• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Doubtful of the moonlanding

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Political.

The reason we did the moon landing was to show Soviet how strong, resourceful, and competent we were. Soviet were planning to go to the Moon. They sent up the first human into space. We couldn't fall behind. We had to beat them by being the first. After it was done, there wasn't as much of a need to show our strength. The power play was done, and we won it, so it wasn't as interesting anymore. No drive. No interest. No incentive. So instead more and more focus came on satellites (which has given us GPS, cell phones, TV, and international calling).

By the way, we were extremely lucky that it succeeded. It was on a whim, and had high probability to fail.
We sent 6 missions to the moon. In no way did we "lose interest" after the first one in 1969.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
We sent 6 missions to the moon. In no way did we "lose interest" after the first one in 1969.
True, but the interest wasn't the same. The first trip was to show our ability. The other 5 were more scientific and because we could do it. But the interest was dwindling. There wasn't as much push or help from the political side of things. We did go there the first time very much because of JFK's moon speech. Incentive is the key to why it happened. The following trips were driven by the inertia from the first one, but the interest wasn't there as before from the government, at least not landing on the Moon. The interest to build a defense system was greater than going to the Moon.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
True, but the interest wasn't the same. The first trip was to show our ability. The other 5 were more scientific and because we could do it. But the interest was dwindling. There wasn't as much push or help from the political side of things. We did go there the first time very much because of JFK's moon speech. Incentive is the key to why it happened. The following trips were driven by the inertia from the first one, but the interest wasn't there as before.
The following trips were driven by science. There really isn't much use for another moon landing. Our sights are set on bigger things now.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
The following trips were driven by science.
Agree. Didn't I say that? Then I just missed pointing that out.

Let me put it simpler.

1st Moon landing : incentive by government for political purpose to show strength to Soviet. Big budget from government. Whip/Carrot in the hands of powerful officials who could drive through budget money.
2-5th Moon landing: incentive was scientific. The people with the whip/carrot didn't care as much for the Moon, but started to have more interest in closer space (satellites and such).

There really isn't much use for another moon landing. Our sights are set on bigger things now.
Agree. But we probably need a station on the Moon anyway, as a midway station to Mars.

jonathan180iq

Why cant mankind repeat the moon landing if that ever happened in the 60's?

As stated, it was repeated 6 other times after Armstrong and Aldrin.
Please note that there were 10 missions prior to Apollo 11 which prepared us for the final descent and landing, including two (IIRC) that went all the way there, orbited the moon and returned safely. All of this was done at great expense and with great care before we finally touched down.

Since then, there has been no reason to return humans to the moon. Because even as technology has advanced, there is still an 11% disaster rate for launching vehicles into space. You simply cannot open up a space flight industry to the public knowing that 1 in every 10 flights might blow up before ever leaving the atmosphere... So no, it doesn't follow that we should be vacationing on the Moon by now.

Also, every space agency in the world right now is focused on getting humans to Mars in the next 20 years. That is our next great endeavour and this time it's a global collective goal. We are no longer pressured by wars and political motivators - the goal has switched to that of being almost purely scientific, which is amazeballs. That's a real scientific word.

If we needed or wanted too, we could go back to the moon in just a couple of years, but that would require reallocating resources from all over NASA into one collective focus, and for what? Just to say that we can still do it? There's no real value in that. There's not too much more than we can learn from sending people to the moon... It's just not something we need to focus on - simple as that.

Want to see what's going to be taking us to Mars?
(This video was taken yesterday....)

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Modern humans are just too smart to launch the wildly unreliable and inefficient data collection and transmission devices known as "humans" into space.
The goal is to learn and robotic devices are just plain better in every way for that job.
Tom

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
This question is messing my head:

Dont say its about money! Iam sure all the rich people and middle class can donate for moon landing!
Dont say its about fear for human loss! Iam sure there are volunteers ready to fall as martyrs for science!

I am doubtful that we are able to build giant stone pyramids like the Egyptians. Why don't we build them now if they were able to do it 5000 years ago?

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
Why did we go to the Moon?

"On May 25, 1961, President John F. Kennedy announced before a special joint session of Congress the dramatic and ambitious goal of sending an American safely to the Moon before the end of the decade. A number of political factors affected Kennedy's decision and the timing of it. In general, Kennedy felt great pressure to have the United States "catch up to and overtake" the Soviet Union in the "space race." Four years after the Sputnik shock of 1957, the cosmonaut Yuri Gagarin had become the first human in space on April 12, 1961, greatly embarrassing the U.S. While Alan Shepard became the first American in space on May 5, he only flew on a short suborbital flight instead of orbiting the Earth, as Gagarin had done. In addition, the Bay of Pigs fiasco in mid-April put unquantifiable pressure on Kennedy. He wanted to announce a program that the U.S. had a strong chance at achieving before the Soviet Union. After consulting with Vice President Johnson, NASA Administrator James Webb, and other officials, he concluded that landing an American on the Moon would be a very challenging technological feat, but an area of space exploration in which the U.S. actually had a potential lead. Thus the cold war is the primary contextual lens through which many historians now view Kennedy's speech."
http://history.nasa.gov/moondec.html (History NASA)

Why did we stop going to the Moon?
"The Apollo Moon program was stopped by the U.S. Congress after the Apollo 17 mission. NASA’s total budget was cut and the remaining program of human flights was redirected toward the less expensive Apollo-Soyus joint flight with the USSR, the three Skylad missions (the first space station), and eventually the Space Shuttle and International Space Station."
http://sservi.nasa.gov/?question=why-has-nasa-stopped-missions-to-the-moon (Solar System Research, NASA)

Laika

Premium Member
space_launch_system.png

Oh boy. I walked right in to that one.

