I write that are philosophical in nature tend to be free or blank verse (depending on my mood). Dunno why, other than it seems to work best...

Master Vigil

I never liked blank verse. It never flowed right for me. I always have to have a set meter, and set rhyme scheme. Or else it doesn't feel like poetry. I dunno, that just my insanity.

I agree with Master Vigil, though I would extend the logic that "good" and "evil" exist solely in our minds.... I would argue that "God" also exists solely in our minds.

Master Vigil

I don't believe in the judeo christian idea of god. I am a Taoist, I understand the Tao is the eternal first cause.

What's the difference between this Tao fellow and God?

To me they both sound like words used to fill in the gaps of what we don't really know. What if physicist were to discover a "first cause" of everything? Would you call that "Tao"?

Master Vigil

First of all the biggest difference is that the Tao isn't a fellow. The Tao is the perfect balance and union of opposites, with no gender, and no human characteristics. It is the first cause, and last cause. I creates, and destroys. It is the force behind all, but is not an all loving being that is thought of as the judeo christian god.

If a physicist could find the first cause for everything in the entire tangible universe and the entire intangible spirit world. Yes, I would call that Tao. But I do not need someone to "find" it for me. I understand it, and I understand its affect on the universe.

Well, what if Quantum theory turns out to be correct, and the Big Bang is therefore explained because a random quantum event could have caused it. You're saying that that random quantum event would be "Tao"?

That sounds to me like you would be in total agreement then with atheists, only you have labeled something that occurs in nature (random quantum events) with the name "Tao".