Servant_of_the_One1

Guys explain me why there is no human on the moon, yet there are people in the space ship???

Dont give me the money excuse. If that was true, then why are there people now in the space shuttle??

Sadly i became disbeliever in the moonlanding story. Because there is no cold evidence. Just video and pics. Which can be made by Hollywood....

@Revoltingest Iam atheist in moonlanding story. It didnt happen. :(
Where are the sands? Where are the rocks? Where are Moon souvenirs??

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Guys explain me why there is no human on the moon, yet there are people in the space ship???

Dont give me the money excuse. If that was true, then why are there people now in the space shuttle??

Sadly i became disbeliever in the moonlanding story. Because there is no cold evidence. Just video and pics. Which can be made by Hollywood....

All of the forms of evidence you request are ready and waiting for you. Just do a simple Google Search for each. Plenty of rocks. They actually have one at the natural history museum where I live in DC. I've touched it myself.

What did you mean about the guy in the ship? Those pictures were taken recently. The equipment and lander are still there, but the astronauts came back decades ago.

jonathan180iq

There are no humans on the Moon because there is no active mission currently which has any need to put humans on the moon...

The Space Shuttle program ended in 2011...

There are no people on the Moon because there is no active mission which requires or needs people to be on the moon.

147118main_neilandaward.jpg

Neil Armstrong

130507092326-buzz-aldrin-2-story-top.jpg

Buzz Aldrin

pete-conrad.jpg

Pete Conrad

essay1.jpg

Alan Bean

Alan-Shepherd-with-6-iron.jpg

Alan Shepard

923.jpg

Edgar Mitchell

article-2637666-1E26E45B00000578-242_634x705.jpg

David Scott

Jim%2BIrwin%2Bastronauta.jpg

James Irwin

John_Watts_Young.jpg

John W. Young

Charles+Duke+Apollo+Astronauts+Mark+40th+Anniversary+zXcFPKn9c7kl.jpg

Charles Duke

120821_eugene_cernan_ap_328.jpg

Eugene Cernan

5279e96788459.preview-620.jpg

Harrison Schmitt

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery

Education can be a powerful thing. Some human animals give me the impression that their religious belief stunts their intellectual development.

jonathan180iq

SEE ALSO:

museum-notes-2.jpg

This bit rock came from the Moon. It's a piece of Basalt, if I'm not mistaken and I've seen it personally at least 15 times this year alone. It's currently housed at the Tellus Science Museum here in Georgia.
It was brought back to Earth during the Apollo 15 mission in this box...

13ddb393bd119a5fc0a3c2bbde1efd26.jpg

Called a sample return container

It's a shard of a larger 21-pound fragment which was broken off of a boulder on the moon using this hammer...

judy34.jpg

http://www.lpi.usra.edu/lunar/missions/apollo/apollo_15/samples/

Parsimony

It's much cheaper, easier and safer to put a human in near-Earth orbit than it is to send them to the Moon and back.
See comment above.
So are you a disbeliever in all of the probes we sent into space and all of the images that they gathered as well? Voyager, New Horizons, Dawn, Pioneer, etc.? All of that could made in Hollywood too, could it not?
I saw one of the Moon rocks myself in a museum. We do have them.

Just because we are capable of doing something and have done it before does not mean that we will keep on doing it again and again, especially when it is expensive, dangerous and the gain does not justify the costs. Why exactly would we go back to the Moon if it was just for the sake of a quick visit like Apollo did? We've already done that several times, so what would be the benefit? If we are going to go back to the Moon, then we need something more, like a manned base. That is significantly more difficult than a short stay, as the base would have to be able to recycle food, water and oxygen continually for a long time (it's too expensive to continually send shipments of food there) and they would have to be protected from prolonged radiation exposure. Not to mention the potentially harmful effects of living in 1/6th gravity for extended periods of time.

The first manned descent to Challenger Deep (the deepest known point in the Earth's ocean) took place in 1960. It wasn't until 2012 that a second manned submersible was sent there. So why did humans wait 52 years to go back despite certain people and organizations no doubt having the technology and money to do it again if they wanted? Could you use that large time frame as evidence that no one had ever been there in the first place? I'd say not...

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Dont say its about money! Iam sure all the rich people and middle class can donate for moon landing!
Dont say its about fear for human loss! Iam sure there are volunteers ready to fall as martyrs for science!

That pretty much eliminates the reasons already. I was going to say money.

Maybe it's a manner of practicality?

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member

why would we and for what gain?

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Sadly i became disbeliever in the moonlanding story. Because there is no cold evidence. Just video and pics.

Well, that is much better evidence than an angel Gabriel gave the Quran to a 7th century Arabic warlord ever had.
Why do you believe that and not the Apollo missions?
Tom